Polaris Clutch Interchange

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

dieselbikin
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Polaris Clutch Interchange

Post by dieselbikin »

Coachgeo mentioned he was doing some research on Polaris clutch interchangability and I came across an interesting thread:
http://forum.highlifter.com/m1984141-print.aspx
That led to a helpful website:
http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp
This appears to offer most of the interchange information we need. It is helpful to read the entire post because it explains a problem most will run into when using this site. When you first pull up a particular model, such as a 2005 Sportsman 500, all the parts for that model will come up by category in the right hand column. If you make the right hand column wider you will see that next to each part number is hyperlink that says usage. When you click on that you will be shown every model that uses that part. ATV and snowmobiles are shown seperate. I tried to look up a snowmobile while I was still in the ATV section and of course it could not find it. Also, there is an advanced search if you only have a part number. Hope this helps.
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
dieselbikin

Re: Polaris Clutch Interchange

Post by dieselbikin »

It appears the Comet 94C/102C/108C are all designed to be used with the 90D/100D secondary clutches.
http://ebookbrowse.com/comet-102c-and-9 ... d412498185
Tuning guide for the above. Used on engines up to a 1000cc.
http://gtcmanufacturing.com/Comet-102c- ... -Guide.pdf
http://www.sledgear.com/driventech.htm
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

dieselbikin wrote:Coachgeo mentioned he was doing some research on Polaris clutch interchangability and I came across.... website:
http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp
This appears to offer most of the interchange information we need.....When you first pull up a particular model, such as a 2005 Sportsman 500, all the parts for that model will come up by category in the right hand column. If you make the right hand column wider you will see that next to each part number is hyperlink that says usage. When you click on that you will be shown every model that uses that part..... Hope this helps.
When looking thru this site with detailed eye this parts site showes not ALL the other models as is suggested above but only those in the same model range

For the CVT it shows
. a part number for a "whole CVT clutch; guts and all "based on model of ATV or Sled along with a few cross references of nearly identical ATV or sled via the "usage" link that used the whole same set up.
. part numbers for the guts (springs, weights, helix etc.) based on ATV or Sled Model number as well as; again via the usage link, a few other model ATV's or Sleds that are nearly identical AKA various versions of the same model.

Example: If the model is the Ranger Diesel ATV... the "usage" link will only lead you to other versions of the ranger diesel. It wont tell you if any other outside that Ranger Diesel model used same parts. To assume that to mean that Only Ranger diesel parts fit the varous ranger diesel models.. is contrary to the folk telling us the base CVT unit is same thru out all or a major part of the Polaris line.

Also; what It does not show is a part number for the actual base CVT clutch mechanisim that all these parts go into it only shows as said above a WHOLE cvt package part number or inividual part numbers for the gut pieces per model. So except by looking at pics provided as a guide... there still is no confirmation that at least a set of the base clutch units in the polaris line these guts go into are the same or not.

But.... when shopping for a clutch thru an ATV rebuilder he to said the Polaris base CVT unit was all the same. Am going to try to pin him down for more detail such as years and models.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Talked to http://www.hpd-inc.com/ who makes custom CVT Polaris setups and sells parts. VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE, FRIENDLY and HELPFUL!

Here is the synopsis of what he recommends for us folk building with 3cyl engines when using Polaris CVT setups.

Primary / Drive clutch
. Spring- Blue w/green stripe (a soft spring) approx 25usd
. Weights- get an adjustable set to avoid buying several sets; at different weights, to experiment with (each set approx 60usd ). Adjustable set made by Team Industry. Cost approx. 200usd. Others available closer to 100usd but shorter range in total weight?
. washers tungsten at 5xgram each available for even more fine tuning cost$$

Secondary / Driven
. Spring Violet (custom HPD heavier duty spring. Designed and used successfully for over 20yrs. Designed to grab belt tighter. Should help overcome torque of diesel thus greatly reducing slippage. Approx 25usd
. Helix- stock (lowest angle best for diesel. Stock is aprox 40 degree

Belt- High dollar kevlar impregnated type cost 100-150usd

Centre distance of clutch to clutch. 10" give or take 1/8th of an inch.

polaris's diesel Ranger has its RPM set at 2000 soooooo it's CVT has 80gram weights and odd shaped. He thinks these are probably too heavy for our 3cyl diesel bikes based on my guess of our setups with turbo etc will be sitting closer to mid 2000's-3000 and higher RPM . Though I could have given him wrong estimates?

Will be interesting to see how the $$ adds up compared to off the shelf new

as to running them backward........... YES and NO. Many Polaris secondary's Helix are cut with a ramp in BOTH directions. Myself I've seen pics of some other brands that have two directions of Helix as well. Thus no issue with these type secondary being spun in reverse direction; Helix angle wise. BUTTTTTTTTTT ........ the spring will need to be wound in opposite direction to get it to shift/travel up/down the ramp properly.

SIDE NOTE: Another source though recalls there was one model of a 6wheeler that used a backward secondary so mayyyyyyyybe there is an OEM spring out there that is reverse wound?
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

came across this recently

Polaris P90 clutch
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com wrote: Theres also the Polaris P90 clutch that is used on Polaris ATV's. These can be found on ebay pretty cheap. If you go this route you have to bore the clutch to 1" straight and broach a keyway. You may or may not have to calibrate the clutch engagement RPM for your engine by changing springs and weights. Depends on what the clutch came off of. I have never done this nor know anyone who has but some Baja SAE Racing Teams use modded P90's for their Briggs straight shaft engines.

Straight from Polaris wrote: · How should we mount the P90 clutch to our engine?
· I would recommend boring the clutch to the correct diameter and depth (1” dia X approx. 3.75” depth) and then broaching the ¼” keyway. The 1” bore will not clean up the entire original taper, but if you hold the diameter tightly, you will have plenty to pilot on. I like this method better than making an adapter or modifying the crankshaft.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/big-bloc ... tions.html
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Couple weeks ago I discovered Polaris is a sponsor for the SAE Baja. In this college engineers build ATV's and race them in Baja. I emailed this department at Polaris since so many others were useless for information for custom application questions. It had been awhile so figured I would not get a response....... till today.

Startling information!!!

For starters THE CLUTCHES ARE NOT ALL THE SAME!* But some hints were provided to what of their products might work and when they wont. Unfortunately mine wont for my 3cyl diesel :(
Polaris Response Letter wrote:
Questions from Coach George wrote:I purchased a CVT from a Polaris TrailBlazer 250 2000yr model.

Now that I search more I discover there are two models. So would that be a P85 set up or P90? How does one tell when shopping for a used Polaris CVT?

This is for a custom project: 1997 Triumph Tiger motorcycle using a 700cc 3cyl Kubota diesel. Presently assuming will eventually turbo it. Intent is street and backroad touring bike.

Should I shop for the opposite model I have?

What are the underdrive and overdrive ratio's of the two models?

Any suggestions on starting setup w/weights springs etc. on one or both models.....
In response to your clutching questions, the expert on clutches replied as follows,

“Saying P90 or P85 is not a real great descriptor of what clutch you have…that designates the diameter of the clutch and that’s it. There are over 100 configurations of the P90 that we have produced since 1990.

A trail Boss 250 would have a P90, narrow spider, non-idlebearing clutch. As for advice on what to use, there is no way that you could get adequate pinch force on that belt with that clutch without some significant step-up in RPM from crankshaft speed. A P85 doesn’t help either as the spider pin location is the same relative to the weight and it uses the narrow spider too.

To have a ghost of a chance, he would either need to use a wide-spider clutch out of a Sportsman, RZR, or Ranger 800 and custom machine the heaviest weight he can fit in there, use the clutch out of a 2013 Ranger 900 with the stock weight and a stiffer spring, or a ranger diesel clutch.

My best swag at what would work would be a 2013 Ranger 900 XP drive clutch and 26-89 weights with 2013 Ranger 900 Diesel primary spring connected to a driven clutch out of a 2012-2013 RZR/Ranger 800 or 570 these all have different spline configurations on them. But I still suspect it’ll be on the light side. You may need to still add additional weight to the primary to get it close.

If you turbo it, you will be out of the range of what you can hit with Polaris clutches and steel weights, you’ll need to either use tungsten slugs in the weights or bump up to a bigger drive clutch like the TEAM primary clutch.

Ratios will vary based on center distance, but usually are in the realm of ~3.5:1 to .8:1 using a 3211149 belt and a 10.5” CD which would be a good starting point.

Good luck, you have a long road ahead of you!”

Best of luck,
*I should caveat this in review. They may still be the same. the "spider" referred to above mayyyy be a part that can interchange between clutches.