Electronic handlebar end blinker relay

Wiring, Switches, Alternators, Regulators, etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

henneberg
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Electronic handlebar end blinker relay

Post by henneberg »

Hi,

Oldchunker has asked me to describe the electronic handlebar end blinker relay I have made.

It is a small piece of electronics blinker relay that resides in each end of the handlebar.: ( click the image to see details :mrgreen: )
Blink_sch.JPG
When 12 V is applied, the output BULB+ will provide a blink signal for an 21 W bulb.
PCB lay-out is here, created with Eagle from cadsoft.de. Ground plane isnt shown:
Blink_pcb.JPG
The PCB assembly looks like this, along with a version packaged in shrink flex:
Lenker_blinkerelektronik.jpg
---------------
Enfield Ruggerini MD151 654cc build - running: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4UsIn5QLxk
Stuart
Site Admin

Re: Electronic handlebar end blinker relay

Post by Stuart »

That's a good way to protect the PCB, inside heat shrink tube.

I've mentioned this before but worth repeating I think. If you wire LED indicators & use a single light on the dash (Enfield), all the lights may come on at once as the LED's require so little current they are able to pull it through the filiment of a standard dashboard bulb.

And I never liked the cheap Enfield indicator switch. My old Honda 400/4 had a switch which go progressively harder when pushed until it activated. This small but required amount of effort registered better with the rider in my view with the end result being you were far less likely to forget that your indicator was on!

Sorry for wandering off topic slightly there!
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
old clunker
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Electronic handlebar end blinker relay

Post by old clunker »

Thanks for the useful information Erik, a good alternative to the original Enfield fit.
There's nothing like the smell of burnt vegetable oil in the morning!!

1971 Royal Enfield diesel running on diesel/biofuel.