Fred's HDT diesel super bike goes to India?

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

zarquon
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Fred's HDT diesel super bike goes to India?

Post by zarquon »

Well, here are some facts.

motorcycle.com posted an article about the launch auf the Altius Scimitar in India 2012. We know this bike as the HDT M1030-M2 or simply die "Diesel KLR"
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ ... 90964.html

They say the company "Altius Automotive Technologies" in india will build the bike.

Wikipedia does not know a Company with this name.

Altius Automotive Technologies website "altiusautomotive.com" is registered by "DOTCUE TECHNOLOGIES P LTD.", also located in Chennai.

Dotcue is a webdesign business

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/motorcycl ... les-37094/
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

zarquon wrote:...Altius Automotive Technologies website "altiusautomotive.com" is registered by "DOTCUE TECHNOLOGIES P LTD.", also located in Chennai.

Dotcue is a webdesign business
Wow..... must be one hell of a set of talented web designers... so talented they can even build engines, chassis, body for small Utility trucks, and frames, body/tanks for motorcycles... wow.... very talented indeed
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Interesting article published just yesterday in the Financial Chronicle. The irony of it all is found in the last sentence reflecting that the principal player in this endeavor is the director of the board of UK's Lotus Cars. Perhaps once established in India, we'll see Lotus turning out diesel bikes - even more irony.

http://www.mydigitalfc.com/news/car-mar ... -bikes-644
Ron
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

pietenpol2002 wrote:Interesting article ... http://www.mydigitalfc.com/news/car-mar ... -bikes-644
Well if all goes well a bunch of us will be HAPPILY eating crow. Least we know now the potential of this Indian company actually existing physically and not just something on a piece of paper
zarquon

Post by zarquon »

pietenpol2002 wrote:Interesting article published ... http://www.mydigitalfc.com/news/car-mar ... -bikes-644
Well, this article is talking about Mr. Subbu working behind the scenes.
And Mr. Subbu _is_ somebody in the india automotive industry. He played his role at Hyundai and Proton.

Will it really happen? I'm still nor sure.

Until now the Altius Scimistar made it into the press in India:

http://www.thehindu.com/life-and-style/ ... 006622.ece

http://www.carblogindia.com/altius-scim ... -features/

http://www.mydigitalfc.com/news/car-mar ... -bikes-644

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

TedV

Post by TedV »

I spoke briefly with Fred at the Mid-Ohio, Craig Vetter fuel economy challenge earlier this year. I point blank said I have seen talk the HDT diesel bike is going into production in India, any chance the bike will be sold in the USA? The reply was basically he sold the company and is only a consultant so he has no say in that matter. I did stress the fact I REALLY would like a diesel bike available here. I might have been a bit of a nuisance asking many times for a test ride on the HDT diesel. I never got one. But how many folks would give up a ride to a stranger on their “aren’t any other bikes like it on the road” bike? :mrgreen:

It was interesting riding along with streamlined and regular diesel plus the other different bikes there. The diesels have a wicked exhaust pulse out the exhaust. The land speed streamliner wiggles badly behind a semi-truck at 45mph. I did lead them back to the track after the last fuel stop and us getting separated from the pack at a red light. My Dakar was the only bike with a way to hold the written directions back to the track. Even the car in the competition had no way to hold a slip of paper. My 07 F650GS accelerated better loaded down with 4 days of camping gear, but then, I only squeaked out 73.6mpg. 17 more HP I would expect it to be slower tho.

I would buy an India diesel KLR even if the frame and hardware rusted out like other cheap Pacific Rim knockoff bikes, KLR parts are cheap, and they don't cost much either. :wink: :lol: I am curious just how long lived and reliable the motor is. I have a wait and see if it ever happens, don’t hold my breath attitude on it.
andrewaust
Site Admin

Post by andrewaust »

Wow! That bloody Diesel KLR really puts your head into a spin in regards to production. Who knows! Like the Enfield they might be able to transport the bike worldwide, how many years has it been Stuart that this KLR made headlines, must be years.

I'd love one too, maybe just the engine, I'd somehow put it in the XR650R I have here and slip it out when rego comes a calling :)!! As discussed in a previous post, rego compliance here .................... well have to say it ..................... sucks :shock:

A ;)
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

hmmmmm... Hope Im wrong!!!!... but something smells.

Get the funny feeling Fred created a smoke screen "sale" for this whole thing to disapear behind leaving him smelling pretty even though the bike never hits the streets yet leaves him little richer off US taxpayers money.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

At the moment this bike is the best chance we have of seeing a cheap, mass produced bike hitting the market. And I keep hearing that it will happen. The Armies it was intended for originally started using quads and all of a sudden all the development could have been for nothing. Glad it was rescued from possible oblivion and resurrected even if its under another name. Really looking forward to seeing them on the road. I'm sure they'll be imported into every country going & especially the US after the 30,000 enquirys they had at HDT. This isn't wasted tax money - ultimately it'll be good everyone's pocket.

Maybe certain posts here will be edited if it becomes a reality? :D
andrewaust
Site Admin

Post by andrewaust »

I certainly love to have one if they started shipping some over here. I'm not worried about petrol fuel costs for the current dirt bikes, rather fuel consumption, and dirt bikes "Enduro variety" have crazy 6-8ltr tanks, even with the larger after market tanks, which makes handling a pain in the arse, you can still run out of fuel which can seal your fate, same goes for a break down. The Christmas list might include a epirb if I decide to trek into deep bush territory.

So a Diesel KLR would be money well spent.

A ;)
Rapturee
I don't post much...

Post by Rapturee »

I too have been following he HDT with great interest, he seemed to be a friend of Craig Vetter's as well. I was hoping beyond all hope that they would hit the streets of the US...NOT! I live close enough to Canada that I can get one...one way or another! I wonder what the import to Canada will be once they hit the market? Sure would be nice just to even get one of the motors and put it in my 89' Yamaha XT350! OK, who has contacts in INDIA!?!?!?!?!
Mike :{)
Do the Right thing...Come what may!
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Last I heard they are still tooling up for production in Chennai. The guys behind it have made appearances at various motor shows and word is the project is still a 'go' despite delays. If the bike can be sold for the price they are quoting in India it will still be relatively cheap when it hits the streets in the US, Canada and the UK. I think a cheap, multi-fuel, mass market commuter style bike is just what we to kick things off and this is the best bet out there presently :D
Not sure if it will fit the bill for a distance tourer (like the big, common rail bikes being built by individuals) but I'm sure some will go a travelling on them :D
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Here's the latest as the Altius Scimitar surfaces at a Defence Expo: http://www.rushlane.com/altius-scimitar ... 10140.html
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Stuart wrote:Here's the latest as the Altius Scimitar surfaces at a Defence Expo: http://www.rushlane.com/altius-scimitar ... 10140.html
The specs look very good, if it ends up being £10,000 it will be too expensive for me :(
Eddy Wane

Post by Eddy Wane »

I recently phoned a friend in the UK who has contacts in Chennai. I have asked him to see if there is any news about the Scimitar. Watch this space!
Building the bike. Top of my list, bottom of the wife's.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I'm being told the email address doesn't work & that their new website isn't up.
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
Eddy Wane

Post by Eddy Wane »

I tried the email address also and my email was returned undelivered. My latest news from my contact is that the company is currently concentrating on military contracts for the bike, as Stuart reported, but a civilian model may be being manufactured in 2015.

Reminds me of the announcement in 2011 that the Scimitar would be in production in 2013. I do believe that the bike has been around since 2000, even car conception to production doesn't that long. I would have thought that you could at least purchase the engine in order to generate some revenue for the company.
Building the bike. Top of my list, bottom of the wife's.
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

I expect in India the bike would be too expensive for the civilian market.
They probably don't see it selling in large numbers to the rest of the world but it would be interesting to see how the price of the army version compares with the Kawasaki conversion that the US military used??