Importance of rev counter

Rev Counters, Speedo's, etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

sbrumby
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Importance of rev counter

Post by sbrumby »

Finally got around to fixing the small oil leak on the Yanmar L60. Got the correct seal which i pressume is the same as the L100 and all the clones. And for those that are interested the govenor shaft from the inside has a steel washer then 2 needle roller bearings then this very small oil seal, part No(114770-61600)then this nylon or plastic top hat washer that i had to reduce in length to allow enough room for the seal. Which i dont understand but it seems to have worked.
After getting it all back together i decided to check the revs on the engine, with a hand held rev counter and found it was only getting to 3000rpm. Now bear in mind that the bike only ever got to 40mph. So i attached the main spring on the throttle to govenor shaft on the next set of holes. Straight up to 3900rpm. Would have tried the bike out but the weather has been bad up to today, so i set about fitting a rev counter.
Photo0126.jpg
Photo0127.jpg
Had a bit of a job finding a rev counter that would fit in the space where the superdream mechanical rev counter was but the triumph one just managed to get in the space. Making a bracket for the prox switch was the easy bit. Anyway tried it out today and the bike gets to 50mph. So quit an increase.
Sam
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Re: Importance of rev counter

Post by alexanderfoti »

very nice! Nice easy increase in speed! I have a universal vdo tach that redlines at 4k
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I envy you having a supply of parts near to hand there Sam :)
Neither Dieselbike here has a rev counter :(
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Are you getting 50 mph out of the L60?
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

Yes 50mph but that is the maximum but not sustainable on the flat, but i would think 40mph on the flat is now realistic but this was my previous maximum speed.
Sam
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

sbrumby wrote:Yes 50mph but that is the maximum but not sustainable on the flat, but i would think 40mph on the flat is now realistic but this was my previous maximum speed.
I was going to say, very impressive! Mine is geared for 56mph and can keep that up on level ground but that's max speed!
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

56mph is a very good speed as all the trucks are governed to that. Go faster than that and you spend alot of time overtaking dodgeing lanes on the motorway, any slower and you are constantly being overtaken.
Sam
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

sbrumby wrote:56mph is a very good speed as all the trucks are governed to that. Go faster than that and you spend alot of time overtaking dodgeing lanes on the motorway, any slower and you are constantly being overtaken.
Very true! Although I try and avoid motorways on the old diesel bike! Got stuck on the M4 once and that was no fun.