I hate wiring bikes

Wiring, Switches, Alternators, Regulators, etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Diesel Dave
Site Admin

I hate wiring bikes

Post by Diesel Dave »

My home made kettle lead wiring loom finally gave up conducting volts around the bike so I had to knock up a new one.

I did make a much better job of it this time, proper crimped bullets and all the wires in a streachy loom tube. I stick to the old fashioned brass bullet connectors 'cos you just put one on the end of each wire - no chance of getting it wrong!

Still it all came good in the end.

BTW I've binned the Enfield regulator and stuck in a simple bridge rectifier - i need all the volts I can get.

Even fitted a circuit breaker too, so no more fuses for me :D

Just one mistake to own up to, the ammeter is reading backwards :oops:

I hope this one lasts longer than the 2 years the last one did.

Dave
andrewaust
Site Admin

Re: I hate wiring bikes

Post by andrewaust »

Dave I have to admit wiring can be a pain too :)

That's a good idea regarding the circuit breaker, fuses are a pain especially if you only carry one and it also blows = oooooppppss :oops:

The biggest problem with bike wiring can be a breakage near the tripple clams where the steering pivots, especially if you put the steering lock on repeatedly to stop five finger discounters wanting your bike ;). Yeah Australia still have convicts I feel :lol: :roll: :shock: :|

A;)
Anorak_ian
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: I hate wiring bikes

Post by Anorak_ian »

I don't use bullets and spades anymore as a while ago my cb360 had a low tension coil bullet connector come apart 150 miles from home, being a twin it kept going but it over heated, and I had to re build the top end of the engine due of that.
Bullets and spades just come apart or the wires come off, so now I solder all my wires and use heat shrink tubes, looks better too.

I had an old jawa cz that suffered really bad when it rained, the thing stopped charging the battery so when that was flat you best be back at home. That was down to a non solid state 6 volt rectifier regulator box; surprisingly the steel wires didn't cause any problems.

My first Harley had a battery made in south East Asia somewhere, not being up on Harleys back then I replaced the dead bat with the same type, a week across Europe and a week back home it was deader than dog doo.

We live and learn.

I just hope my diesel can kick start! :D