3/4" Keyed jackshaft

Clutches, Chain & Belt Drives

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

gilburton
I luv the smell of Diesel...

3/4" Keyed jackshaft

Post by gilburton »

Anyone know where I can get one in the UK? I know these are easily available in the US as Manco/Murray as that is where I got my original shaft from but despite searching I cannot find a UK supplier.
Possibly an agricultural supplier??? or do you have to get one made up? I can't even find a 19mm one.
All the kart axles seem to be much larger.
Any info leads would be appreciated
thanks.
LocomotiveBreath

Re: 3/4" Keyed jackshaft

Post by LocomotiveBreath »

A good machine shop should be able to turn and broach a shaft in about a half hour of labor and cost of materials. I have my shafts machined out of high chromium steel.

Dave
“Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave, and keep on thinking free. "Moody Blues"
balboa_71

Re: 3/4" Keyed jackshaft

Post by balboa_71 »

gilburton,

Try this link:
http://www.bmikarts.com/item/3-4-Keyed- ... 0134--1357

Probably made from low carbon steel like C1018 or 12L14 (screw machine stock). I'm like Dave, I make my shafts from stronger steel, I go with 4140, 1144 or Stressproof. Ryerson also sells a "Fatigue proof" that would be a good choice. On the other hand, if you can go with a 1" diameter shaft, low carb steel will handle 10 good horsepower. If you have access to a Bridgeport mill, you can machine a 1/4" wide x 1/8" deep key way down the shafts length if you don't have a broach.

Cris
1980 GS850 converted to 10hp diesel clone power.
2006 Jetta TDI for road work.
2007 Bonneville