CVT and crank

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

arnaud
I luv the smell of Diesel...

CVT and crank

Post by arnaud »

Maybe a stupid question since i've got no idea how tihgt the tension must be on the belt of a CVT thingy but..
Is the crank bearing(bronze bush) and the crank itself normally up to the strain of the CVT belt?

2. the second; drive'bedisc hast to be secured on an axle, which ofcourse rolls in bearings. These must be fixed in a housing in a strudy way. are the bearings you can find in a normal(enfield) gearbox large enough. or do you prefer bigger measure to transfer the strain and, ofcourse heat since no oil cooling is at hand?

3rd, if these drives work so good(do they) why aren't there already many people who built in a 1, or 2, or even 3 cylinder diesel in a cheap ural ur dnepr frame with cardan final drive?
coachgeo

Re: CVT and crank

Post by coachgeo »

arnaud wrote:... why aren't there already many people who built in a 1, or 2, or even 3 cylinder diesel in a cheap ural ur dnepr frame with cardan final drive?
Had the same question. Answer I got from a Dnepr builder.. the final drive on them turn the wrong way. In a Dnepr the transmission rev. the output drive to match the final drive. soo.. it would be quite complicated to do this.

I do NOT know if this equates to a Ural or not.
cumorglas

Post by cumorglas »

arnaud,

tension on the belt varies, but seems no more than a chain primary would be. engine shaft bearings should have no trouble.

the axle for the driven (we call it a jackshaft but axle might be more accurate) can use whatever bearings are appropriate. i am using a set of self aligning sealed units left over from repairing a hay baler. they might be overkill but they were already paid for.

if the dnepr turns the other way you could turn the engine 180 deg and use a loooong jackshaft. ive been dreaming of a goldwing ever since i saw heiko's cx500 with a cvt.
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

cumorglas wrote:if the dnepr turns the other way you could turn the engine 180 deg and use a loooong jackshaft. ive been dreaming of a goldwing ever since i saw heiko's cx500 with a cvt.
Still, I wonder. The CX500 does 160kph at 9000rpm. Your average diesel will do 3600. Even if you overrev it to 4000rpm, you're stuck with 71kph. Yet Heiko claims 100kph I think. How does that work? Even 0.9 CVT overdrive capability isn't enough.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
arnaud

Post by arnaud »

coachgeo wrote:
arnaud wrote:... why aren't there already many people who built in a 1, or 2, or even 3 cylinder diesel in a cheap ural ur dnepr frame with cardan final drive?
Had the same question. Answer I got from a Dnepr builder.. the final drive on them turn the wrong way. In a Dnepr the transmission rev. the output drive to match the final drive. soo.. it would be quite complicated to do this.

I do NOT know if this equates to a Ural or not.
with a dnepr, the cardan shaft turns anti-clockwise like the diesel engine, so i misunderstand you or i don't get the problem.
Ural turns the same way for sure..
( iv'driven both for several years
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

arnaud wrote:....with a dnepr, the cardan shaft turns anti-clockwise like the diesel engine, so i misunderstand you or i don't get the problem.
That is opposite information as I understood it; (or misunderstood it) so sorry cant be of any help. You know more than I do. Sounds like it would work fine by you info. CVT to a fixed shaft with a tail on it similar to what sticks out of the Ural/Dnepr tranny, hook up your drive line and go. Go for it. Sounds like a great project. With Overdrive CVT you can then hit better highway speeds too. (If brakes can handle it). Sounds like it would be a sweet set up.
cumorglas

Post by cumorglas »

Sphere wrote: Still, I wonder. The CX500 does 160kph at 9000rpm. Your average diesel will do 3600. Even if you overrev it to 4000rpm, you're stuck with 71kph. Yet Heiko claims 100kph I think. How does that work? Even 0.9 CVT overdrive capability isn't enough.
ibc's may have more overdrive available. my setup had no overdrive. so i adjusted with a weird choice of jackshaft and wheel sprockets gives me a final drive around 2.2:1. I borrowed my uncles 'wing tonight. at 60 mph(just under 100kph) in 6th gear i was pulling 3400 rpms. i don't know if 6th is overdrive or 1:1 though. have to find that out.

arnaud wrote:
with a dnepr, the cardan shaft turns anti-clockwise like the diesel engine, so i misunderstand you or i don't get the problem.
That makes more sense to me. it would seem those old bmw and similar shafties are the ancestor of all shafties and i can't see why everone after them would be backwards.
I think the real reason you don't see a ton of them with cvt's is sphere's question above. on a dnepr/ural/oldschool beemer it is hard to change final drive ratios. and the options there are, are still not tall enough.
if you could live with a jackshaft you could give yourself any percent overdrive you wanted. it would be at the cost of some friction loss from the extra pair of sprockets and chain, but it wouldn't be much.
arnaud

Post by arnaud »

I think an answers is that an ural; engine is turning clockwise. So our engines should not have that problem, but then i don't understand the rebuilts of an diesel engine with the gearbox. :roll:
As far for the final drive ratio's, for ural and dnepr there are several possibilities. There are even more options then the sidecar drive and the 16% longer solo drive set.
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

cumorglas wrote:ibc's may have more overdrive available. my setup had no overdrive. so i adjusted with a weird choice of jackshaft and wheel sprockets gives me a final drive around 2.2:1. I borrowed my uncles 'wing tonight. at 60 mph(just under 100kph) in 6th gear i was pulling 3400 rpms. i don't know if 6th is overdrive or 1:1 though. have to find that out.
Actually the final drive ratio is irrelevant in my calculations, I just take topspeed with max rpm and go from there. But perhaps he's just skipping the gearbox entirely and using the shaft drive directly connected to the driven. No I did not think of that myself :mrgreen:
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
cumorglas

Post by cumorglas »

Sphere wrote:
cumorglas wrote:ibc's may have more overdrive available. my setup had no overdrive. so i adjusted with a weird choice of jackshaft and wheel sprockets gives me a final drive around 2.2:1. I borrowed my uncles 'wing tonight. at 60 mph(just under 100kph) in 6th gear i was pulling 3400 rpms. i don't know if 6th is overdrive or 1:1 though. have to find that out.
Actually the final drive ratio is irrelevant in my calculations, I just take topspeed with max rpm and go from there. But perhaps he's just skipping the gearbox entirely and using the shaft drive directly connected to the driven. No I did not think of that myself :mrgreen:

that is exactly what the video shows he did.

the reason i brought up final drive is that is how rpm turns into speed. top speed is the reason i chose such a tall final.
cumorglas

Post by cumorglas »

arnaud wrote:I think an answers is that an ural; engine is turning clockwise. So our engines should not have that problem, but then i don't understand the rebuilts of an diesel engine with the gearbox. :roll:
As far for the final drive ratio's, for ural and dnepr there are several possibilities. There are even more options then the sidecar drive and the 16% longer solo drive set.
in this application the cvt is instead of a gear box.
if taller gears are available for final that would make such a swap easier. i think it would be worth the effort to change the bevel gears if the end result was a low maintenance autoshifting attractive bike. i wish dnepr's were as cheap here in the states as they seem to be in europe.
arnaud

Post by arnaud »

Then get a broken down harley (cannot be rare)and rebuild it with a diesel..
cumorglas

Post by cumorglas »

arnaud wrote:Then get a broken down harley (cannot be rare)and rebuild it with a diesel..
they definitely are common, but not cheap. it is a very easy swap comparatively.

but i am excited about the cvt to a shaftie. around here it is not uncommon to find 1980's goldwings with engines damaged through operator headspace issues on craigslist for a couple hundred dollars. i am pretty sure it would work fine. 'wings are big comfortable, practical. and ugly. i love the look of the dnepr and would put studded tires on a two wheel drive and ride it all year. just not likely this year.
arnaud

Post by arnaud »

There are more japbikes with cardan.. Suzuki also made a GT type with it.
A honda CX is also pisible and there are a fer qute models from them..
What about a smaller BMW?
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

I have heard that if you shop Craigslist and ebay you can sometimes find good bargains on Goldwing final drives. These are removed when folk convert their Goldwing to a Trike. With this you can look into converting your chain bike to a shafty
arnaud

Post by arnaud »

And don't forget that a cardan shaft drive takes much more power then a chain drive, maybe something to consider when using a 10HP engine..
cumorglas

Post by cumorglas »

the 10 hp yanclone is in the little kawasaki cruiser. when i do the 'wing or similar i am thinking three cylinder watercooled. maybe turbo.