Where does one get used CVT's off cars?

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Where does one get used CVT's off cars?

Post by coachgeo »

just wondering if used CVT's on the European side of the big pond work out to be cheaper even after shipping than what we have over here on America side.
skoleskibe

Re: Where does one get used CVT's off cars?

Post by skoleskibe »

Umm, i bought a cvt in the States, living in Denmark eu.
It was not that expensive. Actually it was cheaper buying it in the States, having to pay customs tax and vat, than to buy it in the eu.......
Regards
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

The Belt CVTs from Liegiers (sp) and Axiams are usually on ebay at the moment. I would guess they are also suited for small diesel RPM as well, but hats only an opinion.
Got to be cheaper than new if you're on a budget.
Kubota Z482 which is plodding on with unnerving reliability. Three years so far.
1900 Diesel Bike being rebuilt with better clutch control.
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

For anyone in the EU try www.geminikarts.co.uk As a matter of interest the CVTECH torque converter is very similar to the microcar units. Is this not available in the US?
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

gilburton wrote:... the CVTECH torque converter is very similar to the microcar units. Is this not available in the US?
It is very possible CVTECH makes the ones used in cars on the opposite side of the pond from US. Think CVTECH is out of Canada. Yes we can get them in US from... one maybe two suppliers exist and for a measly sum of a bank robbery and a left arm we can get a new one with proper fit/design for a more than 800cc engine like the 3cyl diesels; thus my reasons for this thread.
DieselFly

Post by DieselFly »

The CVTech unit is the same one I'm running. The only draw back is the pulley sizes are designed for a small wheel diameter like a four wheeler or golf cart. This results in it never fully shifting despite the large rear sprocket. That said it works great and other than needing to upgrade the jack shaft of the secondary drive to 1" from 3/4" as it broke. It can easily handle 35 hp. CVTech make many different units and many for the micro car market, snowmobiles, side by sides etc. I was able to get my clutch set cheap so I live with the miss match which really is not a problem. Now that Comet is back from the ashes there is more choice. I keep thinking if we could get a group buy together say 50 units then approch a company Like CVTech with the desired specs we could get a great deal

Sea
Finished and riding 1975
CB500t Turbo Punsun powered
hardtail.
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

Gemini Karts in the UK are currently selling the CVTECH 2 pulleys and belt for £296 and the COMET type for around £160. How does that compare with US prices??
I got mine from a breakers for £90 which is still a lot cheaper than the more common comets etc.
The only problem is that it uses a longer belt so you need a bit of space and the pulleys themselves are quite large. I've been constructing a pulley guard and it does look a bit large on the bike so it's not as neat as the comet type covers.
I haven't got it on the road yet but at a standstill both pulleys work as they should. Hopefully my MZ should be up and running shortly. I've been putting in a lot of time recently and I've purchased a better welder and a compressor so cutting steel plates is easier.The ridiculous cost of fuel has also spurned me on.I'm very near retirement so once this bike is sorted I've got some ideas for something a bit larger :D
Benzine
Been here a while now..

Post by Benzine »

gilburton wrote:Gemini Karts in the UK are currently selling the CVTECH 2 pulleys and belt for £296
That's excluding VAT so £355.20 including. So $568.86 USD (using xe.com/ucc for currency conversion)
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Think you guys are missing the entire point of this thread. I must have poorly communcated. This thread is intentionaly NOT talking about the smaller cart/moped sized cvt's. The cart places are selling "cart" cvt's. CVTECH manufactures more models than the cart places sell. http://www.cvtech-ibc.com/

If your using a 10hp engine go with the cart mode that is new if you can. Price is not too bad. But a good number of folk here are shooting for the 800-900cc engines like those used in Micro Cars and we need CVT's far more robust and w/much different start-n- finish range than comet's and other Cart or moped cvt's. Prices for these new are around thousand dollars usd and up. Hense the desire for finding a source of used ones from Micro Cars. This is the reason this thread was started about used cvt's off CARS