BNR Clutch Bearing Grease Info

Clutches, Chain & Belt Drives

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Stuart
Site Admin

BNR Clutch Bearing Grease Info

Post by Stuart »

After myself and Ian talked about BNR clutches and the possibilities of getting a sealed bearing for one (it would have to be very thin) I phoned Hitchcocks today to see what the score was. I must say they were most helpful.
Alan phoned the manufacturers of the clutches and was told something even Hitchcocks didn't know. Sure they have been using Hi Temp grease on the bearings but not the type BNR recommend.

They say that you should only use Castrol Spheerol B2 grease because of it's Hi Temp and Anti Fling qualities. I'm told it will last anything up to 10,000 miles :D

As far as I remember there was no indication as to what grease I should use when I got my belt kit and so I used the wrong stuff first off. It lasted 1000 miles only. I'm now using Hi Temp stuff but not that now specified, (it'll probably fling off). I shall change to it when I next need to grease up.
As yet they have not located a sealed bearing of any type that could fit this clutch. I wonder why they don't get a batch made? Not that hard these days. Anyone paying £600 or whatever for a clutch would pay a bit more for a bearing.

Order from these guys and get a free base ball cap :D http://www.geo-broughton.co.uk/specialOffers.aspx?id=6
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
oldbmw
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: BNR Clutch Bearing Grease Info

Post by oldbmw »

I am not entirely surprised Hitchcocks did not know what grease to use. They did/do not know which way around to install the core plugs they make for the gearchange kit they make/sell. I got around it by buying parts from the Watsonian kit.

On the subject of grease, What is the best stuff for Enfield ( non O ring ) chains ?
Larry
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Thanks for the info Stuart.

Of course we should have had this info when we bought the clutch, the things cost enough.
Unfortunately there were no pictures on the internet of the clutch in bits, if there were I would never have bought mine, just don't like the open bearing running on bare steel, clutch centre design. So I'll be replacing it not to far in to the future.

As for Hitchcock's, after market parts, I wasn't too happy about the trials gears from them, they seemed a lot softer metal than the normal gears, I wonder how long they will last. Ho Hum.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Just a quick update on the HI Temp grease. While it's not what they specified (it actually has a slighty high temp spec) I can report that it is far superior to the standard stuff I packed it out with last year. As you know I took the bike to Germany and back this year and have attended several gatherings since and use it each weekend. It's still working perfectly. When it starts dragging I'll know it's time to re-grease it.
Top marks to the green loctite holding the clutch nut on :D Good stuff! 8)
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

I’ve not seen green loctite before, only red thread lock and blue lock and seal. Blue being better than the red. Your not colour blind are you Stuart? :lol:
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

This has piqued my interest as I'm looking for threadlock to put studs into my gearbox (which need to be made longer now).

Anyhoo, the studs were originally in with red loctite and I recall seeing on one of those "build or bust" type programmes that the customs builders rule was use blue loctite for stuff that needs to come apart again and red for stuff that doesn't. (the studs in my gearbox were a right pig to get out!)

So I wanted red stuff but had a right ol time trying to find it here in UK. The red stuff seems to be loctite 271? Best I came up with is loctite 270 which is green and might be what Stuart is talking about? According to manufacturer its permenant and is their "new" product line. According to the specs the biggest difference seems to be that the red stuff is suitable for higher temperatures. There is also purple stuff which is low strength.

Time will tell i guess...

N
Smart engined 800cc turbo diesel triumph tiger. 100mpg (imp)
Belfast to Kathmandu overland, 2010/2011 - http://www.suckindiesel.com
Bangkok to Sydney ???
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Right, I'm at work with the stuff I use here lined up in front of me. Not sure about the Red you mention but the Pink (I think) is the weakest. I have 221 and 222 of that here. Subtitled as screw lock.
Blue, is medium. I have 243 here. Subtitled as Nut lock.
Green is the strong stuff. Here I have 270 and 290. (270 subtitled as Studlock - 290 subtitles as Penetrating Adhesive. I have bush fit stuff which is green as well. I'm sure that is 270.
All bottles are labelled as thread lockers.
I think (if memory serves) that bearing fit is yellow? Hard stuff anyway.
Use a heatgun to release any of the above. Works a treat 8)
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

Sounds about right to me. Bearing fit is an orangy yellowy colour. Shop only had the big expensive bottle when I had just one bearing to fit so lemmie know if anyone is looking some :roll:

N
Smart engined 800cc turbo diesel triumph tiger. 100mpg (imp)
Belfast to Kathmandu overland, 2010/2011 - http://www.suckindiesel.com
Bangkok to Sydney ???
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Hi Stuart

What grease did you end up using?
I am currently running a non sealed bearing on an Enfield clutch that used to be immersed in oil with the same issues (ie what grease to inject). Any ideas?
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I can't get to the stuff to see just now but will post later. If I were you I'd use the stuff I linked to. Saying that, my bike is still going ok on the hi temp stuff I used :D
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Stuart wrote:I can't get to the stuff to see just now but will post later. If I were you I'd use the stuff I linked to. Saying that, my bike is still going ok on the hi temp stuff I used :D
Thanks Stuart, the only issue with that is that its nearly 60 pounds!

Although I have noticed on my "design", due to my box being filled with 50/50 grease/ep90 oil, enough oil leaks out through the shaft to lubricate the bearings :)
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

This is the grease I'm using on my open clutch bearings http://www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/greas ... iTemp.html Hope that helps!= :!: :wink:
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Perfect, that should do me! Thanks.