Charging issues (again!)

Wiring, Switches, Alternators, Regulators, etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Charging issues (again!)

Post by alexanderfoti »

Hi all

On the way back from the big knock (50mph roads 3500rpm constantly), I noticed that IF I keep my RPM high my battery stops charging and my voltage drops slowly, If I keep the revs at 2krpm the battery charges.

I have checked the output from the stator and this seems to be okay with the voltage following the rpm without issues.

My thoughts are a loose connection somewhere that it getting rattled loose, but I have check most of them and cant find any obvious issues. Any ideas?
coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Charging issues (again!)

Post by coachgeo »

heat?

At higher RPM's electrical components are hotter (more juice created) over heating one of the components and dropping your charge output? Engine being hotter too adds to it?

Have heard of this before on even OEM bikes. Some move the ??? recitiphier? to a location that allows it to stay cooler
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Hmm I was thinking that or vibrations, Easy enough to go on a long run, and just pull over and check the rectifier temp :)
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Right, If I unplug the sense wire from the regulator, it charges all the time.

A loose connection on this should cause it to overcompensate, and charge again no?
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

It sounds like you have some gremlins in the loom, usually they turn out to be earth related.

Make sure you have an earth that bridges the headset bearings and a number of others at various places around the loom.

Run the sensor wire to the remotest part of the loom's switched live circuit, usually in the headset.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

yeah, I wouldn't be surprised considering I rewired the whole bike from scratch :)

I will try rewiring the sense wire as well, temporarily straight the battery to see if if charges that way, at least I can rule out a fault with the regulator.