Replacing Enfield drum brake with disc, need help...

Topics concerning those circular things and how to stop them..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Tortilladiesel
I'm pretty new here..

Replacing Enfield drum brake with disc, need help...

Post by Tortilladiesel »

The kit with the rim and disc brake arrived today.
Just fitted the disc to the rim and I am now looking into fitting the wheel to the fork. Axle has to be reused as there was none included.
There are lots of shims, spacers nuts and bolts and no assembly information :(

Anyone ever fitted this kit to a 2000 Enfield Diesel??
Is there a Howto somwhere?

Tor
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Enfield Disk Brake Kit

Post by Diesel Dave »

I did the disk brake conversion on my petrol Enfield about 2 years ago.

It's aimed at the Indian market where labour is a bit cheaper than materials so only the bare minimum is included - you are expected to re-use the axle and bearings and indeed the rim as only new spokes are included.

It sounds like you have the wheel built already so your good to go.

I would not re-use the wheel bearings as removing them (bashing out with a hammer) will damage the faces - you will need to remove them to get the axle out. - NOTE which way round the axle goes!

I found it easier to install one new bearing into the hub and then install the axle from the opposite side - you will need to support the inner face of the bearing whilst tapping in the axle - I used a long piece of tube held in a Workmate portable bench - then tap home the axle into the bearing 'till the axle shoulder makes contact with the inner race.

Then turn the whole plot over and insert the other bearing and tap it home - gently! Ideally you need a drift that fits over the axle end and is wide enough to contact both the inner and outer faces of the bearing. Then follows the bearing retainers trapping the felt washers between them and on the speedo side there is a shouldered spacer to follow.

The caliper is a simple bolt on job using the budguard mounting holes - you do need to shorten one of the mudguard stays so it bolts into the top hole only.

You don't even need to bleed the system as it arrives pre-filled and this is prob. a good idea in Indian workshops as a tiny spec of dirt can cause problems.

It's a bit 'wooden' compared to the modern jappo stuff so I'd resist fitting a braided pipe - the rubber one swells a little and softens this effect. It's powerful enough to twist the forks in an emergency so bed it in and then practice some emergency stops to get used to the effect.

Hope this helps
Dave
Tortilladiesel
I'm pretty new here..

Axle inserted

Post by Tortilladiesel »

Seems as if the hub I recieved was made for some other axle that could be put straight through as the bearings was allready mounted, and a short distance tube was in between the bearings.
But I've now mounted the axle from the drum-hub.
Speedo-gear is monted with needed clearing and all is well on the right side. Wheel turns well. However on the disc side (left) there is a conflict with the disc and the notch that used to take the torque from the drum plate.
The disc comes real close to the leg of the fork, some 5 mm. I guess its more that enough.

Is this notch to be grinded off?

I dont want to do some irreversible modifications if not absolutely needed.... :)
Last edited by Tortilladiesel on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Enfield disk brake

Post by Diesel Dave »

Yes you need to remove the drum brake lug from the LH fork leg.

I used a hacksaw (very carefully) but your right it's a one way deal.

Your setup sounds like the one used on the electra which has a removable axle rather than the usuall clamped in affair.

Dave
Tortilladiesel
I'm pretty new here..

Lug is gone...

Post by Tortilladiesel »

...and the caliper is fitted. The C-shaped adapter between fork and caliper was mounted on the inside of the mounts for the mudguard and the caliper on the inside of the adapter plate.

I'd tried to fit the wheel but it seems as if the disc is too close to the fork leg and thus hitting the caliper :( :(
Guess I have two sets of wheels/axles that cannot be mixed?

I think I got the axle the right way in as the longest part need to go through the speedo gear and the shorter will not allow that.

Though I am very experienced with mechanics I admit this is a PITA :( :evil:
Wish there where som pics somewhere to get a clue :roll: