Enfield Kubota - belt primary

Clutches, Chain & Belt Drives

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Enfield Kubota - belt primary

Post by Diesel Dave »

Since building the Kubota Z482 into an old Enfield chassis, I have been using the original chain drive and supposedly wet clutch setup with just a drip feed for lubrication.

My last trip to Germany proved tough on this setup and the oil line fractured and left the chain running dry.

I can’t use a completely wet oilbath setup as the Kubota starter motor would not take too kindly to such treatment.

So the obvious answer is to use a dry clutch and toothed belt drive; not a cheap option hence the amount of time this has been ‘pending’.

So after saving all my pennies up for the past 8 months it’s time to splash out and get the job done.

Seems like it’s a straightforward job but there are always ‘wrinkles’:-

1) The clutch is much bigger so the original outer primary cover will not fit.
2) just making a 10mm alloy spacer for the engine pulley too all morning because it’s too big to fit in my tiny lathe.
3) new longer high tensile bolts are needed for the engine pulley, of course they are a non-standard thread pitch too.
4) I had to turn up a new pilot guide for the engine pulley too as the hole is a differ size to the sprocket that was fitted.

Luckily I made the centre distance between the gearbox and engine exactly the same as the original Enfield so the belt tension is spot on.

I have a feeling making up a new outer casing for the primary is going to be a complete pain, but home builds are never easy...

Onwards and upwards.
Dave
Tetronator
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Enfield Kubota - belt primary

Post by Tetronator »

OooH, new bits. :mrgreen:

No need to make the primary cover liquid tight now however.
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan