Junk survival Jawa

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Brainsparks30
I don't post much...

Junk survival Jawa

Post by Brainsparks30 »

I have a Jawa 632 that I would like to dieselise. Its not special, and I had any other mid size twin cradle frame I would use that, but I don't so there.
I see that there is a home built engined Jawa on here, which is nice.
I already have a second hand 10hp Yanmar clone that runs with electric start , most important, I can't very well kick.
I would look to upgrade it later on, using this one more as a template.
I would prefer an auto setup with a cvt, but have heard of villiers gearbox setups. Its more a matter of cost. And being crippled. I'd prefer automatic. I'll probably flog off all the two stroke parts eventually.

I have a better spare 1980 frame to make it an instant 'classic' and run it practically for free. I like free. I can afford free.
I would want to damp vibration as much as much as possible to make it comfortable, i have seen rubber mounts available, springs under saddle? My Back is stuffed...need my luxury.

Do girls like Diesel? How much 'pulling power' does a yanmar have? Nonsense, of course they do.

I have a lathe that I am still putting together to lean how to metal wizard. Non standard parts in the future...
I don't want to have to chop the frame, but will if I must, got a nice mig set to weld with.
Strangely, (most want it loud) I would like to make it run quietly (diesel stealth factor) for covert ops in the East Anglian zombie wastes. Don't want to get chewed on. low profile survival.

Speed is not a priority (naturally) being obnoxious (to a degree) is, as is reliability. Who wants to recover there own bike? No post collapse green flag, see? Not falling of is import, and the awsome continental 60/40 tyres I fitted (and never used) in a hazy dream of green laning will help.

I guess I could run it on derv, but that cost money. I do still happen to have a small bund full of clean processed SVO, however. Got ideas about heating the injector lines with 12 volt wrap around belt heaters. I think that would work. I suppose there is bio, I do have a conical tank somewhere.

I can see that an alternator is a good idea. And a battery that is big enough to be usefull.
Deviously, I fantasize about adding a P.T.O. for running a logging saw, marital aid, generator or any other domestic appliance you care to think of, thereby validating that its is not a motorcycle when it suits me, which makes it suitable for parking anywhere .

Have any other users tried a similar low cost approach? Any notes or drawings?
Cheap is good, free is better.

Brain is sparking.
the grinch
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Junk survival Jawa

Post by the grinch »

Hi it sounds like a good plan and the PTO sounds good idea 1900's saw mill would be good :lol:. if you want automatic maybe CB450A. i think Tim has a superdream he cut the cylinders and the front of the engine off and coupled the gearbox with a belt to the engine have a look around on the other builds. i have a knackerd back and hard tail frame i have a truck seat airbag under my seat with 20PSI in it is good dont feel too much now. There are plenty of builds on the forum to get some ideas and plenty of good advice. Good luck and get building and stick some photos up.
Alex
boutje
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by boutje »

I converted a jawa 640 (almost the same as a 632) to diesel using a yanmar clone engine.

But i used the original gearbox.

If you want any info or photo`s send me a pm or email.
Brainsparks30
I don't post much...

Post by Brainsparks30 »

A seat air bag? That's brilliant! But where does one obtain such a device? Truck scrap yards?
For economy the original manual box might have to do. I have another seized Jawa engine that's literally just taking up floor space that could be hacked (purists tremble) into service.
Hmm, need a PTO from a lawn tractor, no idea what i'm doing. I did actually spy some saw tables, but would need to build a trailer too :lol:

Progress will be slow, my energy is low.
This should be fun :D