how long do your belts last? help please

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

domirat
I don't post much...

how long do your belts last? help please

Post by domirat »

Hi all
I couldnt find my old log in details so I had to re register. this lets me know how long I have been collecting the bits for my bike :- DEK Yanmar clone 410cc,(about 10-12 hp) POLARIS d-bat front cvt pulley, rear pulley from microcar/aixam, either fwd/reverse gearbox from same, or jackshaft .followed by chain to rear wheel. but I only have about 2months till it all has to go back into toy box.

then I read Paul Carters book about him riding Adelaide universities bike around Australia.
( yanmarL100ae-de fitted with comet 500 cvt) " iS THAT bIKE dIESEL mATE?"

SIXTEEN BELTS IN 14,500 KM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT ARE YOUR EXPERIANCES WITH A SIMILAR SET UP. ALL INFO HELPFUL Thanks

dom
coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: how long do your belts last? help please

Post by coachgeo »

think about it. If eating belts were an issue with your type of CVT it would have never been accepted as OEM for use in the car it came out of. Same for the Track. They would not have put a CVT in there if it was an issue. From what I've read the only bikes having belt issues are using set ups outside the parameters of the design of the CVT such as using one out of a low torque high rpm scooter in a bike with high torque low rpm. Missalingment of things could well be part of the issue too.
domirat
I don't post much...

Post by domirat »

Thanks for your view on the factors relating to belt life.
I would also still be interested to hear how long peoples belts are lasting with their different engine trans set ups.
All info interesting to me.
Thanks
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

domirat wrote:...I would also still be interested to hear how long peoples belts are lasting with their different engine trans set ups....
Point was trying to get across is do not assume that what folk relate to you; in reference to wear that occured on their bike, occured with a proper CVT set up in the first place. CVT is a new world and a number of folk out there have Comet set ups and comet at the time had little options to choose from so the set ups were anywhere from margionally ok for the job to a miss match the user tried to survive with.

There is more options out there these days in ratios to belt design so past expreiences may not have a whole lot of relevance.
DieselFly

Post by DieselFly »

I just changed my first belt on my 15 some hp V twin. I had over 3800 miles on it. There was about 1.5mm of wear and it was still working fine so I kept it as a spare. You may run into a problem of mixing manufacturers. There several widthes as well as lengths. Alignment as well as the centre to centre distances of the pullies is critical to function and belt life. The Comet 94C is very adujstable and well matched for the the size of rear tires you need to turn on most bikes. For a simple setup you can't beat the Comet 40 series clutch. I have run them with 406 yanclones and they roll along just fine at 55mph. If you bike is set up right this is about all you will get out of 10hp anyways. I have a CVTech clutch set which works well. The idea of CVT is not new as it was drawn by Leanardo da Vinci. My bike will crusie along at 3020rpm at 55 mph and 3200rpm 70mph. I like the concept of the CVT its light compact and easy to to install. I uploade a link for a CVT tuning manual it should be in this thread. For parts and tuning charts go to www.mfgsupply.com you can't beat there prices. You might need to tune the 102 to match your engine for engagment and shift out speed
Sean
Finished and riding 1975
CB500t Turbo Punsun powered
hardtail.
domirat
I don't post much...

Post by domirat »

Thanks for that,
I chose the d-bat front pulley because it used the yanmar engine mine was cloned from ,so I am hoping its response charicteristics would be close.
the back pulley wasnt available at the scrap yard so I went for the aixam/microcar rear set up(if I use the gearbox I would get fwd& reverse! maybe evn 2wd if i used both outputs! but "walk before you can run") I believe It can be tuned with different springs.

THANKS for the heads up on width I shall look into that.

I had a go in a 6x6 argo 27bhp with two passengers straight up a 45 degree slope! so i was impressed what a well setup cvt is capable of, I also remember good things said about the 1970's Rokon motorcrosser,. but neither of these do high milages, or have diesel single charicteristics,which is why I am grateful for real world relevant experiances and info. anyone else with any more?
DieselFly

Post by DieselFly »

I looked up belt width you need 1 3/16" for the 102C. Length is another thing.
Finished and riding 1975
CB500t Turbo Punsun powered
hardtail.
skoleskibe

Post by skoleskibe »

I've chosen to use a slightly short belt on my yanmar - comet 40 powered bike, just because i like it to use the whole exchange range. ie. i've driven it with a belt length one number smaller than they say i should. as long as the belt does'nt fit snug, at idle. This means that at take off my driving pulley just starts to squeeze and then i've got engagement. with the original belt length, the engagement was at a considerably higher point on the driving pulley thus engagement at a rather higher gearing.

Works just fine for me.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

skoleskibe wrote:I've chosen to use a slightly short belt on my yanmar - comet 40 powered bike, just because i like it to use the whole exchange range. ie. i've driven it with a belt length one number smaller than they say i should. as long as the belt does'nt fit snug, at idle. This means that at take off my driving pulley just starts to squeeze and then i've got engagement. with the original belt length, the engagement was at a considerably higher point on the driving pulley thus engagement at a rather higher gearing.

Works just fine for me.
ahhhh interesting. Belt length....... another area one can fine tune their CVT. What cc/hp yanmar is this bike?
skoleskibe

Post by skoleskibe »

the engine is a (much) used yanmar l100ae, 8-9 bhp with disrupted govenor plunger spring and a comet 40 with very week springs in the drive(engagement rpm) shorter belt (engagement point(gearing)) and a 7,5" driven with slightly softened springtenion (upshifting carcteristic)