2014 rally

Talk about riding, events, meets, rally's, etc...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

sbrumby
I luv the smell of Diesel...

2014 rally

Post by sbrumby »

I would like to start a debate on the timing of the international rally. First let me say thanks to Stuart for the write up of the 2013 rally. That said I would like to know did anybody ask Rafael if it could not be moved a month earlier?
I have asked this question a few times before and not got an answer. For me 1000miles and 4 days ride + a ferry is not a goer for basically a 2 day rally. Especially in September you can more or less bank on hitting bad weather.
Also as we all live in the northern hemisphere the daylight hours are very restricted at this time of year. I am quite sure the rally would be far better attended if a month earlier people could combine the rally with touring in europe
me for one. I would like coments on this, and if the German rally cant be moved why cant another one be set up in another country nearer holiday time. Also Stu you should consider the English rally not clashing with the I O Man as some people might like to go to both.
Sam
Stuart
Site Admin

Re: 2014 rally

Post by Stuart »

I think maybe a lot of people have family holidays in August and that may hit rally numbers?
I know the weather stats for the International rally dates were gone over with (to use the expression) a 'fine tooth comb'. We've only had rain at two rally's I think, and it's never lasted long.
I know it maybe a long way for a two day rally but we always make a small holiday of the whole thing, arriving Thursday & leaving Sunday, with the aim of visiting places we've not seen before. It makes a real trip of it and tests the bikes to extreme.
The U.K. date (1st June weekend) was done to coincide with the first real day of summer & we've done pretty well so far. One week earlier & we clash with bank holiday weekend which restricts us & we can't or couldn't us the Bat & Ball then. One week later and the rain comes in usually for Wimbledon :)
It's not ideal clashing with the TT but that's speed orientated & doesn't always concern everyone who visits us.
I know we've also been criticized for holding our bash in the South East. When the International rally was held in the far North of Germany numbers were down. It improved drastically when moved central & westerly. Riders just can't always make these rallies if they don't at least try and be a bit convenient for all.
At the end of the day it's a weighing up of all the elements to achieve a result of some kind. Nothing's perfect but attendance numbers, especially in the U.K. have slowly increased, year on year.
That's my two pennies worth on the debate :)
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

A couple of points most people take holidays in August but not the whole of August. If the rally stays the same date I know I will never go again. Although I would like to. You also miss the point if you think the I O Mann is for speed alone, probably more clasic bikes will attend than at any other rally. You even said yourself, your first diesel bike that was sold to a mann that always went to I O Mann, you would never see at the Bat & Ball. Rallies are held virtually all year round but the ones held in autum / winter are not the big ones and are not well attended. The German rally held in September, you might be lucky with the weather but the chances are against.
Sam
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Yes Sam, rightly or wrongly, I've said those things.
I can't think of anything bigger to go up against than the IOM TT though can you? We're an alternative motorcycle rally after all :)
I'll certainly listen to everyone if they really want the dates changed but advise all to consider the weather, family holiday season etc.
To be honest, I have enough nightmares worrying about everything else that goes along with rally organising. Everything from there being enough toilet rolls to being sued over an accident on a declared ride out. Insurance, riders allergic to others dogs, sat navs sending people to the wrong entrances, bars shutting unexpectedly early & having to throw dodgy rally tramps off the site :)
This is the place to post your views chaps :)
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

I am not getting at your abillity to organise a rally i am sure eyerybody will agree you do a great job. I mearly mentioned the Engilsh rally clashing with the I O Mann , so a 1 week move would allow people to go to both. The main point was the German rally. Being daft here but move the English rally to the 3rd week in September and see how many Germans come over.
Sam
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

I agree with you Sam about the German rally. For me it is two days riding with an overnight stop each way minimum. In the past I have had ice on my tent on the way up and cold and rain during the rally. So these days I get ready for it but check out the weather for a 7 day window over quite a lot of territory just a day or two before the rally. Hasn't been enticing for 2-3 years. It may well be soon if start travelling by car instead of by bike. It is much easier for many reasons.
For me I would like to use the German rally as a stopping place on the way back from longer ride. Like I did when I visited Poland to see the "Flytrap" via Italy, Austria and Czech republic. September is just too late in the season and the weather is just too unpredictable. It would be different in a car, or if I travelled with companions, but long days alone in the rain can get dispiriting eg through Austria and southern Germany and half of Czech rep was tedious and I reverted to using hotels.

The UK rally timing wise is ok because I don't have enough interest to want to go to IOM TT. what is my biggest concern is the ferries as I live far west and it makes sense to use St Malo or Caen to Portsmouth. If I take an over night cabin It gives me all day to cover the 300 miles to/from the ferry port.

For me the important thing is the journey and the destination is secondary. I suspect my next trips will be due south into Spain, Portugal and maybe even Morocco.
Larry
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

The Royal Enfield Rally is usually on the bank holiday weekend before us and we often get guys coming over and doing both events. Just another thing to consider :)
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

Thank god for Larry, I thought I was going to be a lone voice. Dont spend to much time debating over the English rally, only a minor point about I O Mann. Basically fine and in a hot pat of the year , good bet on weather and plenty of daylight hours.
German rally diferent thing alltogether.
Sam
rednorfolk

Post by rednorfolk »

The timing of the english diesel bike do is just about the rite time for me. I have stoped going to the uther bike/biker tipe do's. Thay just don't have the feel of the diesel bike rally.I have sutch fun just going to the rally.diesel bike and sidecar a c90 and a german diesel bike . Grate fun. I spend 5 days having a good time at a traditional and safe rally with lots of nice friendly people..............and the new site is fab. :D
Royal Enfield 406cc diesel.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Glad you enjoy the UK rally mate. I found collecting camping fees detracted from being able to have a good chat with everyone. Lots saying they prefer Bat & Ball as year has rolled on. There is already another bike rally booked in at the pub for next year so who knows, maybe we might join them? I'm told the pub is supported by the sister pub now. They only do pizza though but have decent showers & toilets back.

I guess questions about Hamm timing should go to Dieselkrad.
rednorfolk

Post by rednorfolk »

If we all go to the bat n ball I don't mind:-) as long as we have good time:-) :D the bigknock is good fun come on big knock 2014 !!!!!!!!!!
[/b]
Royal Enfield 406cc diesel.