jackshaft Diameter, Sprockets... to mate a CVT system with.

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

jackshaft Diameter, Sprockets... to mate a CVT system with.

Post by coachgeo »

Sprocket for chain on a CVT bike.

ok.. so you have decided to go with a CVT thru a jackshaft.

So now one has to know what the size of shaft a CVT driven pully takes. Anyone know? is it standard thruout the CVT lines? Keyed, tapered orr?

sooo.. now one decides to be smart and match jackshaft diameter with most common available chain sprockets.

soooo... now one has to determine what company(s) have the widest range of sprocket counts ?? and find out what diameter shaft they are made to fit. Once you know... you make your jackshaft to match this. Is it Keyed orr?

... or do all MC's use the same sprocket shaft diameter?

If so what is it? Is it keyed, orrr??
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Re: jackshaft Diameter, Sprockets... to mate a CVT system with.

Post by Crazymanneil »

Coach,

Don't know much about the CVT side but you have quite a range of sprockets available. Don't just think about motorbike sprockets, think industrial sprockets too. You should be able to get the tooth size to match your chain and then a stupendous range of teeth numbers etc. You could go for pilot bored or bored to match your shaft, but a more flexible option is taperlock. This way you pick your sprocket and it comes pre-bored. You can then get a range of taperlock bushes that go between the sprocket and different size shafts. These even come in metric or imperial, the only limitation is the max size of the shaft needs to be small enough to fit inside the sprocket (plus the bush)!

Neil
Smart engined 800cc turbo diesel triumph tiger. 100mpg (imp)
Belfast to Kathmandu overland, 2010/2011 - http://www.suckindiesel.com
Bangkok to Sydney ???
cumorglas

Post by cumorglas »

coach,

you are making it too hard. the driven will be whatever size you can get for whatever price. my comet 40 driven used a 3/4" keyed shaft. it was also available in 1" the 3/4 was cheapest on ebay and matched the extra bearings i had leftover from a rebuild on the baler. woohoo.
sprockets can be had in any size and shafting. cheaply. supply houses like mcmaster carr, are the place to look. i have a tractor supply co near my house. they have 12 feet of sprockets to choose from. with options of shaft size, tooth count and pitch. if you live in a rural area you have to have one of these stores nearby. go stand in that aisle and visualize for a bit. the people in the store are used to people standing in that section and scratching their heads.

the trick with the jackshaft is getting it mounted so it does NOT move relative to the engine. i.e. you cant mount the engine on rubber and the jackshaft to the frame.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

cumorglas wrote:coach,...
sprockets can be had in any size and shafting...
That's interesting. Not what I expected at all. Definately will make things easier.
i have a tractor supply co near my house. ... if you live in a rural area you have to have one of these stores nearby. ...
Yep, We got them here too. I'm about as rural as you can get. just outside the city the minimal acreage for typical house is probably 10-15 acres. I will stop by possibly even tomorrow... if their open (Good Friday). I have part of the day off.
toyotaracer9

Post by toyotaracer9 »

If your bike has a 530 chain/sprocket you can use #50 industrial sprockets and chain . I would recommend a 1" shaft for the jack shaft , since the torque will be pulling so hard from the drive chain .
If it isn't broken , break it .
albertaphil

Post by albertaphil »

The comet 90D driven sheave I have to go with the 94C drive has a 1" keyed bore, so that is the jackshaft it needs. As for sprockets, I had very good luck with Martin Sprockets. Send them an email (you can get the address from their site, which you can google.) Just tell them what you are doing and someone will get back to you who you can have a conversation with, and between the two of you, you can figure out what the best plan of action is. Martin will make you anything you want.

For me, they machined a taper-loc bushing to fit my crankshaft such that I can now change sprockets without touching my bushing. Theoretically, if I wanted to go belt drive, I could get a belt pulley to fit my bushing too. The bushing cost $90CAD, which I figure was pretty good value considering the work they had a machinist put into it, plus all the emails and phone calls with the Martin rep.

I guess the point is that Martin Sprockets did very well by me, and I recommend them. I think they are based in Texas, too.

On my bike (still in progress) most of the head scratching I did while I was wanting to work on it but not able to because of other time commitments really worked itself out...when I got working on the bike, there was usually only one way to accomplish what I wanted once I got fitting the parts together.

Cheers,
Phil