diesel oil

It's the most important thing...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Diesel Graham
Been here a while now..

diesel oil

Post by Diesel Graham »

Hello,
can anyone suggest an oil for the greaves diesel engine in the enfield?

it only has a mesh filter so I guess non-detergent oil would be best?
I am currently using diesel car oil but now I am putting more miles on it I want to be sure I am doing the right thing for the engine.
Enfield Taurus Greaves - running well now!
Lohmann 18cc - undergoing restoration
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Diesel Oil for the Greaves

Post by Diesel Dave »

Graham,

I use Comma 15w40 Diesel Oil and change it very regularly - about once a month but this is up to 1200 miles for me.

After pulling the filter for the first few changes, I now find that there's nowt cought up in the mesh so I now do this annually.

As the motor only takes 1.2 litres you can get 4 changes from a 5 litre bottle.

I may switch to synthetic now the motor has been fully run in :wink: at 50,000 miles.

My aim is to get to 100,000 then do the motor swap for the spare Lombardini 400 and pull the Greaves apart to check the mains and big end for wear. I'm hoping it will be minimal and just need a new set of big end shells to see the old boy through another 100,000.

Regards
Dave
Diesel Graham
Been here a while now..

Post by Diesel Graham »

Thanks again Dave,
you have certainly clocked up some miles on that bike!
I think mine is only on around 5000km so far.
I'm glad that my use of regular oil is OK.
I only asked because somene told me that detergent oils hold on the dirt, ready for the filter to remove it. I wasn't sure how good the enfield filter was and which oil would be best. On my vintage bike, it has no filter so I was told to use classic oil which allows the dirt to drop out into the sump instead of circulating around the bearings.

Last oil change I did, the stuff that came out looked like liquid coal!
Enfield Taurus Greaves - running well now!
Lohmann 18cc - undergoing restoration
andrewaust
Site Admin

Post by andrewaust »

Hi Graham

I would not use a "non - detergent" engine oil as the detergents help to stop a build up of the black carbon that is much more evident in a diesel engine then any other fueled engine. Carbon in concentrated amounts acts as an abrasive - so you know where I'm leading here = accelerated engine wear.

Because of the small amount of oil these engines have in the sump, you really need a good brand oil and change it often. I change my oil every 2500 K's, one thing I don't need is a breakdown as I ride in the middle of nowhere at times.

I'm using Valvoline XLD and Castrol GTX2 in my diesels, both are around 20W-50. I'm in a hot climate, If I was in a cold one I'd go for the 5W-30 or 10W-40 Viscosity.

Synthetics can give you the benefit of a little more engine protection, increase in HP and fuel economy due to a thinner viscosity. Nearly all synthetics contain detergents and other additives, which I feel is a good thing.

Hope this helps you out Graham - now the above is just my personal view, I've worked with Diesels for around 20 years now, and know a good oil must be used, and one that is suited for your climate.

Big end bearings are nearly always the first to go with bad oil, some engines never get to 100,000 K's. An owner of a Peugeot turbo sedan was putting cheap supermarket oil in his engine which shortened it's life by at least a 3rd of it's usual life = crazy stuff! Considering the price of the vehicle.

Cheers

Andrew :wink:
balboa_71
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by balboa_71 »

Just my $.02 worth....been runing Coastal 15w-40 diesel oil and changing often. This oil is available at Autozones around the US. In my TDI I use ELF synthetic 5w-40 due the engines turbo charger. VW says I must run 505.01 spec oil, which I do.

Cris
1980 GS850 converted to 10hp diesel clone power.
2006 Jetta TDI for road work.
2007 Bonneville