Bleedin brake bleeders.

Topics concerning those circular things and how to stop them..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Anorak_ian
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Bleedin brake bleeders.

Post by Anorak_ian »

My front disc brake has seen better days, so I decided to change the pads and give the master cylinder and calliper a strip down and re build.
The thought of pumping and opening and closing the bleed nipple, sent me to Halfrauds to get a bleeder.
£10 you got to be joking right? I got it anyway, and it didn't work. I took a look inside, to see a ball bearing and a spring. The ball bearing didn't seal, as the manufacture was bloody awful. Two chunks of swarf where the drill hadn't finished cutting the hole.
I got my tenner back, and thought I'd do the job the old fashioned way. Then I looked around the man cave for some inspiration.
My eyes fell on a pump spray bottle, this is what I did:
Take the pump off the bottle, fit a shrink-wrap tube to the bottom of the pump tube, and fit a 1metre plus flexible tube over the shrink-wrap and the other end over the bleed nipple.
Feed the brake some fluid, then pump the bottle top, watch the fluid travel rapidly up the flexible tubing with hardly any air bubbles. Done in a jiffy.

The 1 metre plus pipe causes a constant vacuum because it’s flexible (un like the brake parts), so sucking down the fluid. :lol:

This now takes pride of place in my tool chest :D

sbrumby
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Bleedin brake bleeders.

Post by sbrumby »

Good idea, well thought out. I did it slightly differently so I could service the cylinders and seals off the bike. I made a small stand with an upright tube attached to that a clip on handlebar onto that a front brake lever with reservior. This attached to the bleed nipple allows to bleed backwards, bubbles travel uphill easier. Off the bike it allows the removal of pistons which is not easy when you have 4 per brake.
Sam