CVT; does it have potential differential characteristics?

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

CVT; does it have potential differential characteristics?

Post by coachgeo »

Trike building; especially Rev. Trike.

Bearing in mind the issue of needing to figure out how to go about dealing with the manual tranny shifting... One solution would be remove tranny and go with CVT... buttttt. this then creates another issue of... once you remove the tranny off a FWD engine in preparation for CVT use.... you have now lost the differential too since they are inside the same case. (verified in this thread )

sooooo how about this?

. Reverse Trike
. Tranny removed from FWD engine
. TWO CVT's mounted to flywheel
. One CVT runs an Axle shaft to left front wheel
. Second CVT runs an axle shaft to right front wheel
. Axle shafts for left and right side are not connected to one another.

Willl... cvt on side of bike in the direction of turn automatically adjust for the shorter distance traveled by that tire (inside tire, slower tire rotation needed) While the outer tire's CVT has adjusted for the longer distance travel ?

Essentially... this set up.... if my theory is right.. would eliminate any need for a differential.
cumorglas

Re: CVT; does it have potential differential characteristics?

Post by cumorglas »

i don't think so. i think the cvt will try to straighten it out all the time. like having a spool in the front axle of your jeep. even if that isn't the case it will be VERY squirrelly on slick pavement. i had a lunchbox locker in the front of my jeep and after trashing a rear driveshaft had to drive home withthe front only through an inch an hour snowfall. Really dont recommend it. if

If you want this setup with a cvt try finding an old justy in the wreckers. or just put the cvt into the transaxle input shaft like this one.
http://www.utterpower.com/10hp_chevy.htm
albertaphil

Post by albertaphil »

I concur with cumorglas.

While a differential allows for each wheel to spin at a different speed, they are still tied to together such that ONE power input is distributed between the two wheels; any speed increase by one wheel is accompanied by a commensurate decrease in speed of the other.

The "two CVT" setup would have two independent transmission that will be "shifting gears" based on their own torque and power inputs and requirements leading to a very unstable vehicle. Think of it as an "anti-stability system".

Phil
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

interesting input. Thanks
IgorVigor

Post by IgorVigor »

You can get differentials for chain drive axles...

some ride on mowers (with a seperate gearbox) have a chain drive rear axle with a small diff, that the sprocket attaches to...

I dont know, but you might be able to buy/make one for a CVT...

apart from that, it probably would be easier to get a CVT equipped car's gearbox/axle...
tappy

Post by tappy »

Check out the old DAF CVT cars - the later versions had a diff on the back of the engine, then two separate CVTs - one for each wheel. This suggests that CVT alone cannot provide differential drive.
So you'd need to find yourself a diff - as commented above there are a few about.
There is a benefit to this too. I've been unable to put a CVT on my bike because the low speed, strong pulses require a CVT so large as to be fuggly. BUT, by having two linked with a diff you can use smaller, cheaper ones or large ones with more power going thru' them.
If you get hold of a diff with the ability to "lock up" then you might also have a "limp home on a single belt" potential if a belt snaps and you're not carrying a spare. But it's a trike, so I'm sure you can fit a spare in somewhere amongst the beer :).
Curtis in Texas

Post by Curtis in Texas »

Coach,, I have a few extra FWD trannys if you want to look at them. They are even clean!!!!!
One is an automatic and several 5 speeds.
They came out of Isuzus FWD Sedans. These should give you an upclose look at what your thinking.
I use them in my Isuzu Diesel conversions I do.
Oh, and don't forget, we are almost neighbors.
I called you a few minutes ago about an Ultra Tranny. Left message.
It only cost a little more to go first class,
You just can't stay as long...