2Deuce is a noob

Where members can post their photos, interests, and other personal information.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

2deuce
I don't post much...

2Deuce is a noob

Post by 2deuce »

Hello all, I joined your forum because I prefer the diesel engine in just about every application and would like to build a diesel bike .... somehow, someday. I live in Oregon, collect WWII military vehicles, love the outdoors and also love dirt riding. I have a couple of small diesel engines, the one I thought I would like to attempt is a MD 150. Being 12.8 hp and 34ft lbs torque it should have enough power, but the size of the engine is not small. Getting a transmission is a major obstacle. I'm not an engineer so I will be reading and following others suggestions and examples. At this point I only have an engine. I looked into a Rokon, but my engine is too large in weight, and dimensions but an off road machine like a rokon would be my goal. Thanks, Greg
forhire
Been here a while now..

Re: 2Deuce is a noob

Post by forhire »

Welcome! Just north of you in WA. Been working on a Kawasaki KX-500 conversion. Space has been a big problem for me. Have you considered a torque converter or CVT?
2deuce
I don't post much...

Post by 2deuce »

I don't think I want the expense of new, but would be interested in used. Then the question is what to look for. Would a torque converter work with the lower RPM's of the diesel or would a gearbox be needed with it. CVT would be something that I should look into. What are you using in your KX500?
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Welcome 2Deuce 8)
bhtooefr
Been here a while now..

Post by bhtooefr »

Might want to check the MD150 service manual, by the way. The RPM setting is one screw, and I'm not 100% certain, but fairly certain that all the engine internals are the same between the MD150 and 151.

I'll be turning my MD150 (I got one last week) up to 3600 RPM, if not 4000.
forhire
Been here a while now..

Post by forhire »

2deuce wrote:I don't think I want the expense of new, but would be interested in used. Then the question is what to look for. Would a torque converter work with the lower RPM's of the diesel or would a gearbox be needed with it. CVT would be something that I should look into. What are you using in your KX500?
This is the thread for my build.
https://www.dieselbikeforum.com/view ... =31&t=1923

Dougy is using this torque converted on a 300cc with good results. I have had mounting issues on my larger engine. I'm still working on my mount and jack shafts. I too wonder about the high rpm engagement... I guess I'll have to wait and see for myself. I also have an Enfield 5 speed transmission but it looks too big to stuff into a dirt bike. I was very optimistic... then reality set in :shock: