engineers report

Insurance & Registration issues etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

gilburton
I luv the smell of Diesel...

engineers report

Post by gilburton »

see Jawa and Cz thread in bike building and "insurance" in general.
I have had a reply back from the DVLA re my logbook changes. As suspected they want an engineers report on headed paper. Unfortunately it is nowhere ready for an MOT inspection so I'm either looking at getting someone out to look at it or delay the application until the bike is near ready. I assume, if I get the engine properly mounted, all they are looking at is engine/frame numbers and sound construction.
Anyone in Northants with the qualifications willing to have a look?
gilburton

Re: engineers report

Post by gilburton »

I,ve got someone from a local car garage, who has a passing interest in all things different, coming out this week to have a look and issue a confirmation.
That's good as I was delaying the build a bit until I knew if the DVLA would accept it :)
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

I've sent off the inspection report today so hopefully an amended V5 will be fortcoming :roll:
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

Success! the reg document now shows 412cc, heavy oil. Only problem now is I might now get a fine for non continuous registration or S.O.R.N. (statutory off road notice for anyone outside the UK)
As they've also brought in SORN for insurance as well I thought I'd better declare it.
I got some warnings online about the non continuous registration so I await a fine,
Trouble is the "bike" has been little more than a pile of bits at the back of my garage for the last couple of years :roll: but that doesn't matter to the faceless ones in govt. After all I may have been riding it illegally :shock:
I've been holding off working on it until I'd got it re registered with the diesel engine but as that is now ok I'll get on with it although I'm in no rush so the target will probably be next year when I retire and if we can still afford to save up for fuel :lol:
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

You might get away with it as a pile of bits does not constitute a motor vehicle. And continuous insurance only applies to taxed vehicles, not sorned vehicles.
Sam
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

That's the trouble it wasn't sorned at all and even though it was in bits it's still registered as a vehicle so I could face a fine of £100. I didn't know that if you buy a vehicle that is already on SORN you have to SORN it again in your own name but mine had run out 2 yrs ago anyway!
I can see the new SORN for insurance being a problem as well as if your vehicle has tax/MOT and you decide not to insure it straight away eg needs work,lay up over winter or even can't afford it just yet as ,even if it is off road, you now have to declare a SORN for no insurance and send back your tax disc for a refund(obviously you'll lose some tax as well)
Removing the tax disc will certainly stop people riding illegally,that'll teach them :roll:
I think people are going to have to juggle the dates of MOT/tax/ins.to coincide so that you don't lose out if you wish to overhaul or lay up your vehicle?
Last edited by gilburton on Fri May 13, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

just to add about the inspection don't worry as all that the DVLA wanted was an independant confirmation that the engine/frame numbers/cc were as I said and it was indeed a diesel. It wasn't a structural inspection of any sort so as long as the MOT tester is happy you can keep hammering/cutting/welding as much as you like :D