LED tail/brake unit

Wiring, Switches, Alternators, Regulators, etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Oftenlost
Been here a while now..

LED tail/brake unit

Post by Oftenlost »

I was having a minor problem with the 10W festoon(tube shaped) tail bulb fitted on my Sommer. I managed to pop a bulb on the way out and one on the way home from Hamm. The 18W brake bulb has a heavier filament and seemed ok.

My brother recommended a guy called Paul Goff (Google for site) who provided a load of electrical upgrade bits for his "Old Brit Iron"
On his site is an combined LED tail/brake light board that fitted easily into the existing unit with a bit of drilling and hopefully will be immune to vibration damage. He does offer a lifetime guarantee...... I don't know what thats worth?

I dived in with the cheque book and upgraded the H4 headlight to a "Nightbreaker" that is supposed to be 90% better and also a Halogen pilot light. I haven't had a chance to test these bulbs at night yet but when fitted they looked a lot brighter.

I am taking a run over to France this weekend so lets see...... Ian.
Sommer 462 2011 Model. 137mpg and not in a hurry!
penybryn
Been here a while now..

Re: LED tail/brake unit

Post by penybryn »

I haven't used the LEDs, but I have Nightbreakers fitted to my car and they are noticably brighter than standard halogen.
Oftenlost
Been here a while now..

Post by Oftenlost »

Follow up:
A mixed bag.... My tail lights were working when I left home, but had failed as I was leaving the ferry in Dieppe (A mere 15 mile ride away.) This caused a bit of a dilemma as I had not planned on having to fix/replace the LED unit. I rode on without the rear lights while I looked for a bike dealers or an auto electrical shop.

Eventually, as it was getting dusky I became worried about riding a black bike, dressed in black with no tail lights so found a motel. Fortunately the he owner said there was a Kawasaki dealers near by and I was able to pick up a used bulb type tail unit and "Bodge" it onto the back of the bike with gaffer tape. Not pretty but it got me going. I am now home and have sent the LED unit back to the seller. He will hopefully replace it.

I now feel a bit uncertain about LEDs as when they are dead they are dead. At least with the old holder I could carry a spare bulb. I think I might give it one more try, but will carry a pre wired bulb and holder to retro fit if the LED dies again.

On the up side, the new headlight bulbs are great. The old beam was weak and patchy. The new H4 Nightbraker puts out a very solid beam and throws the light a good distance.

If there is a moral to this, it is do not fit new stuff and go off for an extended ride unless you have the ability to replace it should it not work out. Ian.
Oftenlost
Been here a while now..

Post by Oftenlost »

Follow up:
Paul Goff had my replacement LED unit out to me by return post, so no complaints with his customer service!
I asked him if there might be a vibration causing a problem or if I was just unlucky? His guess is just unlucky.

Unit fitted, I went off for a back road run over to Bury Hill (Not far from The Bat and Ball) down some lovely country lanes. I am pleased to say all working ok when I got home, fingers crossed.... Ian.
Dougy
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by Dougy »

I know how you feel, I've just fitted LED indicators and thought I would be bulb free for the next 20 years, till I fitted them and found out one didnt work right out of the packet ! They'll have to work non stop now for a veeeerrrry long time to regain my confidence :|
IGNORE THE RATTLE AND ENJOY THE RIDE
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I'm sure it was always vibration that did for my indicator bulbs. LED indicators fixed it. I have an LED tail light in the Ruggerfield. Very good and will buy 2 for the Tiger soon at Ardingly event on 23rd Oct.