Exhaust Guard

Doing stuff with air...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Stuart
Site Admin

Exhaust Guard

Post by Stuart »

Well, got my new stainless up and over pipe. All I need now is to get a trouser guard from an old bike and fit it where the bend is. My leg is a fair distance away but a flapping trouse is sure to be holed!
It was a tight sqeeze getting the sidestand in (I had to lop 16mm of the end) as the diagonal came down about an inch further forward than was ideal and got in it's way. Problem was it had to be like that because the tightness of the bend where the silencer goes on was a bit restrictive. I'll remove the end pipe for normal riding and just fit it for the MOT (Ministry of Transport road test).
Anyone any ideas on how to fix a guard on simply? I guess it depends on which one I end up getting really.
Anorak_ian
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by Anorak_ian »

Hi Stuart, you may want to look at Harley Davidson guards, most simply use a jubilee clip type fixing. Ebay is your best bet, at this time of year no one is bidding.

Nice forum by the way.

Ian :)
Stuart
Site Admin

cheers

Post by Stuart »

Cheers Ian :) I'll have a dig on that. I just heard the other day that my nearest Harley Dealership (in Dorking) closed down so, as you say, ebay is probably the best bet.
Failing that a workmate suggested I could silver solder a couple of hankbushes on and screw a Jap guard into them. But the Harley option sounds good providing I can find an angled one.

Stuart 8)
Stuart
Site Admin

exhaust heat shield

Post by Stuart »

Well the sun popped out for five minutes today and so I went to the scrap yard to see if I could find a bit of pipe to make a temorary heat shield. As you can see from the pics I found something bent and stainless only it was not quite the right angle. Never mind, it'll do for now and save the trouser leg getting singed :?
And with the leftovers I made this in an effort to keep the soot away from the back of the bike. Only wish It had a bend in it. Never mind :?
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
balboa_71
I luv the smell of Diesel...

exhaust guard

Post by balboa_71 »

Stuart,
To quote the people I work for: " something is better than nothing"
:wink: With that in mind, anything you do is an improvement over what you had before. Up pipes look great, but I prefer to route them forward if at all possible :)

I've got to do some work to my wonky exhaust, as it is rusting with our few days of rain we get each year. I'll probibly take the rusty part to work, bead balast it and paint it heat resistance flat black. What I'd really like to do is right behind my right leg, do a 90° up turn and put one of the flapper things on it, like you see on diesel trucks :twisted:

Cris
1980 GS850 converted to 10hp diesel clone power.
2006 Jetta TDI for road work.
2007 Bonneville
Stuart
Site Admin

Blasting

Post by Stuart »

It's not ideal having it go over the top like that but I just couldn't get the sidestand on with it going under. Just getting tired of lifting the RE onto the centre stand all the time :)
Last thing I blasted was a 400/4 airbox. Complicated arrangment but I made a gun up and fed it with my compressor and literally poured real sand in the top :!: It worked quite well but took a while. Painted that with twin pack car paint (goes well 'ard). I had to wear my crash hat whilst doing it as I had no chamber. Stuff went everywhere :!:
I use the twin pack paint for all stuff now and find it ideal for touching up rust spots on the RE. Gotta wear a mask though or you get some very bad headaches :cry:
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
alan.rand
I don't post much...

Exhaust Guard

Post by alan.rand »

Hi if you want to make your own exhaust I have seen an exhaust made from the drum of a washing machine or tumble dryer as they are stainless with the holes already in them.They were then fitted with jubilee clips as the previous gentleman has mentioned for the harley ones.The bracket for the clip can be made from same drum and rivited on.
Al
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Cheers for that tip Alan. Yes, what I ended up with wasn't great. It could do with extending down a bit because it's ok when I ride but not when I take my foot from the peg.
I'm sure I'll get something soon enough. Just gave her a once over because I have an MOT coming up. She should sail through hopefully :D