Chip fat bike

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

sbrumby
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Chip fat bike

Post by sbrumby »

Paul Carter 12500miles round Australia on chip fat.
http://www.metro.co.uk/news/878570-chip ... motorcycle
Sam
andrewaust
Site Admin

Re: Chip fat bike

Post by andrewaust »

Hi Sam

Yeah Paul Carter tried to contact me, I posted the link to the posters somewhere on the forum, I had an inkling thought that he wanted to use a bike to do it, lucky I didn't reply as he had some good stacks and the Enfield would have come back completely stuffed, he used the bio bike from the Adelaide University, don't know what he was on about regarding the license for a diesel bike ??????? seems a bit of B.S if you ask me.

To bad he didn't want to go the extra yard and build one himself ;), at least I'm safe with him wanting to break the diesel bike speed record .............. :shock: 8)

A ;)
zarquon

Post by zarquon »

Do we know something concrete about the bike he used?
In the article they said it was given to him from the University of Adelaide. Was it the "BioBike", build at this university some years ago?

In this case, it's just a Yanmar L100AE with a CVT in a Husaberg Frame. This engine was used several times all over the world, but the donor bike was unusual one.

Rafael
BHNZ
I'm pretty new here..

Post by BHNZ »

Hi Rafael
Paul Carter wrote a book about his trip around Oz, the title is "Is That Thing Diesel?" I read it sometime last year, from memory it was the bike you asked about. If I remember rightly they had a few problems with burning out CVT belts and an engine failure. Reading between the lines, I'm sure they over geared the bike, he said he got the bike up to 140 kph on a long down hill run at one stage of the journey, and if my not so good memory is correct, he did mention changing the gearing to get a better road speed early in the book. After all, 10 horsepowers is not going to give you 140 kph on a 'normal' motorcycle without some outside assistance, in this case, gravity. The general impression I got from the book was that the whole exercise could have been thought through and executed a lot better.
Cheers, Brian
zarquon

Post by zarquon »

Thanks Brian,

found the book on amazon.

Is That Bike Diesel, Mate? : One Man, One Bike and the First Lap Around Australia on Used Cooking Oil from Paul Carter
http://www.amazon.de/dp/1857885627

Here with a slightly different title: Is that thing Diesel, Mate?
http://www.amazon.de/dp/1741757029

And this is the Kindle Version
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B005DXRELC

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

That's a good find though isn't it? Didn't know it had been published :!: :D
TOTJONES
I don't post much...

Post by TOTJONES »

"Is That Thing Diesel?" i have it on dvd .... if any one wants a copy ... email me .. anthonyjones402@aol.com .... thanks
johnr
I'm pretty new here..

Post by johnr »

ha ha ha, paul carter, that name rings a bell. his first book, ('dont tell mum i work on the rigs, she thinks im a piano player in a whorehouse') is absolutely fooking hilarious. its the story of his life working in the oil industry, and is laugh out loud funny. i think i'll buy this on the strength of his name. funny guy.!
XLerate

Post by XLerate »

TOTJONES wrote:"Is That Thing Diesel?" i have it on dvd .... if any one wants a copy ... email me .. anthonyjones402@aol.com .... thanks
Hate to bring it up, but... Copyrights?