new bike on the road

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

sbrumby
I luv the smell of Diesel...

new bike on the road

Post by sbrumby »

Yesterday did my fist run on my Kawasaki ZL400, got it from the scrap yard last year. In quite good condition and just missing wing mirrors, indicators and air box. Had an issue with the gearbox until I was told Kawasaki`s wont let you change up until you reach 6 mph. That's another story and took 2 weeks to fathom out. The bike is a custom cruiser, low on the ground 400 4 shaft drive, adjustable rear suspension and air adjustable front suspension. Anyway got it insured at £4 extra to the other bikes, MOT £10 from a friend, tax is £41 but most of that will be reclaimed when it comes off in November. Went about 2 miles and it started to hesitate then stopped. restarted and limped back home. Realised out of petrol. 10 miles to the nearest station so had to go in the van. Filled up and off I went again. Very strange experience after driving diesels for 10 years. 6 gears but they are very close together so driving like a diesel 30mph you can be in 6th. Speedo is in Kms but real money is highlighted. Basically every 10mph is a 1000revs. So at 60 mph 6000revs, red line is 12500 so in theory 125mph but A, don't think I would try it and B, don't think I could stand the rev noise. On the dash there are lights one of which says speed this shows red when you hit 60 mph, this must be a Japanese feature.
Sam