GTL Diesel (Gas to liquid)

Usage, MPG, Pricing, Bio-Diesel, etc...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

BertTrack
I luv the smell of Diesel...

GTL Diesel (Gas to liquid)

Post by BertTrack »

For a short while now we've been able to buy the GTL variant of diesel fuel at a local fuel station.

So i ran the Skoda empty and filled it up full with GTL to have a go at it. I want to get rid of the price argument to begin with. It's more expensive yes, but it won't stop me experimenting.

My motivation is ofcourse the Track, everytime i've started the thing in the shed you have to run to avoid being impregnated with the exhaust gases from the... well the exhaust.

I'm about 500km into the tank of GTL and i can already tell some things.

1. I have a dashdyno setup that keeps track of data points from the engine. And since using the GTL fuel i've had no soot burning cycles happen.
2. The engine uses a bit more fuel at mid/high rpm and seems to use less when running low rpm (possible explanation: Burn rate is slower?)
3. Less knocking noise when cold and easier start. Does it start to burn easier? Could that also explain 3? I guess it could because less fuel is in the cilinder when it starts to burn and so your uncontrolled burn is less.
4. No, and i can't emphasize this enough: NO smell and or soot from the exhaust. This surpriced me and my collegues we've taken turns smelling the exhaust pipe e.t.c. it's wonderfull.

Now i know the GTL diesel has more energy per kg than diesel but it's density is lower so per liter you have less energy available. And since we've got volumetric control on our fuel this limits the maximum power we have available. (So it's less)

I wonder how the Track will handle it. So pretty soon i'll try and empty all the diesel from it. And give it some GTL.

Has anyone else tried GTL in their bikes/car/engines?
Eddy Wane

Re: GTL Diesel (Gas to liquid)

Post by Eddy Wane »

Hi Bert.
Here in the UK we have Shell V-Power which is probably the same stuff. I normally use Supermarket fuel (cheap) (ish). The diesel guy who works near me recommends using the better fuel at least once every couple of months. Or do not use the cheaper stuff at all. His reason being that modern injectors have very small nozzle jets of 3 microns and cheap fuel can be a problem with the injector because of impurities in the fuel. As you say it does burn better and gives more MPG. Your Track may have the newer injectors in or the normal 6 micron hole size, it being a car engine. The other industrial engine bikes have injectors that will tolerate rubbish fuel to some extent and using the better fuel may not be desirable.
Eddy.
Building the bike. Top of my list, bottom of the wife's.
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

Don't think GTL is yet available in the UK although Shell appear to be on the verge of doing so.
V power is not GTL.
With the UK about to hammer diesels on road tax and some cities making it difficult to run a diesel they may be on the way out?
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

The closest thing we have in the USA is Propel's Diesel HPR that is Biodiesel made from animal fat/oil. http://www.dieselhpr.com/
Right now they are only in California but I was able to use a few tanks of it last time I was there. It definitely burned much cleaner and stronger than diesel but without the overpowering "fry" smell of vegetable based biodiesel. If I had a place to store it, I would jump at hauling a pair of 300gallon totes of it out here to Denver to use daily.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

The UK seems determined to outlaw diesel cars in cities and other areas of high pollution so cars at least may be on the way out.
Trouble is they get taxed off the road with daily fees to enter cities.
Fortunately in the UK bikes are not tested for emissions so 2 strokes and diesels are ok (for the moment)
I just wish the govt. and powers that be would look at new technology such as the GTL fuel before blanket banning things.
Dan J

Post by Dan J »

UK V-Power from Shell apparently contains GTL though in what proportion is anyone's guess as Shell didn't release that information.

Out of interest Bert (and for the next time I'm in the Netherlands) is GTL easy to find there? Is there a specific fuel company (like Shell) that is selling it? I'd be most interested to try the car with a tank of it.
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere
BertTrack

Post by BertTrack »

Dan there is a regular fuel station brand Tinq that has it. It's not too far from my place so i go there with the car. I'll bring some extra to the UK meet just in case someone wants to have a go.
Dan J

Post by Dan J »

Thanks Bert. I don't suppose you can manage 50 litres can you? :mrgreen:
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere
plukenannabel
I don't post much...

Post by plukenannabel »

we have gtl in the place of holland i live as well. Wil try it in my track as soon as the tank ran out en the roads are clean of salt.
BertTrack

Post by BertTrack »

I have recently had to refuel the Track. And i put another load of GTL in it. So those last movies are basically 100% of that stuff. Doesn't smoke at all even when starting cold. Maybe it's a little less power (should be considering fuel energy numbers) but i can't use all the power it's got anyway.
BertTrack

Post by BertTrack »

I'm cancelling all tests with GTL after the gasket on the tank failed and i heared results from a rental company that started using GTL in their small lift equipment.

They're getting too many repairs in on the small diesels using GTL.