My medication's not working!

Where members can post their photos, interests, and other personal information.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

porkyvee
I'm pretty new here..

My medication's not working!

Post by porkyvee »

Hi, Porkyvee here, real name Tim Baynes from a little Fen Village North of Cambridge UK.
I've had this desire to build a diesel motorcycle for a while, and with underfunded early retirement this year, it's time to search for individuality, eccentricity and ECONOMY.
The plan is to use a BMW boxer frame, gearbox and rolling stock and a PUNSUN Vtwin engine which I am in the process of expensively importing.
I plan to mount the motor Guzzi-wise across the frame. The problem is going to be mating engine to clutch and gearbox, but I like a challenge. Someone must have done it.
Can anyone recommend an agent to handle the import (VAT, duty, delivery etc) from the port of entry?
Love the forum, nice to be onboard.
Got a BMW R100 outfit, and a solo R100, both rat bikes. Wife's got a Harley sportster, and I've had a Guzzi and an Enfield in the past.
Kind regards to all
Porky
Sphere
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: My medication's not working!

Post by Sphere »

Can I just recommend against importing a Punsun? A guy on this forum is on his 3rd crank and has confirmed other heart breaking stories of engine failure related to the Punsuns. I haven't heard much bad stuff of the KM2V80s but I have no first hand experience.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
zarquon

Post by zarquon »

Martin Cruder from Austria has done a similar conversion
http://classic.dieselkrad.info/dieselmo ... +R80d.html

But I don't know what happens to the bike in the last three yers. I should ask him is the bike is still alive.
thundercougarfalconbird

Post by thundercougarfalconbird »

sphere, who is having the crankshaft troubles? and what type of drive system are they running? cvt or trans?
any pix would be nice to see where the failure is happening and if it is in the same spot all the time.

my punsun is still alive with the turbo, so it would be nice to find out why this other engine is failing.

BTW did you get your bike finished, havent seen any activity on here in a long while
I'll do what i feel.
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Zem has been plagued with crank failure. Details over there. My bike is not finished, it's actually reduced to parts atm. But it's close, perhaps I can share happy news after the 23rd.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
DieselFly

Post by DieselFly »

Was it not the 25hp one that were breaking cranks?
Finished and riding 1975
CB500t Turbo Punsun powered
hardtail.
porkyvee
I'm pretty new here..

Post by porkyvee »

Aaaarrrgghhh. Crank failure? Who's Zem; where is "over there". Better get this sorted out while there's still time. The R80 link was amazing. I would never have thought of sawing the arse end off a BMW crankcase to make a bell housing. Food for thought.
Roger at Punsun swears his engines are good. I work in an office with three chinese engineers so they better be.
Thanks for the replies so far....any more on this alleged reliability problem would be much appreciated.
Porky :roll:
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Well over there means from Zem. Zem is a guy from Austria. Perhaps these crank failures occur mainly in Europe because of the transmission type; CVT is not really popular here, and a lot of conversions use shaft drive or an external gearbox. I image that a CVT will just slip and not torque up the crank into breakage.
zarquon

Post by zarquon »

Crank failure!
http://wiki.dieselkrad.info/Bild:Hamm20 ... lwelle.jpg

What I can additionally say is that we have many bikes with engines from Hatz, Lombarini, Ruggerini or Yanmar that were running for years now and some of them have a high milage. But I know no Punsun powered bike that has really done some milage and is still running.

Using a Punsun seems to be a risk in my eyes. Until now I've seen only two bikes using the watercooled V2 from Kipor. Not enough to be sure, but they seem to work better.
porkyvee
I'm pretty new here..

Post by porkyvee »

Many thanks Zarquon
that's it then, I'll give up on the Punsun and investigate other possible units.
Thanks to all
Porky :cry:
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Hello Porkyvee.

Looking at that punsun crank, I feel lucky that a Ruggerini rd211 dropped into my lap instead of a Punsun. Having said that Whiskers seems to be getting on ok with his Punsun.

My Rug has done 3500 miles or so, revved her to 3700rpm and no problems so far (with the engine that is). In the future I hope to rev her to 4000rpm with some Ruggerini outboard motor parts.

You might have enough room in your Beemer for a Smart car engine. :D
porkyvee
I'm pretty new here..

Post by porkyvee »

I've just bought a second hand diesel enfield from Henry Price. I'll use this and see how I get on.
I haven't given up the idea of a self build though, but will take time and advice (thanks already chaps) I'd thought about a Smart diesel- seems an attractive package - and maybe that's the way I'll go when funds allow. The BMW R65 will have to go though. Still, I'm now diesel mounted so give me some respect!!
Thanks everyone
Porky :D
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Gratz! Shame you are parting with the R65 I have seen a R45 conversion that looks very nice.
porkyvee
I'm pretty new here..

Post by porkyvee »

Fear not Sphere,
I still have an R45 frame, gearbox and rolling stock in the wardrobe for my project!
I WILL do it (if I'm spared)
Porky
porkyvee
I'm pretty new here..

Post by porkyvee »

Does anyone know what motor the Punsun was cloned from, or was it a Chinese design? Is the Yanmar 2V750 known to members?
Porky
bhtooefr
Been here a while now..

Post by bhtooefr »

My understanding was that the Punsun is based on the Yanmar L-series single cylinder design, but what can't be shared with that engine is Chinese design?
porkyvee
I'm pretty new here..

Post by porkyvee »

Well, just to put this thread to bed, I rode the Enfield diesel back to Cambridge flat out (5 1/2 hours on the motorway) and was well impressed.
Second, when I cancelled the order for the Punsun, Roger was most upset to hear why and says his engines are now much improved. Maybe I'll risk it someday. If there was a UK importer I definitely would, for warranty peace of mind.
Regards to all
Porky