IBC CV manufacture

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

IBC CV manufacture

Post by coachgeo »

was mentioned in another thread here as part of another discussion. Figured it was time to make a thread on just their products.

It appears they do supply CVT's for MicroCars . That makes them experienced in building units for similar horse power of the larger diesel bikes. Some of these MicroCars are diesel too sooooo... they understand the Torque issues. Sounds like the place to go with Comet out of biz?

http://www.cvtech-ibc.com/client/pageso ... sp?clef2=2
bearhawk
Been here a while now..

Re: IBC CV manufacture

Post by bearhawk »

Where can we buy one in the US? I've looked and can't find anyone that sells them and IBC didn't respond to an email I sent them asking for a dealer in the US. I'm guessing there are some but I just haven't found one.

Jeff
"it will impress about 5% of the population and perplex the other 95%. It's why we do it:-)" AlbertaPhil
TedV

Post by TedV »

I know they have a special deal with college FSAE programs. Know anyone in college? Did you copy the list of parts Dieselfly used on his build, email and ask for a quote?
DieselFly

Post by DieselFly »

I bought my clutch through my school and the Mini Baja program as suggested by their guy. The mini baja setup works well except I cannot get full shift it has to much overdrive. I all ready have a custom 60 tooth rear sprocket on the back I have run 6:1 and 5:1 on the back end and have it at 5:1 at the moment. With 6:1 the thing is like goes like hell but I'm afraid the 10 tooth on the front will eat the chain at highway speed. I have put a Minitach on my christmas list.
The Mini Baja kit comes with two sets of drive clutch weights and three drive clutch springs and two driven springs. I need to know my RPMs and then I can play with all of the bits in the kit and see how it performs with each change. The shaft size on the driven clutch is 3/4" and I sheared it off once. It had signs of fatigue fracturing around the outside of the shaft and a one time torsional shear in the centre. That said the driven clutch is mounted cantilevered on the end of the jackshaft and the mighty Punsun pulled it in off. I have the driven clutch for the twin of my bike bored out to 1" and broched for 1/4" key and new pillow blocks for the new 1" jackshaft. I have over 1600 miles on the bike which I had out last Saturday . Weather is turning for sh*t hear so I will take my bike back to the school tear it apart for its real paint job. This will be when I will upgrade my jackshaft and inspect the rest I know forkseals for sure.

Sean
Last edited by DieselFly on Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finished and riding 1975
CB500t Turbo Punsun powered
hardtail.
bearhawk
Been here a while now..

Post by bearhawk »

I saw they supply SAE Mini Baja with CVTs and by the looks of their website they supply many different OEMs. I used their "contact" webpage almost a week ago and asked where I could find a dealer in the US but they've not responded at all. Perhaps they don't sell any here? Seems odd. I started our SAE student chapter but that was many moons ago when I was in college. I don't think that would count to get me anything now though!

My first thoughts on the CVT were no way but the more I read about them the more I want to try one. I have visions of a dreambike like the guy using the Perkapillar C1.1 in a custom frame but in reality I'm on a Changzuki budget thanks to Dave Ramsey. I'm just not finding much in the way of CVTs. The Comets are hard to find since they are out of biz. I guess I'll start asking around with my buddies at work with snowmobiles. I can only imagine their drive/driven clutches are so different because of the high rpm powerband the sleds use. Perhaps I'm wrong. Wouldn't be a first!

Jeff
"it will impress about 5% of the population and perplex the other 95%. It's why we do it:-)" AlbertaPhil
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

My guess is anyone who was previously selling Comet CVT's now carrie IBC or (went out of Biz). There is; as far as I know, no other manufacturer of CVT's on this side of the pond and apparently IBC is the manufacture of choice for small cars found on other side of the big pond from us too. They may be rebagged under a differnt name.... so ask them.
DieselFly

Post by DieselFly »

Look for 4 wheeler shops they do sell them. I do belive all of the Bombadier Can Am 4 wheelers use them. I had mentioned before if we had enough people that want them we could do a group buy and get a custom setup to boot
Finished and riding 1975
hardtail.
bearhawk
Been here a while now..

Post by bearhawk »

I'd be good to go in on a group buy. Wonder how many others we'd need.

Also, what is the center to center distance on the clutch you run? How far did you have to stretch the bike to get the punsun to fit? What belt does it use?

Thanks,
Jeff
DieselFly

Post by DieselFly »

I would think we would need at least 10 sets I will email David and ask. They are slow to respond sometimes it helps to speak french. I stretched my bike by 100mm (4") you could get away with no stretch I did it for looks and my 6'2" frame to fit. I'm running a 242mm centre to centre distace
Finished and riding 1975
hardtail.
DieselFly

Post by DieselFly »

Here are some dealers for CVTech clutches. They only sell the one time kits to schools :D I knew I quit my old day job to be a teacher for some higher reason :twisted:
http://www.richardsrelics.com/details_p ... speed.html
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CVtech-I ... 0478258671
http://www.motorcycleworld.com/enthusia ... egoryCode=

And this is just cool is it just me or does that look kind of like an old Hartzell prop hub with no blades. They use nitrogen,springs and oil pressure to control blade angle http://www.supertraxmag.com/article.asp ... eload=true

Sean

P.S. temp is going to +8C tomorrow at least one more ride in my future
Finished and riding 1975
hardtail.
bearhawk
Been here a while now..

Post by bearhawk »

I finally got an email back from IBC-CVTech. Below is a copy:
------------------------
We Have a distributor in US Marshall Distributing in MICHIGAN

But we also opening a distribution center in 9701 S. 58th St.
Franklin, WI 53132-9107

They do not retail but in the near future we will be able to send stuff
thrue them

Call me back

Alain Gosselin
Représentant des ventes / Sales Representative
-----------------------
I found out Marshall Distributing's website is: http://www.marshalldistributing.com/index.php

Go on there and find a dealer then call the dealer. I have a friend who is listed as a dealer. I'll talk with him about it and see if I can get prices.

Does anyone know which drive/driven combination should be used for up to 25hp diesel?

Jeff
Last edited by bearhawk on Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
bhtooefr
Been here a while now..

Post by bhtooefr »

Alright, what am I missing?

So I've looked up the specs on the 06 Serie and the LP3, which is the combination that DieselFly is using, and I noticed the following ranges in diameter:

06 Serie: 184-192.5 mm
LP3: 220-228 mm

184/228 is a 0.807:1 ratio, and 192.5/220 is a 0.875:1 ratio. That's a really, really narrow ratio spread.

So, what am I missing here?

(Trying to calculate setups for what I want to build.)
TnFan
Been here a while now..

Post by TnFan »

BearHawk,
That's good info about Marshall's being a distributor
of IBC CVT's ..... Thanks.
I emailed IBC-Tech several times over a year ago and got no reply.
I was resigned to trying to call them ... but never did.
I'm the guy selling the Pusnsun and Winsuns on A1biofuel.net
and have several customers asking about CVT suppliers.
Glad to see that ebay ad with an IBC CVT that has a 1 inch shaft.
Lets us know that they are made. A lot of CVTs use a tapered shaft
so the 1 inch shaft is important.
All this is good news for diesel bike builders.
I'm sure a lot of folks will be watching the progress of this post.
TnFan
Veggie Fuel Smells Like Hamburgers !!!
DieselFly

Post by DieselFly »

The different diameters are for outside only. The Mini Baja set has a toal ratio range of 6.97:1 Low being 3:1 high is 1:.43 over drive. There is to much overdrive for the size of the rear tire ATV are much smaller so I cannot get to full shift which limits my top speed. I can adjust it to shift at 3600 RPM but that means anything above 25mph (40kph) the engine runs at a constant 3600rpm which will shorten its life. I will play with the adjustment next summer when I have a tach. The other warning is if you are going over 10hp the driven clutch is only has a 3/4 shaft and it will break. If you go on the CVTech web site go into the student sponsership area as it has full discription and drawings for the Mini Baja set up

Saen
bhtooefr wrote:Alright, what am I missing?

So I've looked up the specs on the 06 Serie and the LP3, which is the combination that DieselFly is using, and I noticed the following ranges in diameter:

06 Serie: 184-192.5 mm
LP3: 220-228 mm

184/228 is a 0.807:1 ratio, and 192.5/220 is a 0.875:1 ratio. That's a really, really narrow ratio spread.

So, what am I missing here?

(Trying to calculate setups for what I want to build.)
Finished and riding 1975
hardtail.
bhtooefr
Been here a while now..

Post by bhtooefr »

Hmm, that's an insanely tall overdrive. You'd end up needing something like a 10 tooth front and an 80 or 90 tooth rear to get a reasonable ratio at max shift-out.

Also, I'm not sure running it at 3600 all the time will cause significant longevity issues - keep in mind that these engines are optimized to run at 3000 or 3600 driving a generator head all day long. In fact, I was under the impression that engines were wearing out from being driven hard at ~2500 RPM, and Punsuns were cracking blocks from doing that?
DieselFly

Post by DieselFly »

max contiuous is 3000rpm I am shifting out below this and can't get to full shift out. Increased rpm burns more fuel plus the extra nosie around town is a problem so I will work at finding the best balance. There was 2" of snow on the car when I left work and that fell in two hours and it pissed rain for two days before that. I have a lots of times to come up with more reasons for test rides to tell my wife before spring. I the mean time I will upgrade the jackshaft then I can turn the wick back up on the engine.

Sean
bhtooefr wrote:Hmm, that's an insanely tall overdrive. You'd end up needing something like a 10 tooth front and an 80 or 90 tooth rear to get a reasonable ratio at max shift-out.

Also, I'm not sure running it at 3600 all the time will cause significant longevity issues - keep in mind that these engines are optimized to run at 3000 or 3600 driving a generator head all day long. In fact, I was under the impression that engines were wearing out from being driven hard at ~2500 RPM, and Punsuns were cracking blocks from doing that?
Finished and riding 1975
hardtail.
tabernac
I'm pretty new here..

Post by tabernac »

Kimpex Catalog has a full line of CV Tech clutches and kits. Has anyone tried a CVTech set-up? What series and calibration kits seem to be working best?

EDIT: The Kimpex catalog only had specific setups for ATV's and snow machines - I found this guy who operates as Airdam and he supplies the clutches AND sets them up for you according to your machine specs. Here is the website. I intend to email him and see what he has to say about low hp diesel bikes...
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

The ones used in the French microcars are made in Canada Comex?? I believe they are usd in snowmobiles if that's any help?
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

just to add the front pulley is a taper fit and the rear is a 3/4" keyed shaft 3/16" key. I used a Manco/Murray shaft from the USA on the rear and got the 1" robin drive shaft turned down to a taper to match the front pulley. I don't know if the "industry standard" engine taper shafts would fit(depending on your engine) but as the rear is industry standard 3/4" there is a good chance the taper is standard. See the aixam and microcar group on yahoo for more info/links