67 Triumph Bobber

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..

67 Triumph Bobber

Post by 07gtimyfast »

Hey folks, New to the forum here.

First I would like to say I attempted to register here a month ago but that "what bike is commonly used for conversion" question got me hung up. Until today when it hit me.. After seeing a few Royal Enfields I tried that one and here I am.

I started this project a month ago and it started a a 67 triumph bobber rolling chassis. I added motor mounts, jack shaft mounts and spacers, made a seat pan and hinge bracket, made the tank, made the tail/tag bracket, and wired her up.
photobucket-23319-1350500903017.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
8.jpg
7.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..

Re: 67 Triumph Bobber

Post by 07gtimyfast »

11.jpg
12.jpg

Video#1 motor running/testing in bike: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZenGV9Bjxk

Video#2 one of the first shake down runs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEYtIC-EIh0

Compilation/descriptive video to come this weekend.

I have ridden to work 3 days this week and it runs great!
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Hi & welcome to the forum :-)
Glad you made it on here o.k.
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..

Post by 07gtimyfast »

As promised a ride video with full description:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4_2YhXPiUM
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Ok I will delete the password chat from this thread & make it easier to guess. It can't be too easy though or it will compromise us too much.
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for posting the video Justin. Very much enjoyed that as you covered everything & showed how it rides too :-)
Don't forget that if you we're to write it up & provide pictures I could add it to the website as an article in its own right. That can be a more permanent display of you work. That goes for anyone else out there too :-)
Thanks again.
DieselFly
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by DieselFly »

Nice job Justin! The comet 40 clutch set really seems to be almost a perfect match with the 10hp engine. next you need a turbo :twisted:

Sean
Finished and riding 1975
CB500t Turbo Punsun powered
hardtail.
07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..

Post by 07gtimyfast »

DieselFly wrote:Nice job Justin! The comet 40 clutch set really seems to be almost a perfect match with the 10hp engine. next you need a turbo :twisted:

Sean
Thanks! yes the comet 40 series seems to be the perfect match for this engine. I'm actually watching radicalnegative's build pretty closely to see how his turbo build turns out. Right now the bike is a perfect commuter for me as it keeps up in the traffic I see daily. I have a 10 mile round trip commute so I'm looking at about a gallon of fuel every 2 weeks. I posted on the video but I did a mileage test and got 103 mpg in traffic with several stop and go red lights here in my area. Open road would be closer to 120+ I am thinking.
07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..

Post by 07gtimyfast »

Stuart wrote:Thanks for posting the video Justin. Very much enjoyed that as you covered everything & showed how it rides too :-)
Don't forget that if you we're to write it up & provide pictures I could add it to the website as an article in its own right. That can be a more permanent display of you work. That goes for anyone else out there too :-)
Thanks again.
What exactly would you be looking for as a write-up? Like a DIY complete step by step or just individual pictures with a description of what modifications I did on each picture?

I would like to help out of I can.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

07gtimyfast wrote:
Stuart wrote:.... Don't forget that if you we're to write it up & provide pictures I could add it to the website as an article in its own right. That can be a more permanent display of you work. That goes for anyone else out there too :-)
Thanks again.
What exactly would you be looking for as a write-up? Like a DIY complete step by step or just individual pictures with a description of what modifications I did on each picture?

go to http://dieselbike.net/ The last section on that page is "Private Diesel Motorcycles" Thats where your general write up would end up being put. Hit some links to get ideas on write up. To be honest most write ups in there are not so good cause they are second hand so if you do better.... we'ld all greately appreciate it.

In addition For "this forum" As detailed as your willing can only be forever helpfull. Each person will gleem something different from it and spark stimulating discussions that will live on for a long long time.

BTW... with your engine CVT combination what cruising speeds are you reaching? What weight and springs are you using in your CVT. Which Primary and Secondary clutch are you using? How'ld you decide on what weight and springs to use?
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I was thinking something along the lines of the top articles on this page: http://www.dieselbike.net/Articles/tech_articles.htm

We do sometimes take text & pictures from the forum & put them up to help others build bikes. It sometimes comes across better when individual posts are brought together. The more detail the better I think. Anything you could send me (via email on context page) would be appreciated :-)
07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..

Post by 07gtimyfast »

Stuart wrote:I was thinking something along the lines of the top articles on this page: http://www.dieselbike.net/Articles/tech_articles.htm

We do sometimes take text & pictures from the forum & put them up to help others build bikes. It sometimes comes across better when individual posts are brought together. The more detail the better I think. Anything you could send me (via email on context page) would be appreciated :-)
PM sent
07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..

Post by 07gtimyfast »

coachgeo wrote:
07gtimyfast wrote:
Stuart wrote:.... Don't forget that if you we're to write it up & provide pictures I could add it to the website as an article in its own right. That can be a more permanent display of you work. That goes for anyone else out there too :-)
Thanks again.

go to http://dieselbike.net/ The last section on that page is "Private Diesel Motorcycles" Thats where your general write up would end up being put. Hit some links to get ideas on write up. To be honest most write ups in there are not so good cause they are second hand so if you do better.... we'ld all greately appreciate it.

In addition For "this forum" As detailed as your willing can only be forever helpfull. Each person will gleem something different from it and spark stimulating discussions that will live on for a long long time.

BTW... with your engine CVT combination what cruising speeds are you reaching? What weight and springs are you using in your CVT. Which Primary and Secondary clutch are you using? How'ld you decide on what weight and springs to use?
top speed of around 60 down hill, flat land cruise speed between 50-55, up hill around 45, steep hills with no momentum going up I can slow down to around 40.

To be honest I used the springs and weights that came in the comet driver and driven. It worked well so I did not mess with it. I could take a look if you like. I have a few ideas for the steep hill slow down but like I said it really does the job well in my area.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

If I recall right those performance stats are typical for a 10hp bike no matter if it is with a Gearbox or CVT.

Did you order the comet stating in advance the parameters (power curve?) or anything about the engine it was to be be used with? Just wonder if whom you ordered it from preset up the primary and secondary based on the info you gave them.

For records sake though it would be good to know what color spring, weights etc. are used in the CVT setup.
DieselFly

Post by DieselFly »

Maybe I can shed some light on the clutch setup. Out of tyhe box all Comet 40's come with what they call the standard 4 cycle setup. The engagement is at 1600rpm and the driven has a red spring. This is setup for things like golf carts etc. And as it happens it is almost bang on for a 10hp diesel bike. They rate these clutches to 15hp. Here is the manual for the clutch
coachgeo wrote:If I recall right those performance stats are typical for a 10hp bike no matter if it is with a Gearbox or CVT.
http://www.gopowersports.com/Comet/40series.pdf

Sean
Did you order the comet stating in advance the parameters (power curve?) or anything about the engine it was to be be used with? Just wonder if whom you ordered it from preset up the primary and secondary based on the info you gave them.

For records sake though it would be good to know what color spring, weights etc. are used in the CVT setup.
Finished and riding 1975
hardtail.
07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..

Post by 07gtimyfast »

coachgeo wrote:If I recall right those performance stats are typical for a 10hp bike no matter if it is with a Gearbox or CVT.

I purchased the driver and driven separate, the driver came from Canada and the driven from somewhere in the Northeast US, both purchased on ebay. The driven has a red spring and the driver came with whatever a new one comes with. Neither were set-up by anyone that I know of.

Edit:
Not sure who all runs a comet belt but if anyone runs the 12 5/8" comet belt (203791) I found them on-sale for $10 each which is like 1/3 what they normally cost. Ordered 5 tonight so I will have spares for a while. website is bmikarts.com
07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..

Post by 07gtimyfast »

Ok so if running a belt drive either use some type of shroud or don't ride in the rain. That was a interesting ride home from work after getting caught in the rain. Any moisture on the belt and you are going nowhere fast. Just fyi.
DieselFly

Post by DieselFly »

Ya found that out the first time I washed mine. I do have a cover that seems okay in the rain. Just don't close it off tight the belt does need cooling airflow. Mine is open on the bottom and the inside.
07gtimyfast wrote:Ok so if running a belt drive either use some type of shroud or don't ride in the rain. That was a interesting ride home from work after getting caught in the rain. Any moisture on the belt and you are going nowhere fast. Just fyi.
Finished and riding 1975
hardtail.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

The ATV/UTV/RTV market is more and more going to closeing them off but have a snorkle fed air intake. These now even have their own air filter. Not sure what is air exhaust. built in air leaks or an exhaust snorkle too. Some tin folded into a cool bat wing or something cover-n-snorkle Im sure can be come up with :mrgreen:
DieselFly wrote:Ya found that out the first time I washed mine. I do have a cover that seems okay in the rain. Just don't close it off tight the belt does need cooling airflow. Mine is open on the bottom and the inside.
07gtimyfast wrote:Ok so if running a belt drive either use some type of shroud or don't ride in the rain. That was a interesting ride home from work after getting caught in the rain. Any moisture on the belt and you are going nowhere fast. Just fyi.
07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..

Post by 07gtimyfast »

coachgeo wrote:The ATV/UTV/RTV market is more and more going to closeing them off but have a snorkle fed air intake. These now even have their own air filter. Not sure what is air exhaust. built in air leaks or an exhaust snorkle too. Some tin folded into a cool bat wing or something cover-n-snorkle Im sure can be come up with :mrgreen:
DieselFly wrote:Ya found that out the first time I washed mine. I do have a cover that seems okay in the rain. Just don't close it off tight the belt does need cooling airflow. Mine is open on the bottom and the inside.
Yes I think I will just not ride in the rain, like the look of the open belt better but might make something to leave at work just encase I get caught it the rain again.

Also threw this video together and the question is... will it do a burnout? Watch and see :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_erjJNWpis
07gtimyfast
I'm pretty new here..

Post by 07gtimyfast »

Just wanted to give an update:
I have been riding almost every day since new years (minus rain days) with zero problems. The thing kicks off great and just a blast to commute with. I estimate around 1500 miles on it so I will be changing the oil soon and will report back.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that it's still going strong :-)