DVLA - success

Insurance & Registration issues etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

mark_in_manchester
I luv the smell of Diesel...

DVLA - success

Post by mark_in_manchester »

Well, Swansea seem OK with my Daihatsu Charade engine in the Ural frame - I just got back the V5 with the updated engine number and fuel type, keeping the same reg number. Having sent the logbook off with the changes added, they replied to say I needed an 'engineers report provided for insurance purposes', which my MOT station provided for me - B&C motorcyles of Oldham Rd Manchester have been very helpful, and if you're stuck and in the North of England I'd strongly recommend them. As noted in an earlier thread in the 'Technical' section of this forum, the gist of the report was that the modification had been carried out using appropriate materials and techniques to a suitable standard, and that the machine was MOT worthy. Might be worth noting that DVLA were sniffy about the proposed new capacity, and needed some verification that a 993cc heavy oil engine exists - a note on the report and a photocopy of the spec page from the manual seemed to do it.

So - now to compare Carole Nash / Footman James etc etc and find someone to insure it. Then work out how many miles a year I need to do to make it cheaper to run than the standard Ural...did someone mutter 'false economy'? It must just be the Voices...

cheers
Mark, Manchester
coachgeo

Re: DVLA - success

Post by coachgeo »

Congratulations.

Though I know nothing about your system, seems to make since that if you passed MOT & DLVA then how can someone NOT insure you??
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

I have 4 bikes on a single policy with Quoteline direct, 2 of them are diesels - 160 quid a year third party only.

It took a bit of phone work to get the Tiger added but with the engineers report from the MOT guy it all went ok.

Dave
mark_in_manchester

Post by mark_in_manchester »

Thanks for those insurance ideas. I've currently got a classic policy with Carole Nash (although, riding eastern bloc bikes for reasons of inverted snobbery, I prefer to avoid the 'c' word) which is very good value for central Manchester - 90 quid TPFT for all bikes. I imagine I'll get cover - but I suspect there will be increased cost, which may well wipe out fuel economy advantages unless I do a lot of miles. Perhaps I can try that with the missus - 'sorry dear, it's Inverness this weekend or all those nights in the shed will have been in vain - see you Monday'.

M.
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

I have had the exact opposite problems here in France.
Just popped into the insurance office and got insurance there and then, TPFT +breakdown + Medical cover for 79 euros a year.
Registering it here was a bit of a problem, as the DVLA would not give me an export certificate for over two months saying it was not necessary. Eventually they relented, and I now have a provisional French number. It is one of the new 'lifetime of the vehicle' numbers now being issued in France.
Registration cost 86 euros :( but now no more road tax or MOT's to worry about :).
Larry
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

So what was the origional cc's of the bike?
A bit sniffy doesn't sound good, I wonder what they would say about 350cc to 954cc.
andrewaust
Site Admin

Post by andrewaust »

Here in OZ, each bike over 300cc's costs!

Insurance $480 to $690 Plus

Registration $110, meaning the cheapest is $590 a year. You cannot combine insurance. Some people are slugged over $1000 a year if theft is taken out.

I spend around $4500.00 just on vehicle registration charges for one year. Chuggy is actually a deciding factor whether to rego or park it in a corner for a while.

A ;)
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

So really in Australia your only hope for a diesel bike that saves you money is to buy one that has come off the production line? Doesn't sound good. :(
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Wow that seems excessive! How many vehicles are covered by that 4500?
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
andrewaust
Site Admin

Post by andrewaust »

Anorak_ian wrote:So really in Australia your only hope for a diesel bike that saves you money is to buy one that has come off the production line? Doesn't sound good. :(
Yep! we"re certainly being fleeced "ripped-off" down here, New South Wales is the biggest one, and is where I'm at :( !!

Sphere wrote:Wow that seems excessive! How many vehicles are covered by that 4500?
1 4WD (SUV) Antique :)
1 Sedan
Chuggy :) "Enfield"
2 Dirt bikes
1 Trailer "when chuggy dies in the ass" .............. lol.

A ;)