Kubota - which injection pump?

Getting the pumbing right for your Diesel fuel feed..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

XLerate
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Kubota - which injection pump?

Post by XLerate »

Hi all!

Anybody know what injector pump is used on Kubota 3 cyl engines, mostly 1.0L - 1.5L? Read elsewhere that some Kubota use a 'Bosch MD Mini pump' but no idea what that is or if it's used on 3 cyl engines. Other sources say they may use a PFR-KD pump. Also some say all Kubota pumps are made by Zexel, whoever that might be?

Thanks!
Darren

Re: Kubota - which injection pump?

Post by Darren »

Zexel and Diesel Kiki are both Japanese diesel fuel injection equipment manufacturers. Both licence technology from Bosch.

Most stationary or mini tractor diesel engines use jerk pumps (UPS injection in the Bosch picture on this page engines)

If you dont mind me asking why do you want to know?
Enfield Bullet with Hatz IB30
See my sites for veg oil fuel info
www.vegburner.co.uk
www.wiki.obed.org.uk - Open Biofuel Engine Development wiki
XLerate

Post by XLerate »

Thanks, Darren!

Reason for asking: want to know the 'lay of the land', what's potentially ahead in ownership. Questions on whether the pump can be tweaked, or if aftermarket parts are available, or how common parts are to find helps my engine buying decision.

My Kawasaki KZ1000P-15 is coming up for this diesel swap just because stock Kawi parts are so stupid expensive! At 60,000 miles on engine it's a good time to freshen up with a valve job, quick hone & set of rings, easy. Also need the rubber stuff for intake, the manifolds & air tubes. Well, sir, just those parts means rings, gaskets, camchain, cam chain ajuster parts, cam chain slippers etc etc. & still no problem.

BUT: ONLY available from Kawasaki and roughly $1,500+ just in parts for a blasted ring & valve job done at home!!!

I'll use that money for a diesel instead, but don't want to run into the same thing there again. Planning ahead...
Darren

Post by Darren »

The injection pump should last for as long as the engine as long as you dont get too many particles or too much water water in it. Not likely to be the fail point on most engines so you should be able to source a used pump from a dead engine

There is a reasonable chance they will have used different pumps over the years. The time change would have happened is when they try to meet new emission requirements in one of their target markets.

If I remember right the small Kabotas use 'cartridge' injection pumps basically a number of jerk pumps combined in one unit.
Enfield Bullet with Hatz IB30
See my sites for veg oil fuel info
www.vegburner.co.uk
www.wiki.obed.org.uk - Open Biofuel Engine Development wiki
XLerate

Post by XLerate »

Well that's good news, thanks! I got suspicious when it was so difficult to find any info at all on these pumps. On most diesels that's one of the main things of interest as it's the whole heart of the fuel system, causing it to even run at all. I did find that many have the pump parts installed into a permanent casting on engine block, didn't like the sound of that.

Also have interest in turning up or tweaking the pump, how hard it is, what's done etc. Many tractors with Kubota are used for pulling contests & are highly modified but couldn't find a word on the net as to exactly what's done, what works etc. Some of these are maybe 20-25 HP engines twisted up to as much as 100 HP!!! No, I wouldn't want anywhere near that ragged & short lived level of tune, but still curious on what can be done for minor tweaks. I've got a friendly injection shop, may pick their brains...