Turbo and Fuel efficiency

Doing stuff with air...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Turbo and Fuel efficiency

Post by alexanderfoti »

Just a thought.

When adding forced induction to a 400cc yanmar clone (or any diesel for that matter) what happens to the fuel economy?

Assuming you dont use all the power constantly (or limit the extra fuel being delivered) it should give better fuel economy as there is excess air ensuring the fuel is burned more evenly!

thoughts?
Stuart
Site Admin

Re: Turbo and Fuel efficiency

Post by Stuart »

Yes, sounds about right. More oxygen & it'll give you a better bang. Inter cooler would be even better :-)
Try a longish corrugated pipe on the intake too. My Hatz 1B30 ported some of the cooling air (being sucked in & over the engine) up a small a small pipe into the air box.
It all helps with efficiency.
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Cool!

Im not interested so much in getting more power, just more mpg, as its all city riding I do anyway.
BertTrack
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by BertTrack »

Just like any other diesel with turbo.

The efficiency only increases when you use enough power to at least spin the turbo fast enough to overcome it's added restriction to the exhaust and inlet. This is the reason why they have so much trouble finding a right turbo for a wide power range.

Manufacturers solve this by using bypass valves and controlled vanes to allow a turbo to work in a wider range without causing trouble.

It's not simply add-on and it's more efficient in the whole range unfortunatly.
Nanko

Post by Nanko »

My experience is a turbo engine consumes about 10% more fuel.
Same car , one 1900 ccM non turbo ,the other a 1800ccm turbo.
Average consumption was 1:20 resp. 1:18,5 ( liter/KM )
peugeot TUD5 - MOTO GUZZI 16.500 km so far
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Hmm ok so a turbo is not a good way to get a higher fuel efficiency, good to know :)
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

All previous coments are good. But and its a big but, there are a lot of things to consider. At low rpm the turbo drains power. At high rpm it produces more power. So if you consider two cars with same specs apart from turbo.
The one without the turbo will pull harder from tickover, the turbo one will have more power at middle or top rpm.
The two cars will have two different gearboxes. On the car without turbo top gear is what the engine can pull on normal conditions,max rpm, (no hill ,no headwind, no big trailer) But the car with the turbo will produce more hp at a similar rpm so needs a taller gear to go faster. But at low rpm has lower power so with the same 1st gear might struggle with a fully loaded trailer. So if your thoughts are to just add a turbo to a single cylinder diesel engine,with only a small power band 1000rpm to 3600rpm you are effectively making it even smaller. So the original question will it use more fuel. Yes without a gear change. One good thing about a turbo is you barely need an exhaust.
Sam