Build Thread US Diesel Tiger

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Build Thread US Diesel Tiger

Post by coachgeo »

Time to get this thread started.

Took the MAJOR plunge today. New Turbo Diesel B&S / Dihatsu 3cyl ordered. Found a really good deal. More on that later.

Bike 96 and 97 Triumph Tiger. Will put two together to make one. Will have LOTS of parts left over.

Ultima 6speed

3" dry clutch Belt drive
TedV

Re: Build Thread US Diesel Tiger

Post by TedV »

sweet, can't wait to see one on this side of the pond 8)
coachgeo wrote:
Took the MAJOR plunge today. New Turbo Diesel B&S / Dihatsu 3cyl ordered. Found a really good deal. More on that later.
how good a deal and do they have another? :mrgreen:
I love the sound of my no-muffler turbo VW's
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

good bit less than the 3500+ others are charging. I've been asked to hold the price under my belt for a while. :cry:

you guys let me know who might be intrested in something ranging from 3grand to 3500 before shipping. Numbers might influence things
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

BTW folk on DieselBike, this thread is being watched and discussed by friends from both the AdvRider board and the Tiger Board.

Also, I'm betting all of you Diesel Bike heads have the spirit of Adventure Riders. Really suggest you guys join up over there. Most members of the Tiger board are also members of Advriders already.
LocomotiveBreath

Post by LocomotiveBreath »

George, please post a link to the your threads on AVDrider and the Tiger forums.

I had some interest on diesel motorcycles after I saved another couple of guys on thier BMW's and KLR650's

see here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthre ... 188&page=2
“Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave, and keep on thinking free. "Moody Blues"
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Just ran into a major snag.

Gotta move the whole opperation to TX from CA and create a new build team you might say.

Puts a delay on things. Bikes are in CA
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I reckon that with this build Heiko may well have come up with a 'template' for the next generation of diesel bike conversion here. It's a good looking bike and like most Triumph's sports a 3 cyclinder engine and there's plenty of room in there to fit the box. That coupled with decent performance compared to bikes of old could and should encourage others to follow Heiko's lead. Now if only he could be persuaded to draw up detailed plans of how he made this bike and sell them I think he could be on to a winner :D
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

agree with all you say.

Wish that model Tiger was more availabe in America. They are very hard to come by here.
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

Amen brother tell it to them :) The tiger definately seems the way forwards although since its the older one they are becoming more scarce as coachgeo says. If theres enough interest in them I can imagine the secondhand value starting to rise!

I'm lucky enough to be using one for my own build at the moment - more info to come if I ever get the engine to run properly. Originally thought i'd have to get a custom made frame. I'd thought about the tiger before but was not sure. Then along comes Heiko and shows us all how its done. Great bike, lots of room in there. Now all we need is a 4cyl trailbike to take apart....

N
Smart engined 800cc turbo diesel triumph tiger. 100mpg (imp)
Belfast to Kathmandu overland, 2010/2011 - http://www.suckindiesel.com
Bangkok to Sydney ???
LocomotiveBreath

I think the Diesel Tiger is really the way to go, I give Heiko two thumbs up! Finally a really nice dual sport bike that runs, works and can be built or had if you have the desire. Now which bike would you really want to ride out into the middle of nowhere, Heikos Diesel Tiger or the other thing? Any polls? Heiko, an adaptor kit? Oh, by the way, I've been in the middle of nowhere on my Hatz/Dnepr.

I'm loving this.

Thanks
Attachments
DSCF0030.JPG
“Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave, and keep on thinking free. "Moody Blues"
dieselbikin

Post by dieselbikin »

Hopefully someone will try to build a Kawasaki KLR or Suzuki DR650 diesel. They are cheap, plentiful, and have great aftermarket support. I bought my 91 DR650S in great shape for $1200. :)
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

The beauty of A tiger for conversion is that it is a Poke Out type engine mount instead of a cradle type engine mount. Least that's how I term it. Not sure how the bike guys call them. Poke Out as in the engine mounts is not cradled with a frame but litteraly just Pokes Out under the tank with only its ass end attached to the frame.
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

Coach makes a good point. Plenty of room in the frame and no need to start chopping up the cradle. I think the tiger has the engine as a stressed member? Need to think carefully about mounting a different engine to avoid frame flex if thats the case perhaps.

n
Bangkok to Sydney ???
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Crazymanneil wrote:... I think the tiger has the engine as a stressed member? Need to think carefully about mounting a different engine to avoid frame flex if thats the case perhaps.
Can someone please define "stress member" did a search but came up empty for definitions. Lot of term usage, but nothing to define it for me at least.

One concern I have is vibration stress. Diesels shake rattle and roll more. I wonder if a light craddle should be added to reduce stress or a craddle or other structural mounts using urithane bushings to disipate the vibes some.?
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

What about -

http://motorcycle-glossary.com/stressed-member/280

Basically without the engine the frame would bend and flex, but bolting the engine in adds rigidity to the thing so some of the bending forces are dealt with by the engine (and gearbox) themselves. Cradle might be a good idea, even just a simple bolt together job to add a bit more stength perhaps. I guess it depends how everything fits in there - I ain't a mechanical enginineer thats for sure. :?

N (engine all back together, just to get oil now and try it again)
Bangkok to Sydney ???
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

I suppose it just means the engine is an integral part of the frame. Unlike frames such as Honda CB frames, where the construction is stiff without the engine?
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

Sphere wrote:I suppose it just means the engine is an integral part of the frame. Unlike frames such as Honda CB frames, where the construction is stiff without the engine?
Yup, thats about the height of it although I don't pretend to know much about these things. The backbone of the tiger frame is pretty chunky though so maybe the frame is ok on its own? I think the more metal you can throw at it around the bottom the better (probably).
Bangkok to Sydney ???
Curtis in Texas

Post by Curtis in Texas »

Coach, Any progress on this?

Can't find anything on it.

Curtis in Texas
It only cost a little more to go first class,
You just can't stay as long...
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Had to cancel first engine order due to funds needing to keep my biz alive.

Just got a loan... ordered engine and they are out of stock. May be a blessing in disguise for a while though. ... Was at my home about to put up a Tent Garage to put the Tigers under and to use as a shop.... when a new neighbor showed up and kicked me harder the gut than I ever have in my whole life. But hey..... life in the last two years has been building me an iron exterior so I'll figure something out.

He has hired lawyers to kick me off my own fully paid for, with a home on it, land and so far he is winning. Mostly cause I can't afford a lawyer.

My Property is land locked if it was not for an easment a previous neighbor had given me when he sold me the land. His land then went into forclosure and he lost it all. New owner bought it in auction. This dude has gotten the easment canceled... making my land unusuable with no access. He's given me a week to trespase on his property to remove everything. Which of course is physically and finacially impossible for me.

Aint life a biatch. :twisted:
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

The USA, where you can forfeit constitutional right by means of signing a contract. Smashing. I guess in civil lawsuits there is no pro bono?
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
Curtis in Texas

Man Coach, I would go Postal if I had that happen to me.
Let me know if there is anything I can do.
I've got lots of room and a empty bike lift in the shop you can use to get your mind off the situation.
It may be a bit cluttered, but that's because I've got too many tools and projects.

I'll be pulling for a peacful resolution.

Curtis
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

That definately sucks Coach, hope you get sorted soon.

n
Bangkok to Sydney ???
smokyjoe

Post by smokyjoe »

If a " landlocked" lot is sold a permanent easement for access is granted and put into both the purchase-and-sale agreement and the final deed for your lot, otherwise it couldn't have been sold, at least that's the case up here in Taxachusetts. An access easement can't be taken away like this, I'm sure you have a solid case but it will probably take some legal action on your part.

Look up your state's Bar Association on the web- they should have something about a Pro Bono legal referral service. They will offer help in civil cases. If your income is below a certain amount they'll refer you to someone who can help you for free. In the mean time you should be able to get a temporary order to continue the easement until your day in court, if that's what it takes. I'm sure that you could sue the guy who sold it to you if you can't get satisfaction otherwise, but as they say you can't get blood from a rock.

Isn't it great that there are pr!(%$ like this on the earth, having one next door sucks. I've a few (not as bad as yours by any means) , I had to register and insure 2 old Diesel VW's I am restoring in order to keep them in my yard and I had to give away an old Honda CR500 shafty because it was not registered and insured and was kept outside. And since their "complaints" were put in anominously (yes, they can do it) I don't even know who they are and it has been going on for over 20 years. If I could do it again I'd buy 100 acres on a heavily wooded mountain and surround it with razor wire and nasty dogs.

Good luck
LocomotiveBreath

Hey George,

I'll give ya a call, if there is anything I can help you with let me know, maybe Karma wants you to move back to CA? 8)

Dave
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Dave - got you call. Didn't reply cause there's nothing really to report about the property yet.

Took a gamble.... engines are in stock again. Ordered one.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

ARGGGGGGGGGGgggggg .. Im going to shoot someone. Guy Im working with on getting these Briggs engines at a reasonable price got it arranged to have one dropped shipped to me from Briggs so I would not have to wait till he actually had one. Didn't know that was what he was doing this time till today. Nice of him to do that.

soooo guess who calls me today....

Briggs..
Briggs wrote:Sorry we are out of them. Will be three or four months till we know when we will get any more.. we need X number of orders collected first before we bring any in from overseas
geeeeeezzzzzzzz Im batting negative numbers :twisted:
Last edited by coachgeo on Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

You really are going through the mill on this one Coach! I hate when suppliers mess you around. Surely you`d think he would have been in a position to drop ship the last time if he had no stock? Hateful.

Is this something we could fix you up with from over the pond? Buy one here then get it freighted out to you?
Bangkok to Sydney ???
Curtis in Texas

My supplier may have one if you'd like for me to check with them.
We may be using the same people, so get to excited.

You have me Cell #.
And it's a local call.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

well its back to the drawing board.

All those engines are now gone. Price I could get is now gone. Been superseeded to a newer model which is a tad better, 3800 RPM over 3600 and smaller fan. BUT would still have to order and will be $2000 dollars more.

Project is back on hold. Maybe next year ??
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Moving forward again.

See below thread to see info about new to me Kubota purchased for this project

https://www.dieselbikeforum.com/view ... =21&t=1184

Some previous discussion on Tiger frame mods can be found here

https://www.dieselbikeforum.com/view ... =25&t=1087
Last edited by coachgeo on Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.