Front forks

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

sbrumby
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Front forks

Post by sbrumby »

Went to a rally at the weekend and got talking to a guy that had spotted my front oil seal was leaking. It had been leaking for some time but as I had replaced them twice before I had lost a bit of interest. He asked me if I had uprated the springs since fitting the diesel engine and I admitted I had never given it a thought and nobody else had mentioned it. He had a good knowledge on forks and said I should get uprated springs or shim the original springs. So today I replaced the oil seal and shimmed up the springs on both sides by 1", also replaced the fork oil with hydraulic oil. The forks on my bike are different from each other, the right one does rebound adjustment and the left one does anti dive adjustment. Anyway it is worth considering or at the very least weigh the bike on the front wheel before and after conversion.
Sam
OilyPhil
Been here a while now..

Re: Front forks

Post by OilyPhil »

I did a similar thing when I fitted a set of yamaha 250 forks to a 650 bsa a few years ago, I ended up getting a set of springs made 25% stronger than standard, I used a company called active springs in Studley, Warickshire, from memory they were quite cheap.

Phil