Rolling 40 year MOT exemption in the U.K.

Insurance & Registration issues etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Rolling 40 year MOT exemption in the U.K.

Post by Diesel Dave »

So as of 20 May this year the new 40 year rolling exemption from Ministry Roadworthyness testing comes into force.

So pre-1978 converted Enfield and other classics could fall into this category provided we agree that they do not fall into the ‘Substantially Modified’ category.

The guideance document has been issued here

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... idance.pdf

From my simple understanding, I do believe that converted Enfields and similar would be able to take advantage of this new ruling to save the cost of the annual test.

I would like Tom hear other members views however.
sbrumby
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Rolling 40 year MOT exemption in the U.K.

Post by sbrumby »

Thanks for posting this Dave, like anything that the government does it is full of grey areas. Maybe when the time comes its worth filling out the forms and see if it gets accepted.
I would consider the motorcycle to be very different than cars. Not many people make cars but bikes this has always been the case. Triton, Norvin, Tribsa, etc,etc, add to this thought the massive customising that goes on plus the bolt on accessories. Also the load of hardtail bikes on the road that were built with suspension. I would think all trikes will not be mot exempt and also anything with a Q plate. Like I said its a grey area, if you had a landrover all parts are available including the chassis so you could own one have changed every single part and it could be brand new but with a 50 year old plate no tax and no mot.
Sam
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

Just a bit more of an update. A vehicle will generally be VHI ( vehicle of historic interest) if relevant changes were undertaken more than 30 years previously. This will be a rolling 30 years and replaces the fixed date previously proposed by DfT. Major points are, the process is one of self-declaration, the criteria are generic and permit changes made less than 30 years prior to the declaration, which improve efficiency, safety, preservation or environmental performance. For motorcycles only the criteria of Q plates, kits and build up classics prevent declaration as VHI.
For my part I have three bikes that wont get there till 2022,2023, and 2026.
Sam
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

That will satisfy anyone with a Triton/Tribsa/Norvin etc as it was quite common in those days to just swap engines and you could buy the mounting plates easily.