battery choice

Wiring, Switches, Alternators, Regulators, etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

gilburton
I luv the smell of Diesel...

battery choice

Post by gilburton »

Ok what batteries do you recommend to start a single cylinder engine? Bearing in mind the smaller size required to fit in a motorcycle frame?
sbrumby

Re: battery choice

Post by sbrumby »

I would recommend VARTA and not to go for gel batteries they are full power one day and nothing the next, What you need to know is the CCA which stands for cold cranking amps, only a few batteries give this information and VARTA are one.
Sam
Dan J

Post by Dan J »

When I changed my single cylinder Enfield to electric start I used exactly the same battery as is used for the petrol electric start bikes so as to allow me to use the standard part battery carriers etc. I'd agree with Sam - I used a Varta Motorcycle YB14-A2 which came with an acid pack to make it up and has proved pretty indestructable despite my best efforts including draining it totally flat. Varta also do numerous shapes and sizes plus terminal configurations so you can't go wrong with them.
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere
balboa_71

Post by balboa_71 »

This may not help you at all, but for those in the US, I'd go with an Odyssey. I've got one of their PC625 batteries, and it starts my Yanclone engine rather well. It's military grade and can take a lot of abuse dealt by my engines crappy undersize alternator.

Cris
1980 GS850 converted to 10hp diesel clone power.
2006 Jetta TDI for road work.
2007 Bonneville