Hello there... Finally! (David/Rhynri)

Where members can post their photos, interests, and other personal information.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Rhynri
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Hello there... Finally! (David/Rhynri)

Post by Rhynri »

Greetings to everyone here. I have been trying to get on the forums for quite some time, but have had issues even getting them to come up on my network connection. I have been a fan of diesel since I was old enough to realize that the coolaid colored stuff we put in our tractors was different than the stuff we put in our cars on my farm. Since then, I have had two diesel cars (Jetta's, had to sell the first when I damaged my knee to badly to use a standard) and an assortment of other diesel tinkery including lawnmowers and aspirations to perhaps stick a Deutz into a small car. Recently I stumbled upon the possibility of a diesel motorcycle, and it has been my dream ever since. My first intention is to somehow import a Smart Tiger to the states, but failing that I'll devise my own. I've had some ideas, mainly based around an FJ1200 (they house an air-cooled torque-y I4 and are designed for heavier weight - 627lbs stock) I owned until a rather pitiful excuse for a driver in Florida took it away from me, along with some mobility in a few joints. Currently, the Army has me stationed in Texas, and my aspirations towards anything motorcycling have stopped because my only bike is now a Can-Am Spyder and command policy requires I take a 3-wheeled course but they do not offer one. So back to dreaming of riding while I await a Medical Retirement (I was EOD, saying what ISN'T broken would take less time, and Fibromyalgia on top of that). My current plans include figuring out if such an import as I mentioned above is possible, and how costly it would be. I look forward to having many interesting conversations with the denizens of the forums, learning a lot, and hopefully winding up with a good performing street or Adventure bike running on diesel!
Stuart
Site Admin

Re: Hello there... Finally! (David/Rhynri)

Post by Stuart »

Welcome David :D Good luck with your ambitions - I ride a smart Diesel Tiger and it's a great bike. Nothing better for riding the highways cheaply :lol:
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

You got your project already :mrgreen:

Your Can Am Spyder is screaming for a diesel to be transplanted in there :!: ... timings good since you cant ride it while waiting for the course anyway :mrgreen:
Rhynri

Post by Rhynri »

I would love to modify the Spyder, but seeing as it isn't paid off quite yet... Not really an option! :mrgreen:

I am not quite sure where to start on trying to import a Smart Tiger, or if that is even possible. If anyone has any information on this, I would love to hear from you. Thanks for the welcoming posts, Gents, and I look forward to seeing you around the boards.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

There are two Tiger's in TX being converted as I type. Granted it is a VERY VERY SLOW conversion but a 3rd Tiger would more than liable speed up at least two of them happening. Start hunting Craigslist and ebay. I bought the two thru craigslist about 4 months apart from each other. Granted that was a long couple of years of searching off and on to find those two as in-expensive parts bikes)

Now if someone on this board happen to be going from CA toward TX that can transport at least part of a leg on that journey, a two 3cyl turbo diesels and a CVT,.... then things would speed up for everyone even more!! :mrgreen:

Seriously though. Contact "Curtis In TX". He is an amazing fabricator and can build you a diesel Tiger while doing the other two. (traded him one of mine for the labor, he is doing that one for himself, other is for me. A third one would be icing on the cake possibly. up to Curtis)
Rhynri

Post by Rhynri »

As far as that transport thing goes, depending on the time frame (I get out around the new years if all holds) I could likely transport that for you if it hasn't been done yet. I'll get in touch with Curtis. Is he building them from the smart engine? Another idea that occurred to me was putting a 1.9l or 1.6l VW turbo diesel in a Goldwing or some other larger couch-rocket or bike that can support that kind of weight and torque. And if anyone here ever needs any kind of help that I can provide... I will provide it if at all possible!
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Rhynri wrote:As far as that transport thing goes, depending on the time frame (I get out around the new years if all holds) I could likely transport that for you if it hasn't been done yet.
. Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
I'll get in touch with Curtis. Is he building them from the smart engine?
He is using a Diahatsu 3cyl diesel with Harley Ultima 6spd divorced tranny - Belt drive from engine to Tranny and Chain to rear wheel. . I am using Diahatus 3cyl Turbo Diesel 800cc? to a CVT tranny. The Diahatsu's in the US are sold as Briggs and Stratten.
Another idea that occurred to me was putting a 1.9l or 1.6l VW turbo diesel in a Goldwing or some other larger couch-rocket or bike that can support that kind of weight and torque. And if anyone here ever needs any kind of help that I can provide... I will provide it if at all possible!
There are some VW conversions that can be found thru the links at http://dieselbike.net/. Most I think used the BMW tranny which really makes a very LONG bike. Have not seen a gold wing one but sounds like a good way to go. IMHO best way for long engines like the VW 4cyl is using the method that Erik used on the 3cyl Track bike. AKA- north south engine orientation, CVT east to west orientation - Shaft Drive attaches to second sprocket of CVT. This is way less overall lenght since CVT takes up less room than a typical Tranny
Rhynri

Post by Rhynri »

Very interesting. I was really trying to avoid a CVT if I could because of the inefficiency of the configuration. They seem to work well in snowmobiles, but those are also powerful 2 cycle engines so a little loss isn't an issue. It would be neat to see if you could use the DSG off of the original engine. I'm not quite sure you can find a CVT capable of handling the kind of low end torque and hp a 1.9l can put out once tuned. Will be interesting to find out.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Rhynri wrote:Very interesting. I was really trying to avoid a CVT if I could because of the inefficiency of the configuration. They seem to work well in snowmobiles, but those are also powerful 2 cycle engines so a little loss isn't an issue. It would be neat to see if you could use the DSG off of the original engine.
Inefficiency.... not sure.... many 4cy auto's use them now though some other pieces and parts are attached . Namely Nissan.

I'm not quite sure you can find a CVT capable of handling the kind of low end torque and hp a 1.9l can put out once tuned. Will be interesting to find out.
Just contact CVTech in Canada and ask. See the CVT thread in here on how to contact them. An Indy car or two had CVT's and did well. Don't have them now cause they changed the rules to they must have "gears" . Anyway though that seems to point out the concept will certainly handle it.
Rhynri

Post by Rhynri »

Yeah, I believe Nissan and honda use a different type of CVT altogether in their cars, something with metal on metal contact, two barbell shaped bits or some such where the decreasing radius on the spherical face provides the contact. As for the indy cars, that has me intrigued, but they don't generate much torque or anything at all until a few thousand RPMs, also, anything indy costs money. I'll have to look into it though. Could aways do a transmission like the old Indian suicide shifters... (joking, joking!) :P
DieselFly

Post by DieselFly »

My friend rides a CB450 that we stripped to the bones and made a street tracker out of. My bike with the CVT will wax him at every stop light. I'm up to max torque within a few seconds and it just sits there then the turbo spools up and by by. I have been nothing but pleased having gone the CVT route its light cheap and easy to install.

Sean
Finished and riding 1975
CB500t Turbo Punsun powered
hardtail.
Rhynri

Post by Rhynri »

Sounds awesome. Which Punsun engine you have in that? I've just been a little wary of CVTs, probably uncalled for. Also, can't imagine going up to max torque on the 1.9l TDI = 177ft/lbs, and that's before the chip (which gives you better mpg). hehehehehehe.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Rhynri wrote:... Also, can't imagine going up to max torque on the 1.9l TDI = 177ft/lbs, and that's before the chip (which gives you better mpg). hehehehehehe.
And with that point in mind.... why go with a 4cyl diesel in the first place. It takes about 1/2 the HP in a diesel engine to match a petrol. So a 1.2 liter bike in Petrol can be basically matched by a 6oo cc diesel. Ok add some CC to account for added weight... so that's 800cc... now your back into a good 3cyl engine that is much easier to fabricate into a bike.
Rhynri

Post by Rhynri »

Interesting statement on displacement. The stock motor in my fj1200 ran 140hp and 77ft/lbs torque, with an almost flat torque curve (so much so, the rider does not even have to rev the engine to pull away from a light, and you can drop it into 5th at 25mph, no problems) which leads to insane roll on power even though the bike weighs 600+ lbs (800lbs with me on it). I still got around 45mpg on it. All in all its rather like a diesel, air cooled, very simple, mountains of go at your disposal. Now, if I can get my hands on a turbo'd 3cyl like the smart car diesel and stick it in a tiger/sprint/bmw GS or any other similar bike to produce something that can handle my native lands (which are nothing but nasty corners and hills) that is excellent, exactly what I want.

However, (and please do correct me if I am wrong) the 3cyl diesels obtainable stateside are of the N/A variety and produce in the neighborhood of 30-40hp. It also seems like with the smaller diesels unless you use a very light bike you are going to have issues breaking the 100mpg mark, either due to low top speed (which I absolutely can not have in my build, it must do at least 90 for passing purposes) or to the engine working too hard. Thus, failing the above, I go with a larger bike (The Goldwings come stock with 1800cc opposed 6cyls) and a larger engine that will be doing much less work, and is already balanced, quieted, and tuned for not only turbo operation but mileage. My current Jetta's 2.0l mill turns 170 hp and just shy of 300ft/lbs torque (about 45mpg) and I know the 1.9l with a chip was around 130ish and 200lb/ft., and closer to 55mpg pulling a 3200lb car. The other huge advantage of that setup is you could theoretically use an overlarge clutch or centrifugal clutch, then a single very tall gear (the 1.9l is fine all day long at 1000rpm, and winds out to 5k rpm.) or the CVT with tall gears for better top speed. I also have the VAG-COM tool needed to operate on the TDI's computer, and the older 1.9l and 1.6l used mechanical.

I would love to hear your input on any and all of this, and am not in any way trying to spar or discount your viewpoint, just tossing ideas around! Also, I'm really not a speed demon but I have roadways with 70/75/80mph speed limits and trying to merge onto that on a vehicle which is tapped out at 70 sounds terrifying! Give me 90-100mph tops and I am kosher, after all my spyder tops at 120ish due to gearing (the 6th gear is reverse, an engine reverse not a starter one like some bikes have), and I never touch that. Well, once or twice maybe. :twisted:
Last edited by Rhynri on Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Rhynri wrote:Interesting statement on displacement. .. Now, if I can get my hands on a turbo'd 3cyl like the smart car diesel and stick it in a tiger/sprint/bmw GS or any other similar bike to produce something that can handle my native lands (which are nothing but nasty corners and hills) that is excellent, exactly what I want.

However, (and please do correct me if I am wrong) the 3cyl diesels obtainable stateside are of the N/A variety and produce in the neighborhood of 30-40hp. ..:
Can't correct you if your wrong cause I may be wrong LOL!!. Only have scattered brain of info gained by reading and listening about these little beast for many years now.

The Briggs/Diahatsu sells a Turbo 3cyl. Kohler/Lombardini sells a non turbo but larger displacement that has proven itself as a very nice engine in a Tiger. That was the first engine swapped into one*. Both are sold in USA thru their USA branch, are very capable and In my uneducated opinion would fit the needs of a diesel bike just fine. The smaller physical size of the Kubota should do well to. Anything can have a turbo added btw by someone knowledgeable or willing to gain the knowledge. They all new are priceyy

Tranny and Clutch system used with these engines if most often the Harley Ultima but the CVT is gaining in popularity

*See Heicko both here on this board and on youtube
Rhynri

Post by Rhynri »

I've seen Heicko's work and it is amazing! I would also consider a supercharger because then you don't have the oil issues. It's all up in the air at the moment. But you can obtain completely rebuilt 1.6l for about 1600$, 1.9l often for 2300 on ebay, sometimes with transmissions. Because they are traverse (I think, mounted to drive the front wheels at any rate) it might make it easier to shoehorn it in. Who knows. o0OMouseO0o's Youtube Channel -this channel has several interesting diesel bike videos this one showing the first start of the bike this one showing a trip over a Slovakian pass on the bike.

EDIT: I looked up the specs on the B&S Daihatsu diesels. The Turbo 1000cc makes 36hp @ 60ft/lbs torque and weighs 89kg/196lbs dry.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Mouse is a member here. May well be a write up in here on that bike.
Rhynri

Post by Rhynri »

Yeah, I looked up the video a while back, completely forgot to check the member list. :lol:

EDIT: His build is here to save anyone happening upon this thread some digging.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Rhynri wrote:...
EDIT: His build is here to save anyone happening upon this thread some digging.
Look I don't know who you think you are
. but keep it up LOL.

Us Mods and Admn soo much appreciate it when users think ahead about future readers and provide assistance to help them find some of the valuable material on here.
Rhynri

Post by Rhynri »

I am at your humble service, sir. I was a forum admin at my own forum once upon a time, so I know the feeling.

Speaking of thread links, this is the link to my bike build thread.