Daihatsu Exhaust Header

Doing stuff with air...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

oilburner
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Daihatsu Exhaust Header

Post by oilburner »

Another milestone. Fabrication of the exhaust header was a job I dreaded. It took two friggin weeks to make. Each elbow was fabricated from 5 separate wedge shaped pieces of tubing welded together, plus 2 wedges for the 45 degree at the bottom of the front cylinder elbow - 17 in all. Lots of welding and die grinding.

In response to your anticipated question, yes - 4 bolts *are* required for the flanges. There isn't room between the bolt holes and the exhaust port in the cylinder head for the tubing, to permit the use of a conventional style 2 bolt flange. I made up adapter flanges retained with countersunk sockethead bolts.

Next, a Y connector will be welded to the outlet, for left/right exhaust pipes and mufflers.

The grainy appearance and lines are from the crappy flat black paint that I sprayed on prior to taking the pic. The header will be attached using studs and the OEM mechanical lock nuts. A stainless heat shield will be installed, although it won't be absolutely critical as the header tucks neatly against the engine several inches away from the riders leg.

Gettin there,

Avery
oldbmw
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by oldbmw »

That is a great piece of fabrication. Making those lobster or snailbacks takes a lot of time to get right, and you cant always start from the easiest point because then you cant clean up the welds inside very easily.
Larry
SNOOT
I'm pretty new here..

Post by SNOOT »

Look at it this way I don't think you will have any exhaust leaks at the head with four bolts on each header pipe...

Nice work looks great..