newbie in scotland

Where members can post their photos, interests, and other personal information.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

vilguy
I don't post much...

newbie in scotland

Post by vilguy »

Hi there,

Ive been a long time fan of diesel bikes and finally have some space in my workshop to slip one in without the wife noticing (too much)

Ive already got a diesel quad (albiet its not very healthy at the minute having spat a rod through the crankcase of the winsun 840cc thats in it) and far too many landrovers etc kicking around (My wife has just asked me to build her a 110 csw but all tricked up)

Ive a spare 1150gs kicking about in the garage that could be converted to diesel as theres plenty of room for the engine to be replaced with something :)

Anyway just thought I would introduce myself as I had already asked a question in another section and realise it was quite rude not to say hi :oops:

diesel wise - im a big alternative fuel user - Previously making biodiesel but then I cant be bothered anymore so I just convert my diesels to twin tank and run straight SVO through them. My offroad stuff I tend to run on WMO as its much more energy dense and free (my favourite word)!

I really should start making bio again as we just bought a modern day ssangyong and im too scared to convert it to twin tank :roll:
WrickM
Been here a while now..

Re: newbie in scotland

Post by WrickM »

Nice to meet you. I have not had much luck running SVO/WVO through DI diesels, but my idi 6.9l ford had over 50k miles on used cooking oil before the three speed trans fell out.
vilguy
I don't post much...

Post by vilguy »

I was running my Kubota tractor on wvo quite succesfully and we had a polaris dbat which didnt mind it either.

I also run wmo which you have to be careful with when running with wvo also. The carbon particulates remaining in the oil precipitate out and form a hard as hell deposit and block the injectors.
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

I've run on straight veg oil, Bio and pump diesel.

However in a motorcycle that does around 150mpg, there's not enough benefit to warrant the downsides.

In general the lubricating oil turns to jelly, the injector needs regular rebuilding, and the pump only lasts about 20k due to the low lubricity of the fuel oil.

However nowt wrong with some experimentation - :D
vilguy
I don't post much...

Post by vilguy »

Thats why I prefer to run WMO wherever possible - I have had no issues in 7 years so far :) only when i mixed the wmo and svo in the same tank :oops:

WMO has a significantly higher energy density as well and have found vehicles to be considerably faster on it. My 110 defender will do 80 on normal derv but ive had 97 out of it on wmo!

Our polaris liked it but only after a few tanks had cleaned out the fuel system (the detergents in the oil clean out the system and flood the filter with all the crud thats collected so you need to change the filter a few times at first)

Need to get this 840cc winsun engine looked at this weekend so i can start ordering some bits to fix it. I reckon I can repair the crankcase (so long as its not some horrible manganese alloy...ive not checked) but havent stripped it to find out what damage the conrods done yet.
coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by coachgeo »

vilguy wrote:Thats why I prefer to run WMO wherever possible - I have had no issues in 7 years so far :) only when i mixed the wmo and svo in the same tank :oops:

WMO has a significantly higher energy density as well and have found vehicles to be considerably faster on it. My 110 defender will do 80 on normal derv but ive had 97 out of it on wmo!

Our polaris liked it but only after a few tanks had cleaned out the fuel system (the detergents in the oil clean out the system and flood the filter with all the crud thats collected so you need to change the filter a few times at first)

Need to get this 840cc winsun engine looked at this weekend so i can start ordering some bits to fix it. I reckon I can repair the crankcase (so long as its not some horrible manganese alloy...ive not checked) but havent stripped it to find out what damage the conrods done yet.
Problem with WMO is those detergents you speak of along with other chemical chains that do not get burned in combustion. Thus these leave the exhaust as far worse pollutants than legal diesel. WVO/SVO not so much so. Its pollutants are said to be less tame than Dino Diesel.
UAofE
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by UAofE »

coachgeo wrote:Problem with WMO is those detergents you speak of along with other chemical chains that do not get burned in combustion.
The abrasive soot in the oil is much worse. The accelerated injection system wear will exacerbate the already poor oil combustion quality.
Anyone who has worked with a so called "clean burn" WMO shop heater knows how much ash and carbon they produce in the burner chamber. So you really want that inside your expensive engine?

http://www.centralohioheaters.com/DSCN9535.JPG
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D