dnepr and single diesel engine

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

arnaud
I luv the smell of Diesel...

dnepr and single diesel engine

Post by arnaud »

Hi, on this site; http://www.dieselbike.net/Hamm08/Hamm08.htm
is a pic of an dnepr with, i believe a single cylinder china diesel.
since the length of the engine(especially the flywheel) and the outlining with the gearbox and final drive would be a problem, many people who installes 2 cylinders were forced to adjust the frame.
But this one, despite the vague pic, seems original??
Maybe is it something I can do if it is unaltered!
however, a small twin (would a 483 kubota fit) would be better since the final drive takes far more power then a chain..
oilburner

Post by oilburner »

The frame on the bike has definitely been modified. I edited a part of the picture, adding lines to show:
(A) the modified tubes under the seat (now curved upward. The backbone appears to be almost horizontal.
(B) the engine has been installed on an angle which allows the base to rest on the downtubes.

FYI
arnaud

Post by arnaud »

indeed, now i see.
The gearbox is far away from the engine. maybe the builder did not chose the shortest crankshaft output, wich will make it shorter?
I wonder if it is possible to fit such an engine without altering the frame.
it would be great for the average hobby builder..
andrewaust
Site Admin

Post by andrewaust »

It would also be cool to see someone convert the boxer twin to a diesel like was done to the Harley screaming eagle engine.

As you mentioned Arnaud, a heap of space could be gained by shortening the flywheel section if a suitable clutch system fabricated.

I once looked at the Chang Jiang motorcycle as a diesel project which has a similar box engine etc. Pistons and head design are big engineering feat, bottom ends in some engines are very strong, some not so strong. A lot of factors to consider I guess.

8)
arnaud

Post by arnaud »

i think the most simple thing to do, is buy the one with the shortest axle(you can choose from several types with a china diesel) and mount the dnepr flywheel and clutch on it, or maybe a smaller one would fit, if the clutch operates the same, for instance the one from a honda CX500?
the most difficult to make will be the mount between the gearbox and engine which have to line out exactly :roll:
johnfireball

Post by johnfireball »

Hi,
the Dnepr frame crossbar is very low where it meets the frame at the saddle and will I believe require cutting and welding for allmost any upright diesel engine.However it's easily done and I think you would not have to lengthen the frame if one of the smaller 2 cylinder engines was used with a bellhousing made to minimum width.
John.
roverthetop

Post by roverthetop »

i had to stretch the frame and raise the backbone on a dnepr to accomodate the lombardini 25ld-425
dnepr lombardini 854cc convert
kwaker punsun vtwin convert (SVO as well)
harley sporty (cvt and SVO) done
harley softail (SVO) 6 spd in the works
poelbize
I don't post much...

Post by poelbize »

hello forum,

on the dieselbike.info page is a bike shown that
follows a easy concept, please take a klick
http://www.dieselkrad.info/dieselmotorr ... +1B40.html

this bike based a a dnepr with singel cylinder hatz engine, it looks easy to build.
i remenber a post of the owner taht he used a some real axel sprocket (tooth wheels) to have a longer gear, he import them direkty from russia.

i didn´t see the bike on the meeting this year in hamm.
so i hope it works well.
it´s a simple thing to build drivewind cooled engine, then the flywheel (perhaps designed for that) moved to the gearbox side. if the adjustment is well, i think it will work properly. it looks like a good concept.

regards helmut

ps: first note without a detailed introduce... :roll:
will follow soon this some details of my diesel bike project.

pss: sorry for simple englisch
arnaud

Post by arnaud »

yes, it is a beautifull bike, but i wonder, since the cooling fins of a forced blow engine are smaller, if it won't get too hot :roll:
stormcoat
Been here a while now..

DNEPR CONVERSION

Post by stormcoat »

Both Dnepr and Chang frames have insufficient space for most upright engines, and Ural has even less, so in most cases, the frame needs some alteration. V twins are more suitable, of course, but we are limited to Chinese engines.
I sized up a three cylinder D662 Kubota to my frame, originally. It needed only an extra six inches or so, not allowing for the radiator, but to save weight and plumbing , I opted for a Petter twin for my contribution to the DIY section of the Diesel Bike Scenario. Frame modification is drastic (see picture), but its "industrial" looks should attract some attention.
As for converting the original engine to diesel, my opinion would be that, even given a stronger crank (last estimate obtained for this was £500), it is unlikely that the Dnepr cylinders would hold up. Chang cylinders look meatier, but, again, the strength is unknown. One thing in favour of the Dnepr crank is the one piece plain bearing design, so if someone would like to find a way to beef up the crankcases, bearings and cylinders it could be in with a chance. I have a dismantled engine for sale........anyone???

Stormcoat.[/img]
arnaud

Post by arnaud »

since the compression ratio in a diesel is about 3 times as high, i don't think an russian ural or dnepr crankshaft is suitable for diesel rebuilding..
Nanko

Post by Nanko »

arnaud wrote:since the compression ratio in a diesel is about 3 times as high, i don't think an russian ural or dnepr crankshaft is suitable for diesel rebuilding..
Is it the compression or the combustion stroke giving the biggest stress on the bearings?
i.m.o. its the combustion , check max torque from both engines if there is no hughe difference and dneprs dont have crankshaft bearing issues , its worth a try
peugeot TUD5 - MOTO GUZZI 16.500 km so far
arnaud

Post by arnaud »

Both! and the knocking of a diesel is a lot worse!
compare the big end from a small single dieselengine with a xt500 big end and see the difference..
But, you don't have much dnepr experience i guess :wink:
Nanko

Post by Nanko »

arnaud wrote:But, you don't have much dnepr experience i guess :wink:
True , zero experience , I forgot the word if , if dneprs dont have crankshaft issues
peugeot TUD5 - MOTO GUZZI 16.500 km so far
numuzmar
Been here a while now..

Re: dnepr and single diesel engine

Post by numuzmar »

i am also interested in this bike
Image Image

this is 4 or 9 HP engine ? its enough for heavy bike like dnepr ? (dnepr without sidecar weights 220 kg.)
what speed can achieve this bike?
oh many questions =)) maybe some one knows how to contact creator of this bike?
coachgeo

Re: dnepr and single diesel engine

Post by coachgeo »

numuzmar wrote:i am also interested in this bike.... this is 4 or 9 HP engine ? its enough for heavy bike like dnepr ? (dnepr without sidecar weights 220 kg.)
what speed can achieve this bike?
oh many questions =)) maybe some one knows how to contact creator of this bike?
Most success with Dneper that can hit success full highway speeds (safe highway speeds) have been 3cyl engines with minimum 18hp. Smaller engine and you can cruise the backroads at a smell the roses 45mph or so.

Search this site for the various types of bike you are interested in and you will find discussions that will lead you to the answer you seek.