Dieselbikin engine upgrade

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

dieselbikin
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Dieselbikin engine upgrade

Post by dieselbikin »

I picked up a Kubota D902, so it's time for an engine upgrade. This engine is rated at 21hp. I will cary over the CVT.

The Kubota is not much bigger than the 10hp clone.

1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
coachgeo

Re: Dieselbikin engine upgrade

Post by coachgeo »

some have had success with the 94c while others have found them to not quiet able to handle the torque of these 3cyl diesels. Will be interesting your results.
dieselbikin

Post by dieselbikin »

Not really my first choice, but I already have it and don't currently have the funds for a 6 speed Ultima with belt drive and clutch. What CVTs are others using on larger engines? Any suggestions for a reasonably priced standard transmission option? Thanks.
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

dieselbikin wrote:Not really my first choice, but I already have it and don't currently have the funds for a 6 speed Ultima with belt drive and clutch. What CVTs are others using on larger engines? Any suggestions for a reasonably priced standard transmission option? Thanks.
Been working on this alot over last month. Very little information out there.

Most helpfull so far is that from around 2000 up the Polaris ATV market has all used the same base CVT primary clutch; just with different weights and springs to match the engine.... including the diesel ranger. Have not gotten exact dates, range of models etc. verified; still working on it. Point is; high probablity you can get a Polaris Primary for say 80-100 bucks and change to the 100 gram weights and springs to get closer to what you need for diesel. Also Team Ind. who makes weights and springs for Polaris' (possible even the base unit) and can set you up with pretty close to exact weight and springs you need for desired speeds and matched to the torque curve of your engine, wheel sizes, sprocket counts, etc. if you get them that data.

Not verified yet if the whole range uses pretty much the same secondary clutch.

Also working on other info such as it seems at one point John Deere Diesel Gator switched to Team Ind. CVT products so that too may open the door to surplus/used parts that would work for our goals.
dieselbikin

Post by dieselbikin »

Thanks for the lead. Since I have plenty of opportunity to shift gears on my gas burner I don't mind keeping the diesel bike CVT. I may try the 94C as a challenge, but the truth is that it's not any less expensive than potentially better options. In that respect it would be more beneficial to diesel biking kind to try something new. I believe the 94C will perform adequately if I use a stronger spring with heavier pucks that I will have to make, in addition to keeping the final drive ratio low enough to avoid slippage. However, I agree this clutch is probably at best a stop gap until a better one is discovered. It would be interesting to start with the 94C and then do a direct comparison to a different clutch.

I'll keep an eye on Ebay. Thanks again.
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
toyotaracer9

Post by toyotaracer9 »

get the ribbed cover for the 94c and you will be ok. once I got the ribbed cover and 9x59g pucks my slipping stopped but I really think a manual would better suit the low revs.
If it isn't broken , break it .
dieselbikin

Post by dieselbikin »

Did you need to replace anything besides the cover? Thanks.
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
dieselbikin

Post by dieselbikin »

Coachgeo,
Best I can tell the 94C/102C/108C all work with my 90D or a 100D driven clutches. If the 94C dosen't cut the mustard I may be able to simply replace it with a 102C. I will just have to compare upgrading the 94C to buying a 102C. I already have numerous pucks and all 4 springs for the 94C. On the other hand I could sell my 94C stuff to finance a 102C.

Toyotaracer9,
If your bike is running good with the 94C I think mine will be fine too. If not I'll try a different primary clutch.

Thanks again for the help.
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
dieselbikin

Post by dieselbikin »

According to this I would have to get different pucks along with the cover:
http://www.bayshorecad.com/Sleds/Litera ... 0Guide.pdf
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
toyotaracer9

Post by toyotaracer9 »

it depends which pucks you have , I dont think they have made the old style pucks in a long time. If your pucks look like this then youre good http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comet-94-C-Pent ... 963wt_1166

they released a statement after they when out of business that the new style pucks worked with both faces.
If it isn't broken , break it .
dieselbikin

Post by dieselbikin »

All my pucks are pentagon, so now I have to buy a ribbed cover. I called Manufacture Supply to verify the cover was in stock and was told Certified Parts Corp. took Comet Ind. over about a year ago and is supplying new parts again. I also verified this is the correct cover for my 94C with a 1" bore for Briggs & Stratton type applications though Don at Comet's tech lines, 1-608-774-0481. Good stuff for a Clutch, Primary & Final Drive sticky.

Here is the part:
http://www.mfgsupply.com/211489a.html
Cross reference page:
http://www.hoffcocomet.com/EpiphanyWeb/ ... spx?ID=131
Last edited by dieselbikin on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
dieselbikin

Post by dieselbikin »

Starting to lay it out. Going to be a tight fit.
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

If it helps space wise remember you can potentially swap out the starter and the alternator for an all in one stater generator. search in here for "starter generator" using the quotes and the thread that hits on that topic should come up.
dieselbikin

Homemade stub shaft

Post by dieselbikin »

I'm almost finished with my stub shaft. Still need to drill and tap the end of the shaft. Basically took a sprocket that fortunately had the same OD as the splined stub shaft. I filled in the area between the teeth in the 4 areas that had to be drilled.
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

I know this is an old topic, but I hope people are still looking!
dieselbikin wrote:According to this I would have to get different pucks along with the cover:
http://www.bayshorecad.com/Sleds/Litera ... 0Guide.pdf
For anyone still looking for this info, here's an updated link!
http://www.bayshorecad.com/Sleds/94C%20 ... 0Guide.pdf

Also - you said
dieselbikin wrote:Thanks for the lead. Since I have plenty of opportunity to shift gears on my gas burner I don't mind keeping the diesel bike CVT. I may try the 94C as a challenge, but the truth is that it's not any less expensive than potentially better options.
I'm also looking at using a larger engine - what were the better options you found?

Thanks!
Alex
Project: 1980 CB750 with Hatz 2g40 (CVT)