Doner bike registration / SVA testing

Insurance & Registration issues etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

tappy
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Doner bike registration / SVA testing

Post by tappy »

OK folks, I've searched seperately for "DVLA" & "registration" on this forum and various other places, and have arrived at the following conclusion. I'd be grateful if anyone can confirm this or otherwise..:

IF I can fit mi Hatz engine & gearbox without significantly altering the frame, then I need not have an MSVA test, and simply fill out the new engine & fuel details on the V5, and then go for an MOT.

IF the MOT tester decides I've modified the frame significantly, he may refuse a certificate, and then I go off for an MSVA test, whereupon they observe the modified frame and issue a Q-plate.

So it's partly down to the discretion of the MOTer and what they think is "significant" modification?

IF the above is true, then what might I get away with? Revised engine mount bracketry? Revised footpeg mount bracketry? Revised fuel tank mounts? Revised seat mounts? What about a different swingarm & rear wheel (so as to allow chain drive instead of shaft)?
I figure cutting and shutting bits of the frame is out, unless I do it so subtley that it's not noticeable...
sbrumby

Re: Doner bike registration / SVA testing

Post by sbrumby »

My advice is do what you want. If you go to any custom show and look at the bikes, the bobbers and choppers all have regular number plates( not Q plates ) so if it is a suzuki with a rigid back end you can bet it didnt start life like it.
Sam
mark_in_manchester

Post by mark_in_manchester »

Hi All -
Interesting ideas about DVLA etc. I think my MOT tester will pass my bike - but he'll retire one day soon, and then we're into hassle again!
What about insurance. Any UK readers like to suggest a company looking favourably on 'specials' like those we're building here? I imagine my 'Carole-Nash' classic policy isn't going to stretch to it...
Mark, Manchester
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

Carol Nash will do it, but is expensive, Footman James is more easy and cheaper, especially is you join a club.
Sam
mark_in_manchester

Post by mark_in_manchester »

Sam -

Thanks for that suggestion - I've got a 'club' policy with CN so I'll get quotes from both to cover all bikes incl diesel.

Frustrating that I could go like hell on any kind of shitty 'classic' Z1 or CB750 with CN for 80 quid, but specials are expensive - but there you go!

M.