Urgent help needed. Engine locked up!

Engine's, injection, valve's, timing, crank's etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

fishlegs
Been here a while now..

Urgent help needed. Engine locked up!

Post by fishlegs »

Hi all,

I have a greaves/lombardini enfield. with a locked up engine. And I'm supposed to be riding off on a road trip first thing in the morning. Any advice would be a great help.

Yesterday it was running great, I rode it a couple miles home, no problem and put it on the center stand. This morning when I came out, i discovered that the bike had fallen over on its right side. I picked it up, and it seemed little worse for wear. It looked like the foot peg took most of the fall and it sank into the ground. Of course oil of all sorts was everywhere from the clutch, engine, air filter, etc.

Well after looking everything over and topping up the fluids, went to give it a kick start turned the engine over until almost tdc, flipped the decompressor pushed it over a bit more until the decompressor clicked off and CLUNK! It feels like I'm bouncing against a steel wall. I can't push the engine over any further than that. I spun the flywheel backwards and it rotated all the way through.

Not knowing what was going on, I fiddled around with a couple things, and the only thing I can think of is that maybe the exhaust valve might not be opening properly:
-When I pulled the injector out, the engine turned over fine, and if the injector isn't tightened all the way it pushes over more reluctantly and you can hear the exhaust escaping from around the injector.
-I went ahead and measured the bumping clearance and it's right on at .73mm
-when I had the head off, I pushed on the exhaust valve with my finger and it appeared to be opening properly.

Now that it's back together, I'm still stuck in the same place. Does anyone have any suggestions?
royaldragon
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Urgent help needed. Engine locked up!

Post by royaldragon »

TEST POST/REPLY not by RoyalDragon

lift back wheel off ground and block up the bike to not fall. DO NOT TRY TO START ENGINE: justt engage tranny,use rear wheel to spin engine "SLOWLY" to see if it is truely locked up or what. Listen close to sounds. Where to clunk sounds come from etc.

Pull your side covers that bent to see if anything is amiss.

Pull an injector or a glow plug if ya got em. Stick a tube in there and see if you can suck up any fluids from above the piston. If so..... it could be ugly if engine tried to spin at a million to one compression ratio (cylinder full of fluid)

Reply made by Coach George (coachgeo) under RoyalDragon's log on to test his system.
Royal Enfield Conversion with 13HP Winsun to run on WVO
http://s1096.photobucket.com/albums/g33 ... %20Diesel/

dragonmotors.net
fishlegs
Been here a while now..

Post by fishlegs »

Thanks for the reply. Turns out it was just hydraulic lock. I sopped up the oil that was on top of the piston and all is resolved. Please forgive the drama.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Glad it was something relatively simple