Hey from Chicagoland

Where members can post their photos, interests, and other personal information.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

cheesy
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Hey from Chicagoland

Post by cheesy »

cheesy, aka Mike, here from Ill-annoy.
I've been kicking around the idea of building a diesel powered bike for some time now and the opportunity may have inadvertently presented itself. The outfit I work for decided to scrap a Lombardini 15 LD315 engine with less than three hours on it. I know the hours because I put them there. I had the guys scrap it right into the back of my pickup. So, I have a power plant.
While researching the 'How-To', I found this place and have done some reading. I'm now searching halfheartedly for a rolling frame with a title. Halfheartedly, because I have a few projects in front of it. And a no title frame in Ill-annoy is a legal, time consuming, and financial headache. I know from past experience.
I'm thinking something in the 250/350 size range for a frame and a CVT setup. My experience with CVT drives is very limited owing to the fact that it has been about thirty five years since I popped the hood of a snowmobile. I'm sure they've come along way since then.

I'll be asking questions.

A bit about me. Grandpa to three. Number four is due any day now. Married for over 40 years to the girl I gave a ride home to on my Honda S90. Railroad equipment mechanic with a background in Automotive DC, hydraulics, pneumatics, welding, and machining. Been into bicycles since I could walk, have 15 in my garage. First motorcycle was a Ducati Falcon 50(worth a pretty penny now, if I still had it). Took a thirty year break from motorcycles when my oldest was born. My current stable consists of a 1979 Honda CX500 that I rescued from a cafe racer project gone bad and two Velosolex mopeds(see comment about titles). There's a mini bike project, too.

Family portrait.

I'll try not to be a pest.
Mike
2004 Lombardini 15LD315 looking for a steed
1979 Honda CX500
1977 VeloSolex 4600 V3
1973 VeloSolex 3800
2007 Ural Gear Up

"I don't even care about my problems, why should I care about yours?"-A quote on a favorite t-shirt
UAofE

Re: Hey from Chicagoland

Post by UAofE »

cheesy wrote:it has been about thirty five years since I popped the hood of a snowmobile. I'm sure they've come along way since then.
For small sizes, not at all. They are still crude, quality is iffy and not well suited to low RPM diesels.
I strongly suggest a conventional transmission. 5 or 6 speed if possible.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Greetings Cheesy. And welcome to the board. Sounds as though you've got all the prerequisites for such a project once a donor's secured. A good friend has a titled KZ400 with a bad engine he plans to sell, if that's of any interest. It would put you on par with John's little Land Speed Racer with regard to power and size.

https://www.dieselbikeforum.com/view ... 925#p11925

Sadly, I just parted with a Comet 40 series CVT. But, if you go the route our friend in Denver suggests, I've got some Enfield boxes lying about that I might be convinced to part with. The beauty of an Enfield box is that you can couple it to your engine with all the standard components from India readily available on the Bay of Fools. Might be a challenge to tuck all that into such a small frame, arguing instead for the CVT.

Not sure where you are in the Chicagoland area, but I'm just 2 hours from the loop.
Ron
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Welcome Mike :-)
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
cheesy

Post by cheesy »

Thanks for the welcome and the info, gents.

I have kicked around the idea of a tranny. Just don't know how to run with it yet. The CVT seems so simple, yet prone to failure if set up incorrectly. What to do, what to do?

I've got a 1967 Toro lawn tractor and a mini bike to finish up before I start the serious hunt for a frame. The Kaw does present possibilities, though. Also have a cast on my left foot that threw a wrench into everything this summer.

I'm the other side of the loop. 45 minutes on a Sunday morning. 90 minutes to two hours any other time. O'hare is about as close as I get to the city, if I can help it.
Mike
1979 Honda CX500
1977 VeloSolex 4600 V3
1973 VeloSolex 3800
2007 Ural Gear Up

"I don't even care about my problems, why should I care about yours?"-A quote on a favorite t-shirt
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Nice 'brace' of Solex' there; a 5000 and a 3800 myself.

We have a few ride outs in the summer

http://s301.photobucket.com/user/DaveWa ... sort=3&o=2
cheesy

Post by cheesy »

Diesel Dave wrote:Nice 'brace' of Solex' there; a 5000 and a 3800 myself.

We have a few ride outs in the summer

http://s301.photobucket.com/user/DaveWa ... sort=3&o=2
Ah, I thought your handle was familiar. I go by 'bikamper' on the VeloSolex UK forum.
Mike
1979 Honda CX500
1977 VeloSolex 4600 V3
1973 VeloSolex 3800
2007 Ural Gear Up

coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Welcome, from another 2wheeled diesel nut / not so distant neighbor
cheesy

Post by cheesy »

coachgeo wrote:Welcome, from another 2wheeled diesel nut / not so distant neighbor
Thanks. We're about 8 hours apart. On this side of pond, that's a day trip.
Mike
1979 Honda CX500
1977 VeloSolex 4600 V3
1973 VeloSolex 3800
2007 Ural Gear Up