Broken down in Italy (L100)

Engine's, injection, valve's, timing, crank's etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

snoopy
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Broken down in Italy (L100)

Post by snoopy »

Bike ran out of fuel (reserve is clogged). I then refilled, bled the air and tried to start but I am having fuel issues. The injector and pump are pretty much brand new and I've tested the injector out the cylinder. Compression is good. I have some smoke coming out of the exhaust but not much. Could it be Italian diesel is crap because that's what it was refilled with?

Power has been declining ever since I got to France but this could be wind related as the aerodynamics make a big difference I find. Still, 45mph in many places is pretty bad on the motorways. I'm not sure if this is related.

The other thing I've noticed is that the governor part is rotating further (I think) than ever before. I wonder if some part of it has worn or shifted and so I'm not getting the full rotation / fuel delivery to enable it to start.

Ideas? I've a week before I've got to set of home (England).
RTW on a diesel Enfield. Starts mid 2012. http://www.andrewcharnley.com/
XLerate

Re: Broken down in Italy (L100)

Post by XLerate »

From what I've read in 2 threads you've gone through 5 injection pumps and maybe as many injectors, or else tried to clean injectors etc. From what I see it's a major filtration - contamination problem. Seems that the filtration isn't fine enough for the size of particles that are getting into the system.

Stateside we have filters down to .50 micron available, but diesel fuel most are a nominal rating of 20 microns at best. Problem is that is the average particle filtration size, not the absolute number for filtration. This means some considerably larger particles can slip through. Enough of those bigger particles over some time and you're dead in the water!

Possibly when you get home you can clean the tank, lines and every related fuel part and install a very fine micron filter. Some fuel lines that formerly ran gasoline can have contaminants that break loose when diesel fuel is used. Because of that I run all new fuel lines including the return lines.
snoopy

Post by snoopy »

From the diagram I'm trying to work out what part of the pump is blocked / broken but it's not obvious. I'm running a big diesel filter (the proper one for the Enfield Indian Diesel) so nothing should have got through. Injector is fine, my original injector had a worn nozzle most likely unrelated.
XLerate

Post by XLerate »

Wish I could help better, what with you broken down! Looking at all the info available I see continuous problems with fuel system clogging up. You mention 'Reserve' is also stopped up now, in addition to pump and injectors.

I've heard several times that on a gasser-to-diesel swap the diesel fuel is a much better solvent than gasoline. Gasoline builds up residues in tank and lines over the years, sometimes hard coatings like shellac mixed with micro-fine rust. The diesel fuel dissolves these deposits and puts them in suspension, ready to jam up your whole system!

Because of that, where it's not the normal size and type particles found in diesel fuel, many guys install a very fine micron filter, usually staged after a normal micron rated filter. A normal diesel fuel filter never was designed to remove particles like this, of this nature or of this size.

In addition of course any leaks in the system are going to make it even harder to get fuel from the tank to injector. So you might be fighting 2 issues at once, that is contaminants and whatever type of minor leaks.
XLerate

Post by XLerate »

Oh, and regarding Italian diesel fuel, the only thing I can think that would be a likely problem is water in fuel. Depends where you tanked up of course. I've been strongly advised to always buy my fuel at whatever local station does the highest volume business, especially truck stop type stations. Far less chance of water in the fuel than some little out of the way station that doesn't turn over their product very fast.

So, potentially you have 3 problems: some minor leaks that lower pumping efficiency, contaminants in the fuel system due to filtration method, and possibly some water in whatever fuel is getting through.

Water may not show up right away, but only after the machine has sat long enough for the water to settle out to the bottom, say overnight or whatever..
snoopy

Post by snoopy »

I dumped all the fuel and replaced, it's the fuel pump again and I've one being couriered from the UK so should be on my way shortly.

I am running a normal micron then very fine diesel filter but it's not enough. It does look like diesel can dissolve sand and knack the pump. Lesson here is, make sure you don't get sand in your tank.

I'm very tempted to ditch the diesel enfield and get a Honda PCX scooter. Too many issues to sort out and I'm getting tired with it.
old clunker

Post by old clunker »

Sorry to read about your engine problems snoopy. I think you're correct XLerate, it's most probably a fuel tank/fuel contamination problem that's causing fuel pump failure.
That's the problem when you convert a secondhand gasolene/petrol engined motorbike to diesel, the inside condition of the fuel tank, since most petrol tanks rust internally as petrol absorbs water/moisture, and slowly rusts the tank in time, from my experience of second hand motorbikes. I always try my best to inspect the inside of the fuel tank with a torch/flashlight, before buying the bike.
With holding petrol, the inside tank surface rust can get powder fine, and easily pass through a lot of fuel filters, as a very fine brown sludge, the tiny iron oxide particles making almost a perfect 'grinding compound paste' for ruining close tolerance metal to metal moving surfaces!
A good way to deal with it, if the bike has been previously running on petrol, is to get either some smaller clean nuts and bolts, or some smaller smooth pieces of gravel found on driveways (washed and cleaned first!), put them in the rusty tank and give them a good shake around inside the tank, with the tank filler blocked off first!
After that, thoroughly wash the tank out, get all the loose bits out, and degrease with a bit of solvent. Then get some internal tank sealant - I think Hitchcock M/c's do one that's compatible with diesel as well. Follow the instructions, and hopefully the tank should be sealed up, and like new.
The other alternative is to get a new tank from the start, when you convert a motorbike to diesel. That's what I have, so no worries about internal rust. The diesel fuel/vegefuel acts as a rust inhibitor inside the tank, since it repels, and doesn't absorb water like petrol.

With the reliability of Chinese L100 yanclone engines, it might be a good idea to put a watch on eBay for second hand Yanmar L100's - they tend to be around £100-£200, and several come up regularly each year. I'm thinking of trying to get a used Yanmar eventually, as they have better overall build quality, and the Chinese clone can then be used as a source of spares.

As for a Honda PCX scooter, less comfortable and usable on long runs, small wheel tyres wear out much much faster than on a motorbike, and quite expensive to replace for the size! and the scoot only has a 1.6 gallon petrol tank.

Try to keep the 'faith' with diesel biking and hopefully it all comes good for you in the end!It's generally just let down by crappy bits fitted to the engine or bike at times!
There's nothing like the smell of burnt vegetable oil in the morning!!

1971 Royal Enfield diesel running on diesel/biofuel.
snoopy

Post by snoopy »

There's a lot to be said for trouble free motoring!