fuel pump does work, engine not

Engine's, injection, valve's, timing, crank's etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

arnaud
I luv the smell of Diesel...

fuel pump does work, engine not

Post by arnaud »

okay, the wiltec company send me an engine, battered by the postman so exchanged the head and pump from this one om my old engine, the fuel pump does get a pulse!
i'm fed up with taking everything apart again and again..
the fuel pipe gets at the injector end a small drop of fuel every turn, compression is good but it won't start!
any idea? pumping my leg of over here!
XLerate

Re: fuel pump does work, engine not

Post by XLerate »

You need more than a small drop of fuel. The injection pump has to make enough pressure to get the injectors up to pop-off pressures, so the spray pattern has fuel mixture properly atomized.

You don't give any information on engine type, new or old or any other details so I don't know exactly, or even vaguely, what your talking about.
snoopy

Re: fuel pump does work, engine not

Post by snoopy »

I'm an expert now on L100 pumps and injectors. Wish I wasn't though!

The easiest way to know if it's your fuel pump is whether you have any smoke coming out the exhaust. If not then it's buggered. Even a dying injector will put some fuel into the cylinder. I am in discussion with Henry Price as to why they die (I'm on the 4th) but its down to fuel contamination or fuel overload.

If you do have smoke then it can be either your fuel pump is failing (it will get worse if this is the case) or the injector spray is crap. The injectors used in the chinese engines are crap with shite spray pattern as standard. I bought 10 affirmed to Yanmar's spec and have the other 9 for sale if you need one. (they are 418cc injectors / 186FA).
RTW on a diesel Enfield. Starts mid 2012. http://www.andrewcharnley.com/