comet c40 replacement

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

womble
I'm pretty new here..

comet c40 replacement

Post by womble »

Hellooo, rite, been reading up about the cvt drives, and generally people are using the comet 40 kits for the yanmar and clone engines, I now have the 400cc type , approx 10 bhp, I have a friend going to America in a a few weeks , so opportunity is there to get a kit for me, while over there.
The comet 40 kit does not appear to be available now, so any suggestions as to what to go for? TAV2 is available , but will it do the job?

Womble :)
gilburton
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: comet c40 replacement

Post by gilburton »

Try here for info. They are still advertising C40 units?
http://www.geminikarts.co.uk/index.html
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

If you're unsussessful sourcing one in the UK, I do know of one that's avialable in the States. However, I should add that I can't vouch for the integrity of this particular seller. Some might consider him to be of questionable character. Especially my wife.

https://www.dieselbikeforum.com/view ... f=5&t=2723
Last edited by pietenpol2002 on Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron
womble
I'm pretty new here..

Post by womble »

Gemini karts are only showing separate parts, could do with a full kit me thinks, :lol:
Eddy Wane

Post by Eddy Wane »

I recently emailed Gemini about a suitable CVT for my intended build. The reply I got included a link to this page.

http://www.geminikarts.co.uk/files/come ... ssized.pdf

The Salisbury driving clutch comes in at £175 the driven is similarly priced then a belt on top of that the all up price is over £350 THEN you would have to bugger about with springs and rollers to get the units to operate effectively.
The Comet web site for any of the clutches it sells shows some intended uses but I have yet to find out what other machines use the items.
I do not think that I will be able to use the TAV2 as a reliable drive with a good service life (judging by other posts) but I stand corrected.
Building the bike. Top of my list, bottom of the wife's.
womble
I'm pretty new here..

Post by womble »

Thanks for that Eddy, it soon adds up, A friend Dougie is runnig the TAV2 I think ,but hes on a 300cc engine, Starts make you think a gearbox would still be a cheeper option. see what we can come up with :)
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

I fitted a French microcar cvt to my MZ but I found it a bit bulky although the parts were quite cheap.
I looked at gearboxes but the main problem was getting a Brit bike one cheap enough and even then most seem to be sold without clutch etc. so that would also have to be sourced!!
The other route is cutting a gearbox from a jap bike but the main problem there is that most are gear driven and run in oil so you have that problem to overcome although small engines have been used complete by removing the cylinder etc and using the crank to take the drive from the diesel engine.
A lot depends on how much room you have between the Diesel engine/swinging arm.
By saying you want a "kit" I presume you mean the whole thing inc. cover.
I'm not sure if the 40 series was sold as a complete kit??
Unfortunately this side of the Atlantic these cvt's are fairly scarce. I even had to get a 3/4" jackshaft for mine from the US as over here they are not on the shelf and you seem to have to get one made??
I also considered using a scooter cvt as these are plentifull BUT,as no doubt someone would point out, these are meant for higher revs than the diesel will supply.
However I did consider making a small jackshaft arrangement BEFORE the cvt to increase input by making up a short 2-1 gearing to double the output revs of the diesel??
There are a massive amount of springs/weights available for popular scooters so with a bit of playing around??
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

womble
I'm pretty new here..

Post by womble »

Would loved to have used the Axim(?) engine and cvt, but seem to have gone up to silly prices.

The question is , will TAV2 actually work ok with the power of the 400cc Yanmar clone ? 10+ bhp

Womble
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

The ebay one is a 3/4" drive so I suspect it might not fit your engine shaft??
There is a dealer in Wisbech who breaks microcars but the pulley is tapered.
I had a Robin engine where the drive flange is not part of the crank so I had this turned down to fit.
I know the Chinese clones come in taper or straight shaft but I don't know if the taper is the same?? Only problem is it's part of the crank so to change it means a complete crank!!
All I can say is as the diesel Aixam engine revs are much the same as the smaller diesel engines it worked!!
Here is a link but you will need the long bolt through the centre(in picture) and the small tapered flange(just in case) and the rear pulley and belt(if in good condition)
The easiest option is to get hold of a cheap complete car and use the engine/cvt then sell the combined gearbox/diff/reverse and the rest of the car and you will get most of your money back.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MICROCAR-MC1- ... 20e2e0bbf9
tony g
I'm pretty new here..

Post by tony g »

Hi womble i have seen your post for comet 40 series on forum have you got fixed up with a set if not i have just posted add on classified section
If you are still after a set give me a call

Tony G