Kabota Rapeseed Oil Bike

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Darren
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Kabota Rapeseed Oil Bike

Post by Darren »

A friend of mine in Denmark has recently modified the engine of cutom bike with a 950cc Kabota engine. He converted the engine using an Elsbett kit so that it can reliably run on 100% rapeseed oil.

I've asked for some more details/pictures.

Enfield Bullet with Hatz IB30
See my sites for veg oil fuel info
www.vegburner.co.uk
www.wiki.obed.org.uk - Open Biofuel Engine Development wiki
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Darren,
any info on this bike would be gratefully received by all here I reckon. More and more people building these bikes now - good solution to spiralling fuel costs and getting about cheaply :D
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
andrewaust
Site Admin

Post by andrewaust »

Hi Darren

Its always great to get some information on the necessary bits to convert an engine for use with alternate oils.

Rapeseed and Canola seems very fluid, so heating would probably not be needed if you live in a warm climate. A real bonus if you want to keep weight down.

Cheers

Andrew :wink:
korup
I'm pretty new here..

Post by korup »

Hey there...

For those of you who'd like to try to understand a bit of Danish, here's a link to a video from the local newsshow showing this beauty....

http://www.tv2nord.dk/default.asp?pageI ... 250507.wmv

/Allan
Have a look at www.treskelgaard.com/bikes for various diesel bike pics from Hamm 2005
Darren

Post by Darren »

There is a website for this bike now.
See http://www.ppo-mc-global-tour.dk/index_en.htm
Enfield Bullet with Hatz IB30
See my sites for veg oil fuel info
www.vegburner.co.uk
www.wiki.obed.org.uk - Open Biofuel Engine Development wiki
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Cheers for that link Darren. I look forward to meeting Henning in Hamm come September. He certainly knows his way around the planet reading of his exploits on his site :D
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
Curtis in Texas

Post by Curtis in Texas »

Hello all, I'm new to this site and wanted to offer Henning a place to stay here in North Central Texas as he tours the United States. Just North of Fort Worth Texas.
I have a nice guest house and shop at his disposal should he wish to come this way.
I am not new to motorcycles or Bio Diesel Conversions. Just never put the two together. Until now!
Anyway.I'll introduce myself in another thread rather than Hi Jack this one.

But, I am really excited about getting to meet others like myself doing their own conversions.

And help out with the weary travelers. More for myself than them. They can count on endless questions! :)

Regaurds,
Curtis in Texas
It only cost a little more to go first class,
You just can't stay as long...
coachgeo

Re: Kabota Rapeseed Oil Bike

Post by coachgeo »

Yeah ancient thread but better to update old than be a bit repetitive.

Just passing on that Elsbett is now making kits for small 3cyl engines out of Auto's that some here have used in diesel bikes
Elsbett wrote: SVO/WVO kits for some of the smallest vehicles. Now you may find in our online-shop kits for Mini-car brands like Aixam, Ligier, Microcar and Piaggio.....

Alexander Noack

ANC / ELSBETT conversion technology

Marquardsholz F4

D-91161 Hilpoltstein

Internet: http://www.anc.me

Internet: http://www.elsbett.info

Shop: http://www.greasenergy-shop.com

e-mail: noack@anc.me

e-mail: noack.elsbett@gmail.com

phone: +49 (0) 9174 9760988

fax: +49 (0) 32226846372

Last edited by coachgeo on Tue May 05, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

Darren wrote:Elsbett kit so that it can reliably run on 100%
That is incorrect.
Elsbett is a scam company, like Lovecraft in California was, albeit a better run scam.
A diesel cannot be "converted" to run on something other than diesel with just a simple glowplug/injector/filter change or just heating the oil.
Vegetable oils have natural non-combustibles that will cause damage to the engine's rings and injection system.
The only correct way to "convert" an engine is to chemically convert the fuel into biodiesel.

People often attempt to make the argument "Oh, well, Diesel made his engine to run on VO".
Wrong. Dr. Diesel designed his engine to run on coal dust. It was only after traveling to Paris and seeing somebody else's engine running on peanut oil that he decided to copy that idea.
Even then, he designed his engine to run on peanut oil. All modern (1950's+) diesels are designed to run on diesel fuel unless otherwise specifically stated by the manufacturer. An engine being marketed as "biodiesel compatible" does not mean it can run on vegetable oil.

Again, any "conversion" or "kit" that claims you can run on unmodified vegetable oil is a scam.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

In 2007 veg oil was relatively cheap even buying from a supermarket. Since the worlds interest in alternative fuels veg oil has shot up in price and it's not really any cheaper than diesel (in the UK anyway)
I tried to run my car on waste veg oil but I found that most outlets eg restaurants and fast food take aways were locked in to contracts to recyclers so it was getting very hard to obtain so I gave up.
It was an older diesel car so it would take veg oil but modern cars don't like it without expensive mods.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

UAofE wrote:
Darren wrote:Elsbett kit so that it can reliably run on 100%
That is incorrect.
Elsbett is a scam company, like Lovecraft in California was,....
Well aware of Lovecraft....... they did shotty work and gave the veg. fuel biz a very bad name. Also love craft sold kits for WVO. If I recall right Elsbett kits still are sold NOT for WVO fueling...... but pure plant oil (SVO) only. They never supported WVO fuel use.

To say all are scam is too big a interpolation. There are too many long term veg oil engines still running today to say that. Also Elsbett corp; handed down to Elsbett Jr. has the longest connection to the veg fueling history than anyone in the world beside Rudolph Diesel himself. Many elements of the modern diesel engines stemmed from his father; Elsbett Sr.. now deceased, multi fuel compression ignition (CI) engine designs. (Example his cupped pistons used as a swirl chamber to atomize fuel instead of a swirl chamber in the head (IDI) was among the first opening the doors for Direct injection (DI) engines. These designs came from his multi fuel CI engines. I've searched and read his patents on them. His patents were for "multi fuel" engine designs thus it appears every "diesel" engine designer snatched the ideas and incorporated them with out patent infringement to better atomize strictly diesel. Some others were on similar track as he at the time to though so hard to say.

Elsbett is the real deal.....
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

gilburton wrote:Since the worlds interest in alternative fuels veg oil has shot up in price
Alternative fuels had nothing to do with the price change. Its a global market and the "GMO" fad is causing food prices to raise again significantly because farmers can't afford to keep up with food demand without technology to be pest and disease resistant.
It was an older diesel car so it would take veg oil
That is also incorrect.
Older cars were more tolerant of abuse and poor fuel quality because of their looser manufacturing standards and lower injection pressures allowed more of the non-combustibles to remain combined with the combustibles. Modern engines pressurize fuel so high and atomize fuel so efficiently that those non-combustibles separate out and cause even more damage more quickly.
Also love craft sold kits for WVO. If I recall right Elsbett kits still are sold NOT for WVO fueling
There is no difference except much greater contamination and oxidation in WVO.
To say all are scam is too big a interpolation.
Yet, for example, a pyramid scheme and "multi-level marketing" are the same thing, except one has a physical product.
Just as Lovecraft and Elsbett both sell vegetable oil "conversions", except one has better PR.
Also Elsbett corp; handed down to Elsbett Jr. has the longest connection to the veg fueling history
Tornado Air has been selling "intake swirlers" for 18 years, their product doesn't do anything. MacKeeper has been selling "maintenance" software for 5 years, their product is considered malware. Carfax has been selling "car history reports" for 31 years, their "reports" can be requested through the government for free.
Length of time on the market doesn't necessarily validate a product/service.
Elsbett Sr.. now deceased, multi fuel compression ignition (CI) engine designs.
So, how many engines on the market has he designed?
(Example his cupped pistons used as a swirl chamber to atomize fuel instead of a swirl chamber in the head (IDI) was among the first opening the doors for Direct injection (DI) engines.
Direct injection was developed over 90 years ago. http://www.corporate.man.eu/en/press-an ... 25909.html
I've searched and read his patents on them
Patents do not validate an idea's merit, they only grant ownership of an idea itself. Being granted a patent only means you thought of something before somebody else and applied for a patent.
Seriously, browse through the patent office some day. You'll find some outlandish things people have patented that would never be viable in the real world.
His patents were for "multi fuel" engine designs thus it appears every "diesel" engine designer snatched the ideas and incorporated them with out patent infringement
That is the same line every single designer of a "revolutionary" engine uses to market their vaporware. Look up "6-stroke engine", "100mpg carb" and "Smokey Yunick hot-vapor engine", among many others.

Just because an engine "can" run on something doesn't mean it can run on it. Any diesel "can" run on gasoline or kerosene, but not for long without injection system and engine damage.
VO/WVO/WMO are the same. Filtering and heating them only slows the rate of damage. Just as engines running from a two-tank "conversion" will last much longer than a single tank "conversion".
I know of people who have run for thousands of miles on used engine oil and ATF. When comparing their engine's health to ones of similar age and miles, their engines have strikingly worse emissions and NVH.
I also have friends that run their Mercedes' on WVO and biodiesel. My 300D runs quieter, smoother and has lower particulate emissions than theirs, despite having 100k miles more than either of them and being modified for 25% more power.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Light oil combustion by compression + heat... the principle is the same be it a light petroleum oil (diesel) or a vegetable oil. Just have to have a system timed and fuel atomized properly for the fuel intended to be burned. Can't change those laws of Physics. So yes older designs which were less refined to burn "pure" diesel have a better chance of being adapted to veg oil fuels. Some of the engines we use in our diesel bikes are of older design such as my Kubota which is IDI.

Obviously Im not going to change your mind and that is fine. Just offering an educated devils advocate set of information so readers can decide for themselves.

PS. Here is Elsbett history to support my claims

http://www.elsbett.com/gb/about-us/history.html