The biginning of the heap of crap

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

the grinch
I luv the smell of Diesel...

The biginning of the heap of crap

Post by the grinch »

Ok i have officaily started sort of.
my criteria
1 Crap bike.
2 stinking of diesel.
3 horrible to look at.
4 cheep.
5 cold morning big cloud of smoke lots of Knocking wake up neighbours.
6 going have sidecar for the dog to go in and i can run on car tyres too.

in the beginning there was a MK5 ford fiesta 1.8 Turbo diesel for £60. ok its got some flaws fly by wire pump cant be that hard. spent few hrs working out the wiring from the pump to the ecu all done 2 wires left to work out sh*t the dreaded PATS.OK i worked out that the ecu controled the earths to engine control relay so forget about the pats i can just switch it on cant i ? so i wired it all up big smiles cocky grin robinsons bottle of fuel cranked her up battery was a bit flat not starting. Bugger charged battery made a suitable fuel tank more big smiles and a cocky grin treid another time not havin it. Ok crack of an injector try again got fuel yeah f%$k the PATS but it still wont fuckin start. Maybe heater plugs bit of wire will do the trick straight to the battery no it still wont fuckin start. went home looked up fuel pump not happy turns out that it will be coded and i dont want all the extra sh*t for the PATS need enough wiring as it is anyway. So i got to get a older pump :cry: . I looked on ebay going to be arround £80 i can build most of the frame for that. So i gave up will worry about it again. I went on ebay later for somthing else f%$k me there is a pump in the sugested items £5 i bet that fucker will go up had a look it was going in less than an hr . Im going to wait in and win this :D 20 mins to go the fuckin fone rings Dad can you come and pick me up takes about 15 mins normally thinking its going to be close and i realy want this pump but i might miss it then f%$k i just remembered i have got about enough fuel left to get fuel only. now i will have to put a high bid on hope for the best. Bet some fucker bids me up. I got my son and got some fuel came home i only won the fucker for £5 what a result. so if yo see a fuckin idiot riding a chopper down the M4 in the pissing rain that will mbe me later.
I proberbaly wont get to do anymore for a few weeks due to work but hopefully i will get the pump on and get it running. i may be able to flog the other pump and bits on get a bit of cash back for the build. but at least it will be a start of a slow build. :D
klondikekid

Re: The biginning of the heap of crap

Post by klondikekid »

tumblr_n1ttjoIcpC1s71cxio1_500.jpg
Sounds like your on the right track.
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

It is alive :lol: :D
Ok so i went and got my pump had a good ride out in the process.Turns out it needed an ECU as it has a fuel meetering solinoid on it so I started poking arround on the internet and made a major find for my build. I found the last piece of the puzzle of the engine wiring. I have now got a RUNNING engine. when i have proven the wiring i will post the pin out. I was on the right track before i have but i thought the fuse box had part of the imobiliser in it. I only needed the engine ECU wiring and the transponder ring and the key i have yet to sort out wiring for the warning lights but i already know pins for glowplug and mil lights just need alternator and oil now.But needless to say i am now a very happy bunny. I must finish my sons bike now as i want to get on with it.

Alex
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

Ok I have now finished Ed's bike. I have started the project as of yesterday. I have been gathering parts from all over on my bike and i have had a few strange looks along the way.
but I have now got most of what I need to start.
I have started with the best bit had a good afternoon with the grinder I have cut the headstock from the frame that I had in the garage.
I have been scraping around looking for stuff to build the frame with I have done quite well. I have got enough to make the frame but I will have to part with some cash soon as I need some 8-10mm plate but i will try the scrap yard up the road first as I think it will be about £50 for new. I am keeping to my budget so far £0 as i have sold some of the car parts and I am still in credit :D . This weekend I want to get most of the frame parts cut ready to be assembeled. I am aiming for a rolling chassis by end of march hopefully but i have to make everything.The frame is offically the start of it for me now. :D

Parts that I will be using so far
rear hub - rear drum brake from car bolt on
rear wheel - modified car wheel and tyre 15"
front wheel - rear wheel off bike 17" as it came with everything including tyre.
fiesta 1.8TDDI engine and gearbox
drive to rear wheel - MF35 PTO belt drive gear.
forks ? heavy duty springers I have got to make them.
Frame - reclaimed 40mm box section and some 100X50 that I had in the garage.
Attachments
IMG_20161228_160637.jpg
IMG_20161228_150924.jpg
IMG_20161228_145428.jpg
IMG_20161228_143258.jpg
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Please go Steam Punk. :mrgreen:
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

Slow progress
I have been busy at work but I have started on the frame i have everything that I need now but it is taking time. I dont have a jig so I have to make everything in stages and keep checking allignment. I am having to make the Hub attachment at the moment but it involves quite a bit of thinking and I have to make the wheel fit everything that I have. I think that I will be spending some more time digging through the metal skip at work for the perfect bit as I dont want to spend any money I have had to spend £50 for some material for the forks and the rear of the frame but I sold a few more bits from the car that has covered it. That will be it for a while as I am busy at work but I will keep plodding on to get this next part finished so that I can complete the frame. I hope to have the frame completed by march ready to make all the engine mounts. :D
Attachments
IMG_20170130_143836.jpg
IMG_20170130_143824.jpg
IMG_20170124_213905.jpg
IMG_20170124_213855.jpg
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Nice.

I like your helmet stand.
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

It’s been a while but I’m back on track now I have been busy at work. I have not had much time and no time to get on with the bike. I had made most of the frame but I could not finish it until I had modified the wheel I have or bought a wheel to fit the hub. I found a wheel for £5 while I was looking for something else and the bloke worked in Abingdon so I got him to take it to work. I picked it up on Friday. I have been measuring everything up and am now ready to get it started. So I run a car club on Tuesday on the camp so I spent most of the evening sorting out what I needed to make a boss for the car hub to bolt on. The lads finished early so I thought I would just tack everything up I ended up texting missis will be late and I got it all welded drilled and still got home just before midnight . I had some spare time yesterday so I thought I would have another go I did a few more welds and I ended up tacking the rear of the frame and mounting the wheel and the hub .I will be trying to get some more done over the weekend to put some more frame pieces in. Here are a few photos up to now. :D
Attachments
IMG_20170224_203208.jpg
IMG_20170224_203200.jpg
IMG_20170224_203154.jpg
IMG_20170224_203132.jpg
IMG_20170222_203545.jpg
IMG_20170222_203632.jpg
IMG_20170222_203623.jpg
IMG_20170222_203552.jpg
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

This is going to be a beast of a machine...

Honda VT600 C Shadow
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

Getting there,
Done some more today all welded up now no photo's going see if I can get the engine in the hole this week. will put some photos up when its in the hole.
hopfully I will be making engine mounts tuesday. :D
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

Well I have got the engine in the frame I still need the engine mounts but it’s in place I will make some mounts up tomorrow. It was not too bad to get in a little bit of planning I cut some 2” box section and made a pair of rails and 2 blocks between the frame rails it just slid in. Things are going far too smoothly I am expecting a problem to arise. :D
Attachments
IMG_20170227_153352.jpg
IMG_20170227_153401.jpg
IMG_20170227_153334.jpg
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

I have had a productive week in my spare time. My bike is coming along I have made some crude mounts for the engine although they are not finished yet. I may have to re-make the front mount with a bit thicker steel. But it is in all bolted down with a gap around everything. I thought I had come across a problem with my drive plans but I managed to find the part I needed it is on its way. I have ordered some bronze bushes for my fork pivots. I still have not decided on the design but I think the flintstones will be a good place to start. Next I will probably be making a seat for it. I want a vintage tractor type seat but don’t want to spend the money to buy it so I will have to make it. This will give me more time to think about forks. :D
Attachments
IMG_20170305_115155.jpg
IMG_20170305_113333.jpg
IMG_20170305_113314.jpg
IMG_20170305_113301.jpg
IMG_20170305_113236.jpg
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

I was about to inquire as to the mounting of the pump for actuating the hydraulic outriggers, and then I read #6 in your first post. Looks like you're well on your way to accomplishing numbers 1-6. And having a good time of it.
Ron
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

I was thinking of carrying a farm jack just in case but I think if the sidecar is heavy enough it will all be ok :lol:
gearhead1951

Post by gearhead1951 »

Since you are still not sure of what front end you want , may I suggest you look into the "Hossack" design ? Google it and see if it would work for you , very different and a very good functional design !!
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

As it will be a heavy outfit some sort of leading link fork would be the way to go.
At least that way if you find you have to alter the trail it will be relatively easy to do that.
Considering you only started at the beginning of Nov 2016 a lot has been done.
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

Not enough time for the build past couple of weeks but I have made a little progress I have thrown together a seat and started lookin into the driveshaft. I have decided to make a sort of springer front end. I have had big problems with my choice of steel for the bottom yoke I went for some 20mm x100mm plate I had been saving for the scrap man. It is plenty man enough but cutting the 30mm hole for the stem proved to be quite a problem. It took 2 attempts and 4 holesaws. I still have a fair few hours left on both yokes before I can make the rest of the forks. I have decided to use the fiesta rear struts for the front suspension. I have some bronze bushes for the main pivot. My main aim is to have the forks done end of the month. I have to work it all out and do the drawings today but I am hoping to be starting assembling the forks this week. I will post some photos when I have made some more progress. :D
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

I done a bit last night I have roughly made my rockers for the forks and I have rough pair yokes.I still need to finish everything off but I think I will have my forks mocked up and finished sooner than I had planned. The car struts will be the quickest route and I don’t need to buy any bushes I will have a bit of a fiddle with the top mounts but I think it is going to be achievable. :D
Attachments
20170321_224820.jpg
20170321_225012.jpg
20170321_224712.jpg
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I really like your approach to building a bike, and that your build is going very fast at the moment!
You are doing it much like the way I built my last few bikes which include a 1900cc VW engine in a Dnepr frame that cost me naff all to make.

Can I ask if you've considered how to work the gears and clutch?
Kubota Z482 which is plodding on with unnerving reliability. Three years so far.
1900 Diesel Bike being rebuilt with better clutch control.
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

Forks
Ok I have been busy at work but I managed to get a bit of bike time in the evenings as some lads needed to do some cars, I finished the filling to get everything where I am happy. I am never going to get it perfect I know but as long as I can split a mm as small as possible that will do for me near enough is good enough. Forks have been quite a challenge but I mocked up and tack welded re checked my measurements then welded everything up. I am not interested in good looks as long as it is cheap and it works that will do. The car struts are going to save time as well as money I just have to mount them. My trail has worked out at just under 3” I wanted between 2” and 4” as this seemed to be the figure I could find for a side car outfit. I will need to put a brace under the bottom yoke I think there is quite a lenght of fork underneath I think it's better to beef it up than have to much flex. I will have room for 2 7” headlamps above the struts I have seen some at the bottom of the scrap skip so they will do for me I will find an excuse to empty it today and retrieve them.
Clutch well it is hydraulic going into the bell housing I have the master cylinder from the car it’s not that big I was thinking of a foot clutch maybe with a cable to control some sort of valve so I can put my foot down if needed. I’m thinking for the first test / death ride as it won’t have the side car to keep it up otherwise. As for the gears mouse I have still got to work that out but I have something in mind. The rod going into the gearbox has to go in and out to select gears as well as turn a bit to select the other set. I will probably use a rod to turn and a simple pivot to do the in and out bit. I have a 450 mile round day trip on my chopper to do soon If I haven’t sorted it by then I will have worked it out by the time I get back I do a lot of thinking on my road trips. I try not to start anything without being sure in my mind it will work I have limited time if I plan everything well I can get it done quicker. :D
Attachments
20170328_220159.jpg
20170328_220058.jpg
20170328_220025.jpg
20170327_224147.jpg
20170327_221758.jpg
20170327_221748.jpg
20170327_221609.jpg
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Hot damn, the headway you're making on this is ridiculous...

Honda VT600 C Shadow
gearhead1951

Post by gearhead1951 »

I saw a man in VA use the telescoping front suspension from an expensive BMX type bicycle in the same way on a 500cc Honda single !

Worked very well !!
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

I have started the mount for the struts it was fairly straight forward the hardest part was cutting the plate I have to tidy them up but I have offered them up and they look ok. I will try to weld them in place sometime this weekend. I have the bottom mount to make but that will be ok I will probably use some angle iron and a bit of plate. Hopefully it won’t be long now and it will be rolling. :D :D :D :D
Attachments
20170331_173848.jpg
20170331_173829.jpg
20170331_172949.jpg
20170331_172831.jpg
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

It’s rolling :D :D :D :D
I have welded the top mounts and made the bottom mounts all welded up and put together. I had a bit of a job with the top mount and I had to put a brace in the forks as it pulled in about an inch as it was welded but I jacked it all out with a piece of threaded bar and put the brace in it has worked ok. I thought I would have an issue with the wheel spindle due to this but in the end everything came out ok the spindle went straight in. It is sitting level on the springs I was surprised as I didn’t measure that bit. I could compress a strut it about 1.5” with my weight so I thought 4” then it was just convenient that it went under the bottom yoke. Next I am going to do the gussets and strengthen the top of the frame by the neck. :D
Attachments
20170404_220654.jpg
20170404_220201.jpg
20170404_220135.jpg
20170404_220125.jpg
20170404_220110.jpg
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

I have got a bit more done i strengthened the neck , finished off the top fork mounts I just have to put a pinch bolt for the head bearing adjustment and a piece of flat across the front . It is still going a bit slow I am not getting enough time on it but as long as I make a little progress each time it’s better than nothing. I want to be finished the mock up before end of June I still have to weld some gussets around the frame before I strip it down. I have put the seat in place. I intend to house all the electrics and clutch mechanism underneath it. I have an air spring to go under the seat. I made a rough set of handlebars for the initial fitting. I have worked out roughly where the footrests will go feels ok I thought I may need to move the turbo but I think its ok now everything is coming together. The fuel tank will be my next bit to do it won’t be very big 2-3 gallon will do as I will be having a Jerry can for the main fuel tank by the rear wheel. I think I may be able to cheat a bit as I have a CB250 dream tank in the garage that I have been saving for a project or I will make it from scratch whatever is quickest but I will make that call when I get to it. I have a lot on now at work and also I am helping wife break a horse so it may be some time before I update but as soon as I can I will be on again as I can’t afford the project to stall due to my deadline to be on the road for ride to the wall this year. :D :D
Attachments
20170418_224907.jpg
20170418_215513.jpg
20170418_215439.jpg
20170418_215525.jpg
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

I managed to get a bit done. I have started work the tank I want to get all the tank fabrication work done over the next 2 weeks. I have made a plywood form to build it around took a bit of time but it is worth the effort to get the tank done. I have started to cut out some steel out hope to start welding it this week.
Attachments
IMG_20170512_153858.jpg
IMG_20170512_153907.jpg
IMG_20170512_153916.jpg
IMG_20170512_165154.jpg
IMG_20170512_165204.jpg
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

I'm very interested to see how this tank build goes. :)
Kubota Z482 which is plodding on with unnerving reliability. Three years so far.
1900 Diesel Bike being rebuilt with better clutch control.
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

I have started filling up the gaps in the tank it is going well so far just need to make a paper template cut 2 pieces check fit get it as close as posible and thats it. This is the first time I have used the plywood form like this. The last time I made a tank for my son’s bike I just made a form for both sides and filled in the middle. But this is a far better approach so far. I hope to get it all done by the end of the month. I have to make the tunnel and work out the mountings. I have a sender unit and will be putting some fittings for banjo bolts for the fuel lines. I will be welding it up with MIG using 0.6mm wire as this seems to be better for tanks. I have an old Cebora 130 for this special occasion. I prefer this for tanks as it gets into all the tight spots.:D
Attachments
IMG_20170516_211024.jpg
IMG_20170516_213249.jpg
IMG_20170516_223647.jpg
IMG_20170516_224715.jpg
IMG_20170516_224721.jpg
IMG_20170516_225930.jpg
IMG_20170516_225937.jpg
IMG_20170517_151831.jpg
IMG_20170517_165904.jpg
IMG_20170517_170056.jpg
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

Just a word on legalities. I presume as it is a scratch built machine it will need an MSVA or IVA of some sort?
If you are welding on a sidecar it will be tested/ registered as a trike.
If the sidecar is not permanently attached it will be a motorcycle/sidecar so may escape some of the regs. with trikes.
Don't know if it will ride ok as a solo motorcycle but worth thinking about.
You could weld on brackets to the frame so that a sidecar could be bolted on securely but still removable?
It can also make future MOT's easier as not everywhere can test trikes or sidecars.
the grinch

Post by the grinch »

I want to run a car tyre on the back because I'm tight therfore I need to put a sidecar on it for the test and the sidecar will be bolted to the frame. I probably will run it without the sidecar at least 1 time :lol: wait to see my plan for getting it ballanced. but can't do that until everything else is done. :D :D