nice 10 HP CAR

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

travelcrazy
Been here a while now..

nice 10 HP CAR

Post by travelcrazy »

http://www.utterpower.com/10hp_chevy.htm

WTF? Great idea ;)

Who's gonna build a nice atv/ buggy?

Travel
Sphere
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: nice 10 HP CAR

Post by Sphere »

50mph? Why does Ian bother with shaving off kilos then :shock:
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
SirDiesel
Been here a while now..

Post by SirDiesel »

lol i love it.. tube buggies and quads woohoo

saw a vid on youtube of a fiat 500 (old one) someone had put a lil diesel in.. looked quite good
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Most likely Heiko's
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
TedV

Post by TedV »

a bike could add weight of fairings and increase its speed.

I wonder what a Subaru 360 could do with a 3cyl in it? eeh most likely 60mph. :lol:
bhtooefr
Been here a while now..

Post by bhtooefr »

Something to consider is that the VW 1L Concept weighs 290 kg/640 lbs, has an 8.5 hp diesel, can do 120 km/h/75 MPH, and can get 1 l/100 km/235 mpUSg.

True, that weight is achieved using exotic materials, a 300cc monobloc aluminum OHC diesel, and a custom transmission, but then again, they were also aiming to meet some form of safety standards with it. If you say "to hell with the safety standards," similar results can be achieved at a much, much lower cost. (And, it's actually part of a long-term project that I've been in the planning stages on for a year and a half or so now. I'm definitely going to build a diesel bike first, but then that will come next, once I have the space, tools, and skills to do it.)
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

bhtooefr wrote:... If you say "to hell with the safety standards," similar results can be achieved at a much, much lower cost. (And, it's actually part of a long-term project that I've been in the planning stages on ....)
Save your family and yourself THOUSANDSSSSSSSS by skimping on reasonable available safety mechanisms in/on the vehicle. Makes since on paper till you add in the expense of... minor accident becoming major w/out safety mechanisms.... cost of hospital, out of work time, rehab, and/or life long disability and the math swings to the opposit direction costing you in the hundreds of thousands in dollars and heart ache in the millions. Not worth it.

IMHO everyone in here should be wearing airbag jackets on their bikes if they have any loved ones out there at all.
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

I don't know if airbag jackets are a good safety measure, perhaps in some very specific collisions. For motorcyclists internal injuries are often severe.

Fatalities in cars in the US are mainly due to DUI (40%, you or the other driver), unbelted crashes (15%), drowsiness, the absense of guardrails on major roads and a few other minor contributors.

Having said that I would not consider building my own car and driving it for more than recreational purposes. We have come a long way since the '60s.
Gasoil
I don't post much...

Post by Gasoil »

coachgeo wrote: IMHO everyone in here should be wearing airbag jackets on their bikes if they have any loved ones out there at all.
[/quote]
IMHO that's a really silly ill informed statement.
Last edited by Gasoil on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Sorted.
Last edited by Sphere on Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gasoil
I don't post much...

Post by Gasoil »

Thanks Sphere, sorted :roll:
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Gasoil wrote:
coachgeo wrote: IMHO everyone in here should be wearing airbag jackets on their bikes if they have any loved ones out there at all.
IMHO that's a really silly ill informed statement.
One should never assume. Did a good bit of research on the topic, my masters work is in Biomechanics, done designs of safe fall areas where complicated falls are enevitable and have taught how to recover from falls as part of my daily job for over 30years as well so ..... this time its yourself who could be the one who is ill informed
Gasoil
I don't post much...

Post by Gasoil »

First of all apologies to the OP, very off topic!

"everyone in here should be wearing airbag jackets on their bikes if they have any loved ones out there at all."

Air bag jackets have been evolving for some time but are still in their infancy, far from having all the snags ironed out, they are possibly something we may all be wearing in the future but to say everyone should be wearing them now IMHO is plain silly.
Is it only people with "loved ones" who value their lives?
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Gasoil wrote:First of all apologies to the OP, very off topic!

... Is it only people with "loved ones" who value their lives?
nope but choseing to risk your own life/limb is your choice.... BUT folk with loved ones often must consider results of their decisions beyond themselves.

OT rant over. Appologize for OTing the thread
bhtooefr
Been here a while now..

Post by bhtooefr »

And even with an airbag jacket, you're far less safe in a motorcycle than in a mass-produced small car.

And even in that mass-produced small car, you're far less safe than you'd be in a giant SUV.

So, let's all drive giant SUVs. ;)
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

bhtooefr wrote:...So, let's all drive giant SUVs. ;)
Prefer a Unimog myself :mrgreen: and to bring us back to Diesel Bikes.... I got into Diesel Bikes to go with my under construction Diesel Unimog* expedition camper. One fuel is the best way to go.

*now sold cause Im broke :oops:
Sphere

Post by Sphere »